Taxes For Turkers - Reporting Self-Employment Income

D

Deleted member 481

I'm hoping someone else has used this software. There is a spot to enter 1099-MISC on Turbo Tax, but I don't see where I can enter income without having a 1099-MISC. Does anyone know where I should look?

Reactions: Tribune

clickhappier

┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Subforum Curator
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
LOL, yep...that's me. Just wanted to get all my bases covered. Didn't really think anyone here would respond.

So, that unitedway site, I can efile for free with a 1040/schedule c/schedule se? These other sites trick me into thinking it's free.
Otherwise, I was gonna give the IRS site a try: https://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File:-Do-Your-Federal-Taxes-for-Free
I use MTC, MTG, and Reddit. There's a lot of overlap in active users. So I'm not fond of when people post the same question in multiple places of those unnecessarily (or when someone posts on Reddit and then immediately comes to the Reddit chat and asks the same #$%& thing), because they will get an answer by just picking one of those places to ask and being patient, instead of making us spend more of our uncompensated time looking at the same stuff redundantly. :wink:

Yes, don't bother with the other stuff at that 'free file' page. The United Way H&R Block has been verified to work for free for several turkers: see 2015 tax software update.

Last edited:

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I've read through a bunch of the tax info here and on MTG but I still can't find the answer to my question, so here goes: I'm going to have my taxes done by H&R Block. I'm going to report my earnings through MTurk, of course, but I have no idea what to show them to prove what I'm earning. Do I just print out my weekly earnings statements?

Reactions: Tribune

clickhappier

┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Subforum Curator
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I've read through a bunch of the tax info here and on MTG but I still can't find the answer to my question, so here goes: I'm going to have my taxes done by H&R Block. I'm going to report my earnings through MTurk, of course, but I have no idea what to show them to prove what I'm earning. Do I just print out my weekly earnings statements?
Take your pick what version of the numbers you want to provide them, they all add up slightly differently, the important thing is to use the same method each year.
what if you use a professional tax preparer?
more info on what your options are for determining your total annual MTurk earnings
dealing with small differences in the ways of deciding which year the tons of tiny bits of turking income belong in

D

Deleted member 481

Thanks for the help clickhappier. I completed my taxes last night, for free, using that HR Block link you gave me. The only mistake that I think I made is that the program created 3 separate schedule Cs for me, for each GPT site I use. It didn't affect what I owed or anything, so I submitted. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to do a schedule C for each company anyways.

clickhappier

┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Subforum Curator
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Thanks for the help clickhappier. I completed my taxes last night, for free, using that HR Block link you gave me. The only mistake that I think I made is that the program created 3 separate schedule Cs for me, for each GPT site I use. It didn't affect what I owed or anything, so I submitted. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to do a schedule C for each company anyways.
Yeah, they can all be combined on one Schedule C (I do mine that way) but they don't have to be, it should add up the same in the end. :)

Yatagarasu

all up in the videos, all on the records, dancin'
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
EDIT: found my answer.

Last edited:

makes no cents

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a little confused about something and was hoping you could kind of point me in the right direction. Apologies in advance if this was already answered but how do I go about filing earnings from other sites like Perk and Earnhoney? I won't be getting a 1099 from either of those sites so I don't know if they go on the same Schedule C as Mturk or if they are filed under "other income"?

ram012593

Reaction score
Thanks for this!!! Most Helpful tax related thread I've found yet. You are right consulting tax professionals as a self employed person tends to be more expensive than most people considering turking as a significant portion of their income can afford.

FRSMichael

Just HIT it, HIT it.
Reaction score
I want to make sure that I have this correct. I've filed this under Schedule C with the following details selected, is that correct?
  • My name as the business
  • No EIN
  • Business code as 999999" for Miscellaneous income
  • Accounting method is "cash"
  • No 1099-MISC received
  • Amount earned filed under "Income or Sales" and not "Returns and Allowances" or "Other Income"

catnapped

Relatively Unknown Member
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I want to make sure that I have this correct. I've filed this under Schedule C with the following details selected, is that correct?
  • No EIN
  • No 1099-MISC received
  • Amount earned filed under "Income or Sales" and not "Returns and Allowances" or "Other Income"
That's how I've always done them.

klyde

No, I don't want to see your pog collection
Contributor
Reaction score
Do i get something in the mail like a w2 (but not a w2 i know) So that it will help when i do my taxes or will i be doing plenty of reading on that thread? Also someon mention HR Block will help you set up something where you can do payments because you were like me and didnt save and were gonna have to pay in. Is that in here somewhere. And can we set it up at the beginning of the year so we dont have to go through this next year

• No EIN
  • No 1099-MISC received
This is what we do then ?

Last edited:

lina

Reaction score
when can we expect to receive our 1099 from Amazon? (and yes - made over $20k last year)

gjk3345

Reaction score
Ok, new here. I have read through this thread and done my own research. Still a bit confused.

I have been retired for years now and have not filed any taxes because of that. I started MTurk in 2016 and made just over $800.00

Am I correct in the following:

I file the full 1040 and the Schedule C and include a copy of my 2016 earnings page from MTurk and that's it? I don't file for any deductions for "home business", correct? Do I just have to file state taxes and not federal?

This is all so overwhelming to an old lady. Thanks in advance.

T. Leela

Oh Lord...
Contributor
Reaction score
I noticed turbotax has a significant discount on their products this year, I'm guessing after the changes they made to what and how you could file with what products? Haven't really done any comparisons, I'm just too lazy to re-enter all of my family's info with a new company, and was glad to see this.

T. Leela

Oh Lord...
Contributor
Reaction score
Edit: They also offer free quickbooks with the self-employed version. I'm not sure what the details are, also since I'm actually a tad too early to file, I'm not sure if these prices are just temporary or if 'lock in your price now' is only to get me to pay now vs. have it taken from my refund.

Last edited: