The Best Desks and Office Chairs

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
We have a thread for computers and gear, but what about the desks you put that gear on and the chair you put yourself in? Talk about your favorite desks and favorite desk chairs!

I need a new desk chair, so I'm looking for recommendations on that. The current one is leather but it's not fared well with two cats with sharp nails. I need something the cats won't shred but also looks and feels nice. What do you use and like?

TQueen

Southern Sweetness
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I am really wanting a standing desk, but don't want to be stuck only standing. Found this:

https://www.standdesk.co/

Anyone have any insight on this or other sit/stand desks?
I had a stand desk for a while and I found I just slouched and leaned over on it a lot and found ways around good posture. It benefits me more to spend time on my treadmill everyday instead. But, I do know someone who had a desk that you could stand or sit, and they loved it. I think they would stand all morning and sit and relax in the afternoons.

Reactions: El Pablo

mordea

Master of a Couple Things
Contributor
Reaction score
I've always been partial to metal pedestal desks, but they're so freakin' heavy

Reactions: coffeeowl

YAHU

YAHUUUUUUU
Contributor
Reaction score
I am really wanting a standing desk, but don't want to be stuck only standing. Found this:

I have an uplift-- its pretty good and basically a variation of the one you posted. All of the standing desks are around the same price, so the "most affordable" tag is kind of misleading. You can usually negotiate a lower deal too(i used a coupon and asked for another discount and got it).

I'll usually sit/stand for 30-1hr at a time and every once in a while ill put my exercise bike under it as well.

If i was in the market for another one I'd also look at http://www.standitdesk.com/ cause of the 4 legs.

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

Have you tried a standing desk set up? It isn't for everyone so if you haven't I would put a small table or something on your existing desk first to see if it works for you. I stand at my kitchen bar for a few hours every day as my knees can't take much more than that. I work sitting for a bit then move to the counter. Repeat. I would love to get a small wall mounted desk similar to this that Ikea used to sell. I want to keep my traditional sitting desk but have an option for short bursts of standing throughout the day.

Edit: Obviously this wouldn't work for those with lots of monitors, but for quick stuff, breaks and browsing it would be perfect for me.

Last edited:

clickhappier

┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Subforum Curator
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Standing desks have some significant downsides, especially full-time. If you want one, I'd say first make some temporary risers for your monitor(s)/keyboard/mouse out of something and use that for at least several days before spending a bunch of money on a standing desk. And it's more viable if you get a nice stool (some have a bit of back support too) you can sit on while at a 'standing'-height desk, instead of trying to actually stand the whole time. (Of course the fancy motorized ones that easily go back and forth between standing and sitting height make it a lot easier to stand in small doses.)

I think it's better to move around, rather than to stand all the time for the sake of not sitting. I change between several variations of sitting positions (instead of just sitting stationary in the 'perfect' ergonomic position all the time), and even sometimes kinda stand at my sitting-height desk for a little while - here's one way to do that:

And the best thing to do regardless of how you've been sitting/standing at your desk is regularly take a few minutes every so often to at least go walk around, and maybe do some exercises.

Last edited:
Reactions: YAHU and KittyRaces