Political Stuff

cassius

Reaction score
Why can't it be both, and that's okay, too? Mattis was career military, and he took a principled stand for our country and our allies yesterday, but whatever history makes of his legacy, it will still be tarnished just by his being a member of this administration and looking the other way on other things. The GOP will be rightly tarnished with it, as Republicans have gleefully guided Trump and this country to the precipice of authoritarianism with one hand over their eyes and the other hand in Uncle Sam's pocket.

And yet, this is a genuinely scary development. For example, here's a nuclear weapons expert on it. But if cowardly Republicans like Marco Rubio and Ben Sasse wake up to their power finally because it is a Big Fucking Deal that the Secretary of Defense quit in protest, that's fine. I am not holding my breath, because they and 95% of Republicans currently in office are SPINELESS FUCKING COWARDS, but fine. Start now. We won't forget. Ohhhh no we will not forget their craven behavior the last two years. But we are confronting corruption and avarice and negligence and bad faith in our government the likes of which no American has seen in his or her lifetime at this point. We are finishing out a week(!) in which a federal judge (who has read unredacted Mueller filings) called out a former national security adviser as possibly treasonous. We've witnessed changes in foreign policy made by tweet(!) that might as well have been accompanied with a Putin laughing gif. The office of the AG is being subjugated by a guy making up his own ethics rules and another guy who took it upon himself to attack the Mueller investigation months ago. (new!) The Treasury Department is compromised.

Oh, and the government is shutting down because Trump is a toddler, who lied to his supporters, who lies to everyone, who faces impeachment or worse unless he stays in this job he clearly didn't want and can't do serving a country he could give fuck all about. Who will try to stay in that job long enough and/or install loyal toadies in OUR government long enough to keep him and his family out of prison.

In light of that, can't Mattis' resignation be both too late and too soon?

We are so fucked. /me eats pie for breakfast
Oh, I don't know. who's bossing the boss?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/20/world/europe/putin-trump-syria.html

DCI

Reaction score
Imo Mattis' actions are completely consistent with someone doing what is in the best interest of the country. Of course there were a lot of points where it would have been justifiable for him to have resigned, but as long as he was making a positive difference, staying was justifiable also. When it got to the point where he wasn't being listened to at all and the consequences of that were so bad that resigning would make more of a positive difference than staying, that's what he did.

He's the Secretary of Defense, which is a lot different than a government bureaucrat or some purely political position in the White House. The consequences for quitting in protest are potentially much greater, which is why this has never happened before.

Reactions: jklmnop

Horse Feathers

There's no future in time travel.
Contributor
Reaction score
Worst Xmas drop in history. Trump uses a golf analogy to blame the fed. This is a nightmare for me. I'm retired mainly relying on my IRA's. Guess I'm gonna have to start turking harder. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: jklmnop and jan

jan

Reaction score
Worst Xmas drop in history. Trump uses a golf analogy to blame the fed. This is a nightmare for me. I'm retired mainly relying on my IRA's. Guess I'm gonna have to start turking harder. :(

it will come back, eventually
(I've 'lost' quite a bit, too :( )

Metallica

Never free, never me
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey folks, I've recently gotten into watching former Presidents on talk shows, just rambling on about how the country is today or about small things. So I was curious if there are any interviews out there you regard as worth watching? I'm mainly looking for Obama interviews, but I'll settle for anything that isn't Trump.

Reactions: jan

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
Hey folks, I've recently gotten into watching former Presidents on talk shows, just rambling on about how the country is today or about small things. So I was curious if there are any interviews out there you regard as worth watching? I'm mainly looking for Obama interviews, but I'll settle for anything that isn't Trump.
this came to mind https://crooked.com/podcast/obamas-last-interview/

I bet there is a treasure trove of 70s talk show snippets on youtube (and dailymotion perhaps) but haven't explored that much.

and edit: I realize that you were probably looking for a lighter piece than that, but I still remember it as being a good interview, so imma leave it. Have you found any compilation playlists of the last few presidents? I have to think there are some floating around out there keeping a catalog of talk show/daytime show clips that are online.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metallica

cassius

Reaction score

Belkor

Reaction score

jml

Midnight Marauder
Reaction score
People yelling about the Dem 2020 primary season is already frustrating and awful. This is not going to be fun

Reactions: jklmnop

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
People yelling about the Dem 2020 primary season is already frustrating and awful. This is not going to be fun
it's so awful

Reactions: jml