Vintage Photos Thread

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
You may be cool, but will you ever be floating on a raft in Italy, eating pasta with your girlfriends cool?

Melly

Pew Pew!
Contributor
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
WOW! How did I not know about this thread? I have tons of pictures.

This one was taken in 1930 of a dear woman who is a distant cousin of mine named Melba.

Melly

Pew Pew!
Contributor
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Melly

Pew Pew!
Contributor
Sole Survivor
Reaction score

I did a little write up about the man in this photo. I love old pictures but what I love most is the history of the people in the photographs :)

Last edited:

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Gonna have to visit that New Art Painless Dentist! Actually not much has changed. Still costs an arm and a leg. Wonder if they took those too?

Photographer unknown, 1930's.

Last edited:

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

clickhappier

┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Subforum Curator
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
... This man really liked the ladies ...
I've read various interesting 1800s-early 1900s books on archive.org in the past, which made it clear that a lot more...shenanigans of various sorts went on back then than those who try to idealize the past want to admit (or even know of, since typical history books sure don't talk about most of it). :wink:

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Lest ye think I have forgotten thee.

Last night I watched an episode of Ken Burns new docs on the National Parks. I have traveled to several in the West and stayed up late looking at old photos. The National Parks Service has a lovely collection to lose time in.
Here are two of the main guys you should thank if you love the National Parks. Muir Woods is a treasure. Teddy was a rascal but I thank them both!

Photographer: unknown. Theodore Roosevelt and John Muir on Glacier Point, Yosemite Valley, California, 1906. NPS.

Reactions: Tribune and Jaded

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
Today is the 30 year anniversary of the reactor meltdown at Chernobyl, so I thought some more absolutely creep as hell pictures were in order!

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Today is the 30 year anniversary of the reactor meltdown at Chernobyl, so I thought some more absolutely creep as hell pictures were in order!

Close enough to 1980 and yes creepy as hell! Anyone who took those is crazy.

Also hard to believe it has been already 30 years. I remember being in middle school when that happened and watching the news broadcasts there. :arghh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tribune

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Been looking at old Britain photos this past week. I have only been there once but fell madly in love with the fog. Found these wonderful night shots from the 1950's.

The Great London ‘Pea-Souper’ Fog of 1952

Photograph: A London bus makes its way along Fleet Street in heavy smog, 6th December 1952.
Photographer: Edward Miller/Keystone/Hulton Archive/Getty Images

Reactions: Tribune and Jaded

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
I have two to add.
This car was rather prominent back in the day, known as one of the fastest Firebird's of the early 70s. A close family friend drove it for a few years (sponsored by the local dealership), and eventually quit when the constant maintenance required more money than he had. After he passed, it was given to my father, and then given to his close friend. It was a victim of a nasty rear-end collision, and insurance totaled it out. It is currently sitting in a shed, having not seen the light of day in about 2 years. It still starts right up and really isn't in that bad of shape. It's just rather hard to find a bumper for these particular cars. Myrtle Motors Pontiac was a performance-oriented dealership. If memory serves correctly, this particular car came special ordered with a supercharged 455.

The next one is the car I recently came in possession of about a month ago. It has been in the family since new. There isn't much history behind this one, although it's reputable in the family for leaving long, black streaks on the road. Not too sure on the year this picture was taken.