New requester: how to "advertise" a HIT, get more workers?

TerraBerra

Reaction score
Hi all: I launched my first MTurk survey Friday morning, and after a great start the first few hours of getting a lot workers accepting the HIT, I seem to have hit a wall, and am not getting many new survey takers. For the study purposes I used premium qualifications to (try to) get equal representation in gender * political affiliation groups (male/female; liberal/conservative)--but this meant my HIT was automatically "hidden" from those not meeting qualifications, and I couldn't undo that. (I also used general qualifications--HIT approval, location, etc.).

Any ideas here of how to get this HIT info out to workers? I read about exporting the HIT, and downloaded MTurk Suite, but that only seems applicable to Workers. Do I just post info about it in a particular thread here on MTC?

The HIT is a 10-minute survey about community values that pays $2. Thank you all in advance for any guidance here.

~Tara

Reactions: theturkscribe

jan

Reaction score
Hi all: I launched my first MTurk survey Friday morning, and after a great start the first few hours of getting a lot workers accepting the HIT, I seem to have hit a wall, and am not getting many new survey takers. For the study purposes I used premium qualifications to (try to) get equal representation in gender * political affiliation groups (male/female; liberal/conservative)--but this meant my HIT was automatically "hidden" from those not meeting qualifications, and I couldn't undo that. (I also used general qualifications--HIT approval, location, etc.).

Any ideas here of how to get this HIT info out to workers? I read about exporting the HIT, and downloaded MTurk Suite, but that only seems applicable to Workers. Do I just post info about it in a particular thread here on MTC?

The HIT is a 10-minute survey about community values that pays $2. Thank you all in advance for any guidance here.

~Tara
It sounds like you are compensating the HIT well (this is what works best, of course - folks will see it and want to take it). Is it a masters HIT only? Or is it for non-masters as well? If it's just for master's, I'd open it up for non- masters and leave the approval percentage high - this is the best way to screen out poor workers.

Just for info, I never filled out the Amazon qualifications. I just......don't want to. So, if that's the qualifications you used, you'll miss some obdurate folks from your sample :).

A6_Foul_Out

I only use Organic TurkerView reviews
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
https://turkerview.com/requesters/A2DNQJ3FQI0HNJ-tara-warner

Going to go out on a limb and say that this is you.

I can only export the version that I see, seeing as the others are hidden. I'll have an ask around and see if the people from other demos can export (share to the forum) their versions as well. Everybody that reasonably saw the hit on friday has appeared to have done it. Your project appears to be rather large considering it's still up from friday. When more people see the hit after it's exported, surely more results will start to come in.

As jan @jan said, people need to fill out a HIT from amazon telling them of their affiliations, so not everybody has these qualifications by default.

Last edited:

TerraBerra

Reaction score
It sounds like you are compensating the HIT well (this is what works best, of course - folks will see it and want to take it). Is it a masters HIT only? Or is it for non-masters as well? If it's just for master's, I'd open it up for non- masters and leave the approval percentage high - this is the best way to screen out poor workers.

Just for info, I never filled out the Amazon qualifications. I just......don't want to. So, if that's the qualifications you used, you'll miss some obdurate folks from your sample :).
Jan, thanks for your response. It's not limited to masters, but I do have 2 premium qualifications (gender & political affiliation). I totally understand workers possibly not wanting to fill out those qualifications, and knew this was a potential risk; however, I'm trying to ensure adequate sample sizes in each group on limited funds, and without wasting Workers' time.

Reactions: jan

TerraBerra

Reaction score
A6_Foul_Out, yes, that's me! Is it appropriate for requesters to post the details/qualifications/HIT ids for their studies to the forum? It makes sense that Workers would only be able to view/export the version for which they qualify--there are 4 versions for each gender*political affiliation group (where I'm trying to get 400 in each group). I'm having much better luck for some groups and not others. Many thanks