Who is experiencing Turkopticon lag?

six

Site Representative
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have some reports about lag on the old Turkopticon (http://turkopticon.ucsd.edu).

I have some questions:

- Who is experiencing lag on the *old* Turkopticon?
- If you are experiencing lag on the *old* Turkopticon, where? Is the extension/userscript loading slowly, or is it on the site itself?
- Is anybody who is using the *new* Turkopticon (http://turkopticon.info) experiencing lag?

Thank you!

Reactions: kryss and aveline

minkyboodle

"And there you have it"
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I am. The TO page times out if I click to visit it directly from the link in a hit (or sometimes when I go to log in). There is also an issue where TO as a whole lags up the mturk page and causes it to take a while to load hit or requester pages. I have mmmturkeybacon's Color Coded Search and Color Coded Queue as well, and sometimes the TO data/colors don't load for a long time or at all. I've not experienced any issues with TO2.

six

Site Representative
Reaction score
Hi minkyboodle @minkyboodle, thanks for this info. Some more questions:

- When the TO site times out, is there an error message or something? If so, can you paste the error or take a screenshot? Or is it just a generic browser error message because the server never replies? If the server just doesn't reply, does the problem usually go away when you reload, or not?

- About the script, which version are you using? If you are not using turkopticon-async (https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/14926-turkopticon-async), does using turkopticon-async solve the problem?

Thank you again!

Reactions: kryss

SleepComa

Drifting through the stars...
Reaction score
used async and still no fix, running the latest mts on chrome.

six

Site Representative
Reaction score
Hi SleepComa @SleepComa, thanks for the info - a few more questions:

1. Are you on the "old" mturk (http://mturk.com) or the "new" mturk (http://worker.mturk.com)?

2. If you are on the "old" mturk, is there any difference when you use the new mturk?

3. Does the lag go away if you disable the other scripts and extensions you are using? I know this is not a solution, I just want to check to see if the issue is with scripts interacting with each other. I remember a few years ago there were reports of different scripts messing each other up.

If it does, I vaguely remember somebody saying that changing the script execution order in Tampermonkey to make sure Turkopticon ran first solved some of the issues that people were experiencing back then. I don't know if this will still work or even if this is the issue here though.

I'm going to set a little program to watch the server load closely to see if it's on the server side.

Right now there are between 450 and 500 connections to the server and it is running at between 3% and 6% CPU usage and 50% memory usage. So I guess I will be a little surprised if it's a server load issue. But there are probably times when the server load is higher, so we'll see!

lilly-to

Site Representative
Reaction score
For Turkopticon.ucsd.edu, the sysadmins just patched the system. We're not sure if this is a fix though.
Are people seeing an improvement in loading time?

When you were having problems, were you getting the TO1 timeouts consistently or intermittently? If intermittently, then how often would you say it was happening?

We're trying to figure out if the patch got us out of the water, or if we need to keep searching for the problem.

Thank you,
lilly + six on the phone

kimadagem

Reaction score
I've been in touch with Lilly and Six via email but Six suggested I post here.

I'm having problems with both TOs. TO2 has been slow, and sometimes not loading due to "too many users," for at least a couple of months. TO1 just started having problems for me a couple of weeks ago - slow loading and sometimes timeouts - and it was holding up Hit Scraper. At the suggestion of someone on Reddit I switched to the asynch script but it didn't really make a difference, except that now Hit Scraper usually shows "n/a" in the TO column instead of a number rating.

I found out about this thread yesterday when someone on Reddit posted about it. I read the post about script execution order and thought about experimenting with that, but I have a lot of scripts and it would take too long to experiment with the order. Today I decided to try working with just the ones I can't work without - Hit Scraper, Hit DB, and the two TO scripts. It didn't really make a difference with TO2; I still got lots of "overloaded" messages which required a page reload.

Lilly, for TO1 - it's possible that the site was being worked on while I was working; at one point I got an error message related to parsing (sorry, that's not a term I'm familiar with here). But I saw only 1 timeout (wasn't able to get a screenshot unfortunately) and it was fairly early in my "shift," at around 4 pm EDT.

I work only a couple of hours a day, in the afternoon, and I'm finished now, so I won't be able to report on anything until tomorrow. Hopefully others will though and we can see if what the UCSD people did helped. I would also really love to see TO2 work better; I use it more than TO1 (all my reviews go there now) and the "overloaded" messages really slow me down.

Thanks for all your, and Six's help with this.

six

Site Representative
Reaction score
Hi K @kimadagem, all, we've taken some steps to try to make TO2 a little faster. The TO2 userscript does *not* seem to be any faster *but* the 'site under heavy load' messages seem to have stopped. If you see any more 'site under heavy load' messages on TO2, please let me know! (You can post here, I have notifications for this thread on.)

kimadagem

Reaction score
Thank you Six. I just finished work and I can report - no timeouts for TO1, just a few slow loads. For TO2 though I got 1 "queue full" message and 1 full timeout - something I don't think I've ever seen with TO2 before. In case it helps, that came through at about 5pm my time (EDT).

I did get a screenshot of the timeout message. I can't paste an image and my account is too new for links so I've manually typed it from the image:

"Secure Connection Failed

The connection to turkopticon.info was interrupted while the page was loading.
  • The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
  • Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem."
(I can't find a way to do quote marks here)

I don't know if this is related but there were also several times the TO2 script wouldn't load an icon next to the hit title, mostly on my daily status page. In one case I had to manually create a review without the auto-filled fields, which wasn't fun; I had trouble finding the requester ID (new requester, no other reviews and no hits posted by then; I copied it from the URL that was searching for hits).

Also, there are some newer reports on the Reddit thread I started about TO1, saying it's still slow. The most recent was from about a half hour ago.

I don't do hits on weekends but I do log in to update my records, so if you need me to try anything just let me know. I just subscribed to this thread so it will notify me if there are any new posts.

Reactions: six

six

Site Representative
Reaction score
Hi again kimadagem, sorry - my previous post was a little too soon. I made a few more changes after that, which should explain the TO2 problems you had.

I do think TO2 should be stable now, but I'll keep an eye on it over the weekend and try to handle anything else that comes up. Contrary to my previous post I *do* think the TO2 extension should be faster now too.

I'll look into the TO1 slowness next. Thanks again.