The survey is very slow

Lada

Reaction score
Hi guys! Our survey is going very slow (around 20 people for 24 hours). We require master qualification, agreement rate >85% and U.S. citizens. We pay $1.88 for 15 minutes ($7.5/4) and plus bonus in the end of the survey. In our previous survey, with the same price and same requirements, we've got around 120 people for 1-2 days. We work with boto3.

During our test run, we've made a mistake in description and asked people to annotate 10 sentences when in fact there were 20 in the survey itself. The price was also for 10. When we approved their work, we wrote the message with apologies and promised to pay the rest $0.65 that we haven't paid together with the bonus.

Could anybody somehow block us? if yes, how can we check it? (either in the account or in the code). Any other ideas why the survey is going so slow?

jan

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by can we block you. Yes, I can select not to see your posted hits. You cannot check that. I would do it using an application that is common throughout mturk. But it's something that I'd do manually. You can look on turkerview to see what people have rated your hits. If you're 'red' it means people are pretty dissatisfied. But take a look there to see how you are reviewed.

That said, people try to have a reasonable hourly wage. Most would like to work for 10+ an hour. Your hourly wage is 7.52 an hour. So, your wage is low. In my town, for instance, (well, my state) hourly wages are 15/hour.

Masters qualification does weed out newer workers. And it's clear that for someone to have and maintain a masters, they are regular workers here on the platform. However, masters means little more than that. I have worked for several years, have several hundred thousand HITS, and an approval rating of well over 99%. Masters appears to be a lottery of sorts (some people got it after completing only a few hits - others like me wait in vain).

Reactions: turker4hire

turker4hire

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by can we block you. Yes, I can select not to see your posted hits. You cannot check that. I would do it using an application that is common throughout mturk. But it's something that I'd do manually. You can look on turkerview to see what people have rated your hits. If you're 'red' it means people are pretty dissatisfied. But take a look there to see how you are reviewed.

That said, people try to have a reasonable hourly wage. Most would like to work for 10+ an hour. Your hourly wage is 7.52 an hour. So, your wage is low. In my town, for instance, (well, my state) hourly wages are 15/hour.

Masters qualification does weed out newer workers. And it's clear that for someone to have and maintain a masters, they are regular workers here on the platform. However, masters means little more than that. I have worked for several years, have several hundred thousand HITS, and an approval rating of well over 99%. Masters appears to be a lottery of sorts (some people got it after completing only a few hits - others like me wait in vain).
jan @jan , I'm like you. I've worked on MTurk for years, completed almost 46K hits with an approval rating of 99.85%, but still no Masters. I read that when MTurk first started they gave out Masters after only 1000 approved hits! And then it became completely random, and now I don't think they give them out anymore. That's unfair to people like you and me. ?

jan

Reaction score
jan @jan , I'm like you. I've worked on MTurk for years, completed almost 46K hits with an approval rating of 99.85%, but still no Masters. I read that when MTurk first started they gave out Masters after only 1000 approved hits! And then it became completely random, and now I don't think they give them out anymore. That's unfair to people like you and me. ?
more than once they issued it to someone who had been banned from the platform, lol. - though that is NOT the norm.

• Haha
Reactions: turker4hire

turker4hire

Reaction score
more than once they issued it to someone who had been banned from the platform, lol. - though that is NOT the norm.
I bet many of those people that initially received their Masters even Mturk anymore. lol