Pact

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
This one is kind of different. It's an app called Pact. I just downloaded the app tonight so I haven't really tried it out yet but it seems interesting and a good potential source of income (if it works out!).

The premise is that you set a goal (exercise so many times a week, eat healthy foods, etc.) and then set a dollar value to that. If you meet the goal each week, you get the money. If you don't reach your goal, the money is deducted from you. You have to connect either a card to it or your PayPal account. You can set goals anywhere from $5 to $50.

Has anyone tried this out yet?

Here's an article about it.

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
Mmm. It looks like an interesting app and potentially a helpful thing for your personal goals, but the financial impact looks very small- rewards for successfully completing your goals top out at 5 dollars weekly, and you get penalized on a daily basis if you miss check ins or fail.

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
Mmm. It looks like an interesting app and potentially a helpful thing for your personal goals, but the financial impact looks very small- rewards for successfully completing your goals top out at 5 dollars weekly, and you get penalized on a daily basis if you miss check ins or fail.
I set it up and it let me set a pact (a goal) with a dollar value between $5 and $50 per missed work out. You set how many days a week you want to work out (I chose 5 days) and what your penalty will be for days missed (I picked $5). So I have it set up to work out 5 days a week at $5 for each missed day. They calculate it at the end of Sundays, so I have all week to get in the 5 days so it's okay if I miss a day mid-week, as long as I have 5 done by the end of Sunday. If by the end of Sunday, I succeeded, I get money. If I missed a day, I'll have to pay $5 for each missed day. The dollar value you earn if you don't miss days isn't really clear. The app FAQ says somewhere between $0.30 and $5 per day you met your goal, but I think it varies depending on how many other community members didn't meet their goal, since that's the pool of money that gets divided up amongst those who did meet their goal.

I'll report back next Sunday with more info on how the week went. Even if the payoff isn't that great, it's pretty passive income since I'm going to the gym anyway. :)

Reactions: LightningLord

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, my update: I committed to doing 5 workouts in a week and I did all of them. I got an email saying that I earned $1.05. You have to have a balance of $10 before you can cash out (to PayPal). I guess I'll get my money in about 10 weeks, then! It says the amount you earn fluctuates each week based on how other members do, so maybe it'll be more or less than 10 weeks.

So, nothing spectacular and I'm not going to get rich from this, but since I'm going to the gym anyway it's basically free money. :)

cmp3400

Contributor
Reaction score
I just saw this, but I have used Pact for years! Never had a problem with them paying out and they have always credited me when for some reason my activity/food didn't go through.

FRSMichael

Just HIT it, HIT it.
Reaction score
Just saw this thread. I posted some info from my experience using it in this thread: http://www.mturkcrowd.com/threads/roscoes-turkfit-group.1201/page-12#post-317045

Quoted below...

If anyone wants to make money while working out, search for the app called "Pact". You will have to link up your PayPal or debit/credit card. Here is how it works. You can set the number of days that you plan to workout per week or the number of healthy meals that you will eat (picture taken of the healthy meal). If you set that you will workout 5 days per week and you workout only 4 days per week, they will charge you $5 per day that you don't work out. It's a way for them to pay people that meet their goals and also a way to motivate people to workout so that they are not charged per day that they miss their goals. However, if you workout all 5 days, you will get paid which varies week to week. I believe that it varies based on how many people do not meet their weekly goals. On average, I have earned between $0.15-0.25 per workout.

I have never missed my goal for the week as I have it set to 6 days a week even though I workout all 7 days. That allows me a 1-day cushion in case an emergency happens and I cannot get to the gym. You can also 'walk' for 30 minutes to receive credit. It works based off GPS/speed but you have to walk. I tried having it on while riding my bike and I did not receive credit so it seems as if it has to detect your arm movement back/forth or up/down as your arms swings.

WARNING: If the app crashes in the middle of your workout, you can log into your account via their website and submit a ticket and they will apply credit when you let them know but tell them that day. What I have noticed that if I have the app tracking my workout and I do other stuff on my phone such as browsing Instagram, Facebook, etc, the chances of it crashing is a lot higher. Therefore, I turn on iHeart and then I start the app and don't touch it until the 30-minute timer tells me that I can 'Tap to Finish' to receive credit.