VPN

Eudardo Romero

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi, I hope you're well. Thanks for leaving me in the forum. Now I'm not in the US UU., And I'm still using the Mturk account. $ 20 per week in the country where I am; It is a fortune that I am afraid of Vpn, in the United States. I also used them to avoid being spied on, and hackers. What do you say? Thank you!

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
What exactly is the question? Did you move from the US to a different country? Are you asking if using a VPN while Turking is safe?

I'm going to assume the latter. The answer: hard to tell. I've ran into a few people who have been suspended and they feel like it was because of their VPN, but there isn't many ways to find out for sure since Amazon isn't capable of providing acceptable answers. With that said, read this:
Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,
We regret to inform you that your Amazon Mechanical Turk account has been suspended effective immediately. Your account was closed for not providing true and accurate information about your location during the registration process, which violates section 1a of our Participation Agreement. You can review the complete Participation Agreement at
Once all of your submitted HITs have been approved or rejected, we will disburse your account balance to your primary disbursement method.
If you have questions, or believe this decision was made in error, you may email us using the Contact Us form on our Worker website
Regards,
Amazon Mechanical Turk
This doesn't directly relate to a VPN, but it is something to consider. If suspensions are something you're afraid of, perhaps read this: https://www.mturkcrowd.com/threads/mechanical-turk-suspensions-and-general-speculation.1778/ (plugging myself, yo)

If you're just asking about VPNs in general, they're nice to have.. if you're on the receiving end. I do not like slightly raising and lowering MTU sizes for an hour trying to figure out what size is the acceptable limit for my tunnel to pass traffic.

Achilles2357

Reaction score
Hi, I hope you're well. Thanks for leaving me in the forum. Now I'm not in the US UU., And I'm still using the Mturk account. $ 20 per week in the country where I am; It is a fortune that I am afraid of Vpn, in the United States. I also used them to avoid being spied on, and hackers. What do you say? Thank you!
If you try to use a VPN to appear to be in a country that differs from the country listed in your official mturk country qual, then I am fairly sure mturk is trying to actively detect this and will likely ban you if they think that you are doing this.
Personally, I'd be worried even if your proceeds are disbursed to a bank in a country that differs from the country given in your country qual or the country that your IP address suggests. I don't see how that violates mturk rules myself, but they might be using that as a marker for illicit accounts. I suspect they err on the side of banning people.

Eudardo Romero

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for answering, all my data is in the USA. UU., The bank, the home, the invitation data, etc. Everything is from there, just that I left for a while in the USA. UU., And to enter Mturk, I used a Premium vpn; where my ip changes to USA.

Eudardo Romero

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for answering, all my data is in the USA. UU., The bank, the home, the invitation data, etc. Everything is from there, just that I left for a while in the USA. UU., And to enter Mturk, I used a Premium vpn; where my ip changes to USA

Reactions: Metallica

Jayc

Reaction score
I use Torguard, I had to move to Peru to take care of my family during a pending immigration process and my wife is sick and can not yet move to the United States. Unfortunately I am a legitimate US citizen outside the country and this type of work is the only reasonable work because I do not have work permissions in a foreign country. I use Torguard as a VPN, My account was suspended by Mturk due to suspicious activity, and I sent them my United States passport and Amazon re-activated my account even though I was working as a US citizen outside the US. I have US bank account and will return to the US as soon as possible but this is the reality that I live in. I am facing fall out from the Turkprime bot scare and I get blocked by some requesters using the Geolocation block from so called suspicious geolocations. I am not doing anything wrong and its very frustrating that legitimate US workers are discriminated against by turkprime and requesters. I feel that the answer is legitimate attention checks and english comprehension questions to filter quality rather than using geo features to block people legitimate American accounts with Social security number, Tax ID, US bank account. Amazon is actively doing identity verification of US accounts, so I do not understand why Turkprime has decided to go out of their way to create a false sense of security for requestors with unproven geoblock features under the false flag of data quality. They started the scare with the false assumption of bots and then use a feature that has been proven to be block more legitimate US workers than the Farmers who Turk Prime and specific requestors make out VPN usage or (Farmers) uneducated zombies laying in wait to ravage their precious Data quality. VPN usage is not against the Mturk Tos and their are many reasons to use VPN services other than scamming the Mturk platform.. TurkPrime is doing the Mturk platform a diservice for propogating spreading false panic studies its irresponsible and they act out against many americans using VPNs for legitimate security concerns , they discriminate against domestic residential IPs and VPNs alike.

Last edited:
Reactions: jan