sad pandas support group

ducky

fight for what's right
Contributor
Reaction score
I needed somewhere to vent.

Holy hell, has today been wild. Speaking to an amazon employee and attempting to get him involved with us, discussed things about the server, and dealing with turk itself all while doing real life stuff.

I think my brain went overboard or something in dealing with Mr. Amazon. I'm still pumped about it. I have noticed I've been a bit more jumpy today because of of it, and have over reacted to some things. I'm still a bit bothered that the poor guy is probably going to log in and see a million PMs from people, which is my fault but I was hoping people would be understanding and mature and such. It really got to me what some people said but it shouldn't have. I just want to help the community.

Anyway, I hope everyone here has been doing well. I don't spend as much time here as I would like but I do care about you and am willing to offer some classic Metallica advice where necessary. I might be constantly busy, but never enough to not have time to help someone.
I looked over the discussion yesterday and sadly I'm not surprised. Even though some turkers have to mess it up for the rest of us, there are those of us who appreciate the effort you've put into this and actually take this shit seriously

Metallica

Never free, never me
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score
I looked over the discussion yesterday and sadly I'm not surprised. Even though some turkers have to mess it up for the rest of us, there are those of us who appreciate the effort you've put into this and actually take this shit seriously
I can understand why some of the things said were said, I get that people feel like Amazon doesn't care much for us and to be frank, we haven't really been shown otherwise for most of MTurk's existence. Now that we have someone that's willing to get involved with us to whatever extent and they are here seeing some conversations, I was just hoping we as a group could get past the unnecessary tagging of said person and asking for masters and whatever.

It just really bothered me that I had to email the gentleman last night and apologize for the behavior. Things like that could very well be a reason why we don't see more involvement from them. Regardless, it was really cool to have someone, especially the Head of Business for MTurk, contact me out of the blue and offer to help because he saw I had a thread running on suspensions. I think I'm about over the excitement now :p

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
:) you're getting there. baby steps.

did you ever talk to them about being in the ER?
I told two of the "little" managers and I haven't been even hinted at being there again, so it may have worked. Also they haven't been throwing me around willy-nilly anymore so maybe my talk made them wanna treat me better?

idk but I think also the nurses in my new area might have been on their ass to stop pulling me because they apparently really, really like my work. They told me in the short time I've been there they've gotten used to me and can really tell when I'm not there.

So that's cool :D

savvy

goin' down to the yee-haw
Reaction score
I told two of the "little" managers and I haven't been even hinted at being there again, so it may have worked. Also they haven't been throwing me around willy-nilly anymore so maybe my talk made them wanna treat me better?

idk but I think also the nurses in my new area might have been on their ass to stop pulling me because they apparently really, really like my work. They told me in the short time I've been there they've gotten used to me and can really tell when I'm not there.

So that's cool :D
yay! crossing my finger it continues in that direction for ya

DareAngel3

Contributor
Reaction score
The weekly report "deprecation" has triggered a real panic/depression for me. I'm a stay at home mom with two kids- and Mturk is my only income. I live in an area with a really low cost of living, luckily, and I do pretty well on the platform. But a "suspension", even if a only a few days, would be a real hardship. A few weeks would be devastating. It's so scary how little control we have and how inaccessible any kind of support on Mturk's end is. I know most people do this for "extra" money, as I used to, but right now this money literally provides my family's electricity, gas, and food. I just feel this overwhelming sense of doom and dread, thinking that eventually a "need to confirm your identity" suspension is inevitable, and that I'll wake up one morning and Mturk will have pulled the plug on my livelihood. It's put me in a real funk. :(

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
The weekly report "deprecation" has triggered a real panic/depression for me. I'm a stay at home mom with two kids- and Mturk is my only income. I live in an area with a really low cost of living, luckily, and I do pretty well on the platform. But a "suspension", even if a only a few days, would be a real hardship. A few weeks would be devastating. It's so scary how little control we have and how inaccessible any kind of support on Mturk's end is. I know most people do this for "extra" money, as I used to, but right now this money literally provides my family's electricity, gas, and food. I just feel this overwhelming sense of doom and dread, thinking that eventually a "need to confirm your identity" suspension is inevitable, and that I'll wake up one morning and Mturk will have pulled the plug on my livelihood. It's put me in a real funk. :(
I know how you feel. MTurk has been my main income for several years now, and my sole income for the past year. It's scary, how unpredictable it can be. I don't have any advice for you, just commiseration.

Peachy

Real Southern Comfort
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score
i’m just mad that mturk is blaming “workers who said they didn’t like the report” for why they’re getting rid of them. Who would actually complain about it? why can’t mturk actually say “WE have decided to do away with them for -such and such- reason”.

and hypothetically if certain people did complain about the weekly reports... jesus get a life people. it’s one single email every week. people will complain about anything. that or they didn’t like seeing everyone’s reports every week.

DareAngel3

Contributor
Reaction score
edited
Do you travel? I have kids tying me down, but I love love love to travel and now with AirBNB and CouchSurfing and etc, it can be really cheap if you don't have high standards. Just some new scenery, new people. I always found it inspiring and uplifting.

Last edited:

DareAngel3

Contributor
Reaction score
i’m just mad that mturk is blaming “workers who said they didn’t like the report” for why they’re getting rid of them. Who would actually complain about it? why can’t mturk actually say “WE have decided to do away with them for -such and such- reason”.

and hypothetically if certain people did complain about the weekly reports... jesus get a life people. it’s one single email every week. people will complain about anything. that or they didn’t like seeing everyone’s reports every week.
The language bothered me, too. It just makes me really :tinfoil: on top of Metallica's contact and then almost immediate suspension. It seems like if they really wanted to reach out and connect to workers, there would be better, more wide-spread and official avenues to do so?

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score

wait wait, what? mturk is getting rid of weekly reports? I didn't even realize that. that's bullshit! If you don't like it, mark them as spam or something ffs. those are the only fucking way I prove my income to the foodstamp office ffs. wtf am I going to do now?

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
wait wait, what? mturk is getting rid of weekly reports? I didn't even realize that. that's bullshit! If you don't like it, mark them as spam or something ffs. those are the only fucking way I prove my income to the foodstamp office ffs. wtf am I going to do now?
When I was doing foodstamps I took the print outs of my amazon payments thing and highlighted the w/drawls to bank account. That worked for my worker.

edit: (it's still dumb af, but possible work around)

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
When I was doing foodstamps I took the print outs of my amazon payments thing and highlighted the w/drawls to bank account. That worked for my worker.

edit: (it's still dumb af, but possible work around)
yeah I thought of that while bitching to boyfriend about it. Stupid question, but is the weekly report the total submitted or the total actually approved and paid? I track it in my planner and I want to keep doing that even once they stop. Did they say when they're stopping?

JenniLeigh

Batch Bettah Have My Money
Contributor
Reaction score
Me too. I don't have any of my other "jobs" b/c I moved... no more babysitting, helping people with books, farms, etc... this is all I have right now, and it's NOT enough for the cost of living in this area. (Plus, as much as my mom and littlest would love it, we can't be here forever...we NEED to move. Soon.) Finding new sources of income is hard enough w/o worrying about losing this one. But at least we're not alone in our worry. :hug2: