On MTurk since December 2017

Texas Mom

Reaction score
I live in Texas, USA & have grown children, a spouse and four dogs.

I've been on MTurk since December & I'm finally getting somewhat comfortable with how things work. Wokring on stats now - my returns are WAY to high.

One question I have -
Sometimes I do pre-screening surveys for projects. The instructions say that if I'm accepted, I will continue and be given a passcode to enter on the entry page. Sometimes, I'm not accepted & get a "ty - bye" message and no code.

Do I abandon the HIT at that time, or let it expire?

Reactions: coffeeowl

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score

I've been on MTurk since December & I'm finally getting somewhat comfortable with how things work. Wokring on stats now - my returns are WAY to high.

One question I have -
Sometimes I do pre-screening surveys for projects. The instructions say that if I'm accepted, I will continue and be given a passcode to enter on the entry page. Sometimes, I'm not accepted & get a "ty - bye" message and no code.

You can just return it. I wouldn't worry about having too many returns, or even abandons. Amazon kinda tried to phase those stats out a few years ago and removed the ability to use them for quals from the requester interface. You might see an older requester still using them for quals here and there, but it's incredibly rare (I'm actually only aware of one, off the top of my head, and that's ProductRNR.) Honestly, returns just aren't a big deal.

Texas Mom

Reaction score
You can just return it. I wouldn't worry about having too many returns, or even abandons. Amazon kinda tried to phase those stats out a few years ago and removed the ability to use them for quals from the requester interface. You might see an older requester still using them for quals here and there, but it's incredibly rare (I'm actually only aware of one, off the top of my head, and that's ProductRNR.) Honestly, returns just aren't a big deal.
Thanks! I'm taking things slow, so I can learn the rules & keep my approved HIT % high so I'll be ready to move up when my approved HITs allow me to.

I'm so glad I found this forum! Thanks for having it. :)

Reactions: aveline

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm taking things slow, so I can learn the rules & keep my approved HIT % high so I'll be ready to move up when my approved HITs allow me to.

I'm so glad I found this forum! Thanks for having it. :)
Of course! You're welcome.

And if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask here or in our daily work threads. :)

Serial Mom

I’m smiling…that alone should scare you.
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there, from one mom to another! Welcome!!!! Texas Mom @Texas Mom :party:

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

One question I have -

Hello and Welcome to MTC! :wave2:

Texas Mom

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome & replies! :)

I have another question...

My monitor doesn't have a web cam. I don't have a mic, either.

It appears that I'm going to need one or the other going forward. Should I go ahead and get the camera (which obviously has a mic), or will the microphone only do?

Thanks!

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome & replies! :)

I have another question...

My monitor doesn't have a web cam. I don't have a mic, either.

It appears that I'm going to need one or the other going forward. Should I go ahead and get the camera (which obviously has a mic), or will the microphone only do?

Thanks!
You certainly don't need either one, if you don't want. I don't do any HITs that require a webcam and have only done a few that require a mic. It's not very common to see HITs that require either one of those.

Reactions: aveline