Qualtrics-based task with multiple parts

Emma

Reaction score
I am conducting a study with six different conditions. My plan so far is to make one HIT for each condition, after qualifying workers through a screener. The problem is that each condition has a screener, survey, then an IAT (task, not survey), then another survey, OR a screener, IAT, Survey, Survey .... etc, all on Qualtrics.

I know that I can have workers do the screeners and then give them the link to a survey if they qualify, but If I need each task to go through several different surveys, can I link them directly within qualtrics, or do I send them back to Mturk after each section?

InfiniteChanges

Hiding In Your Ceiling
Contributor
Reaction score
So, let me try to understand this from a worker perspective. You're going to have multiple HITs, lets call them Condition A, Condition B, and Condition C. In each of these HITS there will be a screener section, an IAT section, and two different surveys, and you are trying to figure out if you can do all of that through one Qualtrics link, correct?

If so, then yes. I've done multiple HITs that have different parts all through the Qaultrics platform. Now, that being said, I don't understand the back end of Qualtrics, so you may not be able to change the ordering inside of each HIT. Condition A may always have to be screener, survery, IAT, survey, but you could have Condition C be screener IAT, survey, survey, and Condition B go screener, survey, survey, IAT.

The one thing I will say, again from the worker side, if you can avoid Inquisit, do. There are a large amount of workers that will completely skip a hit if it uses Inquisit. It messes up our browers, and will make it nearly impossible to continue on with your HIT if there's anything after the IAT part.

Hopefully that helps... also, please pay well. Minimum wage is not well. :D

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm having trouble following exactly what you're saying, but would it work for you to set up your HIT to have multiple steps separately and ask the worker to do each one in a list, rather than trying to route them places? So each condition has one HIT. A worker accepts the HIT. They're then given HIT instructions that might look like this:

Hello! Welcome to my HIT! Please do this:
1. Go to this Qualtrics link and do the survey. [link here]
2. Next, go to this link and do the IAT. [link here]
3. Next, go to this Qualtrics link to do that survey. [link here]
Once you've done all of these steps, you're finished and can submit this HIT. Thanks!

Then, when you're setting up your Qualtrics surveys and IAT task, ask the worker at the very beginning of each survey/task for their worker ID. When the worker submits the HIT on MTurk, their worker ID is automatically attached to the submission so you'll receive that. Match up their worker ID across the each of the tasks/surveys/HIT and approve payment for everyone who finished all the steps.

As a side note, you're talking about screeners, too. You'll need to first qualify all the workers who you want to do your tasks with a separate screener HIT before you ask them to do any kind of multi-step HIT because workers need still to be paid if they complete a screener test but get screened out.

Emma

Reaction score
Ok let me try to reword this:
I need to create a screener first (Hopefully in Mturk). I need those that get past the screener to be directed evenly to one of 6 conditions.
I was under the impression that I could create one big Job with 6 tasks within it for this purpose. Instead, should I simply create 6 different HITs?

Emma

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm not using inquisit. I am paying, but I don't know what paying well means to you.

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok let me try to reword this:
I need to create a screener first (Hopefully in Mturk). I need those that get past the screener to be directed evenly to one of 6 conditions.
I was under the impression that I could create one big Job with 6 tasks within it for this purpose. Instead, should I simply create 6 different HITs?
The easiest way to do this first create a screening HIT. Then once that's done and you have your group of approved workers who passed your screening, divide them into 6 groups and give them one of your six qualifications. Then post six HITs with each having a different one of your qualifications on it. Your qualified workers can then do the HIT with the matching qualification that they've been assigned.

If you instead want there to be one screener that then directs workers to different conditions right after, you'll have to set all of that up with Qualtrics.

Last edited:

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm not using inquisit. I am paying, but I don't know what paying well means to you.
The post I linked to above with Guidelines for Academic Requesters has several sections regarding fair pay and considerations when deciding what to pay.