Newbie here!

DeeDee85

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I lurked this thread for a few days and learned quite a bit.
I started turking last Sunday so I am on day 5, technically day 6 of my restricted account because I was approved late Saturday night and logged on just to see what it was all about. My total accepted hits so far are 305 with 46 pending and an approval rate of 98.34% .My earnings so far are $91.38 and I know there is around $20 in pending. I have 5 rejections and when I searched I see that several people were rejected for the same reasons.

Now here is my predicament and my question. This past summer, my husband was let go of his job and was denied unemployment. My full time job pays decent but not enough to keep up with everything and we slowly fell behind. He just started working again and it is for quite a bit less than his former salary but better then nothing.
I did my budget last week and panicked. Between now and December 31, I need to come up with an extra $3000. Granted, I counted the bare minimum of my pay because I do earn bonuses but I am still in a panic. Is it possible to make even close to that turking? Assuming that I earn around $200 in my restricted period that would still be around $72 per day after that. How many hits per day would that be on average? I work full time but there is a lot of downtime. I was playing solitaire for hours a day so I can easily turk instead.
I realize that it will be a lot of work but this is just a short term fix to catch up and nothing permanent. Once I hit that number I can breathe and just turk for extra money.

I really appreciate all of the help.

jan

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I lurked this thread for a few days and learned quite a bit.
I started turking last Sunday so I am on day 5, technically day 6 of my restricted account because I was approved late Saturday night and logged on just to see what it was all about. My total accepted hits so far are 305 with 46 pending and an approval rate of 98.34% .My earnings so far are $91.38 and I know there is around $20 in pending. I have 5 rejections and when I searched I see that several people were rejected for the same reasons.

Now here is my predicament and my question. This past summer, my husband was let go of his job and was denied unemployment. My full time job pays decent but not enough to keep up with everything and we slowly fell behind. He just started working again and it is for quite a bit less than his former salary but better then nothing.
I did my budget last week and panicked. Between now and December 31, I need to come up with an extra $3000. Granted, I counted the bare minimum of my pay because I do earn bonuses but I am still in a panic. Is it possible to make even close to that turking? Assuming that I earn around $200 in my restricted period that would still be around $72 per day after that. How many hits per day would that be on average? I work full time but there is a lot of downtime. I was playing solitaire for hours a day so I can easily turk instead.
I realize that it will be a lot of work but this is just a short term fix to catch up and nothing permanent. Once I hit that number I can breathe and just turk for extra money.

I really appreciate all of the help.
No one can ever answer that question. If you need a stable amount and can get a job in addition to your fulltime job, do that.

Turking requires a very interesting skill set. Those that make money may not work all the time, but they are ready to work much of the time. You have to jump on batches when they appear - and there is no guarantee. Everyone comes to turking thinking - well, if I put in long days doing boring stuff I'll make something. Right?

The truth is, if you aren't that good at jumping on batches, getting lucky with qualifications - you can make $20-30/day. Can you make more? Sure. But there's a learning curve and you have to be a self-starter to learn that world. Start out by reading up on mturk suite :). Oh, and download it.

Welcome~!

Reactions: DeeDee85

DeeDee85

Reaction score
No one can ever answer that question. If you need a stable amount and can get a job in addition to your fulltime job, do that.

Turking requires a very interesting skill set. Those that make money may not work all the time, but they are ready to work much of the time. You have to jump on batches when they appear - and there is no guarantee. Everyone comes to turking thinking - well, if I put in long days doing boring stuff I'll make something. Right?

The truth is, if you aren't that good at jumping on batches, getting lucky with qualifications - you can make $20-30/day. Can you make more? Sure. But there's a learning curve and you have to be a self-starter to learn that world. Start out by reading up on mturk suite :). Oh, and download it.

Welcome~!
Thank You,
I am fine with the long hours and menial tasks. I spend around 55 hours per week at my job and 75% of that is doing nothing. Right now, my average per hit is around 35cents but I know that the more I do, the lower that will be. I am being selective so I don't max out my numbers and have something really good come along and have to skip it. In a few days, I will be open to take anything.
I guess that is my question. Some people like to track hourly averages but I am tracking per hits so I can estimate how many I will need to do per day. Is 500 or 1000 possible with hits that are worth more than 3 cents?

DeeDee85

Reaction score
Doing this budget and writing down every penny that I spent for the past week has showed me that I am living way beyond my means and wasting a lot of money on junk. Take out alone was close to $100 in 7 days! Plus $230 on groceries plus $77 for my kids' school lunches. I am doing my damnedest to buckle down from now on. I wouldn't be in this situation is I paid attention years ago.

jan

Reaction score
Thank You,
I am fine with the long hours and menial tasks. I spend around 55 hours per week at my job and 75% of that is doing nothing. Right now, my average per hit is around 35cents but I know that the more I do, the lower that will be. I am being selective so I don't max out my numbers and have something really good come along and have to skip it. In a few days, I will be open to take anything.
I guess that is my question. Some people like to track hourly averages but I am tracking per hits so I can estimate how many I will need to do per day. Is 500 or 1000 possible with hits that are worth more than 3 cents?
I spend no more than 70/week on groceries for myself and my teen (I cook everything, including bread - from scratch). But that's our style :).

I can't give you an answer about what will get you what you want. There used to be someone around (I wonder if he is still here) who made tons on penny HITS. He was just amazing. Other's couldn't make that work for them. one person (only one, that I know of) does transcription and says he make a lot. Others do a mix of surveys and batches.

The highest earners can write scripts and do batches.

It depends on you, your skills, your computer and your ability. The best advice I can give is get every qualification that you can. And listen to what the high earners do.

DeeDee85

Reaction score
I spend no more than 70/week on groceries for myself and my teen (I cook everything, including bread - from scratch). But that's our style :).

I can't give you an answer about what will get you what you want. There used to be someone around (I wonder if he is still here) who made tons on penny HITS. He was just amazing. Other's couldn't make that work for them. one person (only one, that I know of) does transcription and says he make a lot. Others do a mix of surveys and batches.

The highest earners can write scripts and do batches.

It depends on you, your skills, your computer and your ability. The best advice I can give is get every qualification that you can. And listen to what the high earners do.
I cook most every night. Usually it is the crock pot because I work. I have two teenage boys and they eat everything and anything. I have resorted to hiding snacks in old suitcases in my closet so they don't eat a week's worth of groceries in a day. The fast food is mainly me. I am not the only one eating it but I am buying it. Usually for employees that I supervise. At the end of the year I can write it off but it is no good for me now.

And I realize that everyone works differently. I was just trying to give myself some hope that it is possible. I will turk my butt off and hope to make bonuses at work too. Bonuses are based on sales and the store has been 100% dead for the past month but hopefully things pick up soon. I will make it work.

Reactions: jan