Welcome to MTurk Crowd

Work on Amazon Mechanical Turk, learn from the best, and have fun doing it. Join the crowd today!

Show me your Turkstations!

Discussion in 'Social Discussion' started by Nikoratos, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Nikoratos

Nikoratos
    Expand Collapse

I didn't see a thread for these and I'm suspicious about that. Please set me straight and point me in the right direction if I overlooked it.. Here's my new Turkstation built from the remains of the old one and whatever else I could get my hands on.
    AMD Phenom II x4 with 8 GB of DDR3 running Windows 7 Ultimate with one 22' Samsung Monitor and one 50' Samsung TV.
    One HP 32bit Dual Core Intel Centrino running a cut to the bone version of Win 7 Pro and
    Input Director linking the two.
    [​IMG]

I showed you mine now show me yours. What's your Turkstation look like?

#1 Nikoratos, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    theturkscribe likes this.
  2. DareAngel3

DareAngel3
    Expand Collapse

• Contributor
    Nikoratos likes this.
  3. Nikoratos

Nikoratos
    Expand Collapse

Yeah. It could use a little updating. I searched for setups and workstations but not computers or gear. This can serve as the 2019 Edition .

#3 Nikoratos, Jan 5, 2019
  4. Nikoratos

Nikoratos
    Expand Collapse

I spent a grand total of zero dollars on all of that stuff with one exception. My computer is made up of the best functional components from two desktops I put together in 2009. The video card and power supply weren't functioning properly on the one I'd built for myself so I moved everything over to a case with a working power supply and a functional video card from one I'd built for someone else that had fallen into disuse. Everything else was either being thrown out because it didn't work (big TV) or was being replaced with newer equipment.The 22 inch monitor is refurbished and was left over after I'd help move a business into new offices.. I was there to move things and put stuff together. The Samsung was a brand orphan and didn't fit on the same shelf as the other surplus monitors. I told the guy that I'd be happy to put in my car while he figured it out and he laughed and told me to go ahead. The laptop was left by a former tenant where I live and didn't have a power supply. I also used a just as old 32 bit laptop I'd picked up on next door that was being given away. The big TV needed a new female power input and a cord to go with it so I put one in. Even the wallmount for the TV is made out of scrap from the garage. There was an unforeseen issue with the design of the tiltmount feature that made itself known to me at a very inopportune time. Kind of obvious in retrospect but I'd never made a TV mount before. Now that it's all functional and secure I'm kind of proud of myself. Two weeks ago I was using laptops whose combined age would make them college graduates thinking about which masters program to apply to. WIth lightweight Linux builds to try to wring some usability out of them. It was nice to start the year with a completed project.

#4 Nikoratos, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  5. theturkscribe

theturkscribe
    Expand Collapse
    definitely has onion on her belt

• Contributor
    Niko I can't see the picture and it's killing me I wanna see I wanna see! It sounds amazing.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  6. Nikoratos

Nikoratos
    Expand Collapse

7. theturkscribe

theturkscribe
    Expand Collapse
    definitely has onion on her belt

• Contributor
  8. Nikoratos

Nikoratos
    Expand Collapse

Whoops. I've only shared pet picture in here before now and those albums were already set to public. My bad. I'm going to fix that right now.
    [​IMG]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/itpw1puygzhw9v3/IMG_0649.JPG?dl=0

I'm hopeful that one of those is going to work. I edited the first post and shared from Dropbox instead.

#8 Nikoratos, Jan 5, 2019
    TSolo315 likes this.
  9. LumosDC

LumosDC
    Expand Collapse

10. Nikoratos

Nikoratos
    Expand Collapse

Not going to lie. That looks like a very well considered and tuned in Turkstation.

LumosDC likes this.
  11. LumosDC

LumosDC
    Expand Collapse

Thanks.

It took more time than I'd like to admit to get it set up to how I wanted it.

I do HIT's and other surveys/other activities from other sites (Swagbucks, etc) on the big monitor in the center, run Mturk scripts on the two left monitors, and watch various video sites on the right one. The TV is there to keep me from going completely out of my mind while doing batch HIT's and tedious surveys.

Nikoratos likes this.
  12. Nikoratos

Nikoratos
    Expand Collapse

You don't have to admit it. It looks like you tightened up your sightlines right up until they became impediments and then backed off a quarter turn. I bet anybody else sitting there would have to look slightly around things a lot.

13. LumosDC

LumosDC
    Expand Collapse

Yep.

Had to angle the side monitors, so I can more easily keep track of what's happening on them. Getting it angled just right was a challenge, especially with the upper left-hand monitor and trying to keep it from blocking as much of the TV screen as possible. I'm hearing impaired, so being able to see closed captioning was critical to where I set up the TV/computer.

--

Specs of the computer are:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB FTW3 GAMING iCX Video Card

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Monitor: Dell - P2217H 21.5" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor

Monitor: Dell - P2217H 21.5" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor

Monitor: HP Pavilion 32 32.0" 2560x1440 60 Hz Monitor

Monitor: P2018H 1600 20.0" 1600 x 900 60Hz Monitor

Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platnium

Mouse: J-Tech Digital [V628] Wired Ergonomic Vertical USB Mouse

Nikoratos likes this.
  14. keladry2009

keladry2009
    Expand Collapse

has anyone gone from windows 7 to windows 10 while turking? i love my windows 7 but the thought of the possible helpful applications on 10 has me thinking about switching to the dark side lol.

Nikoratos likes this.
  15. LumosDC

LumosDC
    Expand Collapse

Windows 10 by itself would not help much in terms of turking. What would help more is likely a computer with better, newer hardware within it.

Windows 7 came out 10 years ago. So unless you bought a computer with a newer version of Windows (8, 8.1, or 10) and then downgraded it to Windows 7, it's probably time for an upgrade even if you don't turk.

Nikoratos likes this.
  16. Nikoratos

Nikoratos
    Expand Collapse

Windows 10 has a lot of built in features that are helpful. You can do the same things with Win 7 but you have to get other programs to get the same functionality. I'm getting ready to install Win 10 on another hard drive and start transitioning over.
    Don't do it it you don't have the hardware to support it though.

#16 Nikoratos, Jan 14, 2019 at 8:21 AM
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 8:22 AM
  17. keladry2009

keladry2009
    Expand Collapse

yeah my system is a decade old, shes my ol' bessie but ive been wanting a new system. it was on my list of "things to buy when i make it rich on mturk" :ROFL:

let me know how you like windows 10 when you get settled into it! :)

Nikoratos likes this.
  18. Belkor

Belkor
    Expand Collapse

Over time, more and more software will likely drop support for the older Windows variants so this is a good move. The security updates you get from Windows 10 is also fairly important.