NEW MTURK REQUESTER DESPERATELY SEEKING TO BECOME A GOOD MTURK REQUESTER

drwecki

Reaction score
Hello All,

My name is Brian Drwecki, and I'm an academic researcher [professor at Regis University in Denver] who is running their first study on MTURK, and I want your advice on how to be a good requester.

So, I run studies where folks get what I believe is a solid pay rate [1.50 for 5 to 10 minutes of work]. In addition, participants can earn up to $2.00 of bonus money, some of this is for hitting goals of good works [I give participants 60 seconds to list as many objects in a category [think name car brands you can think of], if they hit 6, I give a .50 bonus]. The other bonus is economic decision making stuff.. Here's a dollar how do you split it among yourself and the next MTURK worker [the money goes to both the worker/participant and the next worker/participant].

Now, here are my questions

Is 1.50 + bonuses fair compensation for 5-10 minutes of work?

How do I best communicate that there are bonuses?

I want to run 280 workers, but I keep noticing that as soon as I post a hit, I get a ton of respondents, but then it gets really slow. Yesterday, I posted a a 40 participant hit, I got 25 participants quickly, and then it's died down. Now, I set my hit duration for 75 hours [three days]; I feel this was a mistake, and I would love education on what workers look for in hits [and frankly, how this whole process works on your end].

Frankly, my goal is to run 280 participants/workers [we call y'all participants in our IRBs]; help me get there and stay there. I want to use MTURK as my primary research tool, so my goal is to build up a good reputation, pay people fairly, and frankly, get work done well.

My recruitment strategy is 96% and 100 hits, do you suggest a different one?

Finally, I have a scientific task were I give folks a bonus 50 cents and have them choose to spend it in 10 cent increments on a chance to earn even more money, but I notice that many folks aren't really taking the risk, which is totally fine and is part of learning in science, but my question is, is .10 cents a lot of money on a HIT and in the future should I drop it to .05 [let me rephrase, is .10 cents more valued on MTURK than I thought it was, I was thinking about it as pocket change as this is my first study, I don't know how .10 cents is viewed on MTURK] .

I really appreciate the help.

Also, since you're workers, is this very post unfair and should I pay you for your responses on it [if this question sounds insane let me know, but I asked it because it's not OK to exploit workers and I want to make sure I'm not exploiting you; I'm not against paying for this consulting, but honestly, I wouldn't know how to pay you via MTURK without doing a study [the bonus pay requires the HIT ID thing which would probably block payment on mtruk].

I have read the charter of what a good requester is that was composed by MTURK workers, and I will follow those guidelines [pay a fair wage, pay in a timely fashion, don't mess with your workforce, underpromise on bonus monetary delivery]; however, how can I be even better?

I really appreciate you and your consulting here.

savvy

goin' down to the yee-haw
Reaction score
Hello All,

My name is Brian Drwecki, and I'm an academic researcher [professor at Regis University in Denver] who is running their first study on MTURK, and I want your advice on how to be a good requester.

So, I run studies where folks get what I believe is a solid pay rate [1.50 for 5 to 10 minutes of work]. In addition, participants can earn up to $2.00 of bonus money, some of this is for hitting goals of good works [I give participants 60 seconds to list as many objects in a category [think name car brands you can think of], if they hit 6, I give a .50 bonus]. The other bonus is economic decision making stuff.. Here's a dollar how do you split it among yourself and the next MTURK worker [the money goes to both the worker/participant and the next worker/participant].

Now, here are my questions

Is 1.50 + bonuses fair compensation for 5-10 minutes of work?

How do I best communicate that there are bonuses?

I want to run 280 workers, but I keep noticing that as soon as I post a hit, I get a ton of respondents, but then it gets really slow. Yesterday, I posted a a 40 participant hit, I got 25 participants quickly, and then it's died down. Now, I set my hit duration for 75 hours [three days]; I feel this was a mistake, and I would love education on what workers look for in hits [and frankly, how this whole process works on your end].

Frankly, my goal is to run 280 participants/workers [we call y'all participants in our IRBs]; help me get there and stay there. I want to use MTURK as my primary research tool, so my goal is to build up a good reputation, pay people fairly, and frankly, get work done well.

My recruitment strategy is 96% and 100 hits, do you suggest a different one?

Finally, I have a scientific task were I give folks a bonus 50 cents and have them choose to spend it in 10 cent increments on a chance to earn even more money, but I notice that many folks aren't really taking the risk, which is totally fine and is part of learning in science, but my question is, is .10 cents a lot of money on a HIT and in the future should I drop it to .05 [let me rephrase, is .10 cents more valued on MTURK than I thought it was, I was thinking about it as pocket change as this is my first study, I don't know how .10 cents is viewed on MTURK] .

I really appreciate the help.

Also, since you're workers, is this very post unfair and should I pay you for your responses on it [if this question sounds insane let me know, but I asked it because it's not OK to exploit workers and I want to make sure I'm not exploiting you; I'm not against paying for this consulting, but honestly, I wouldn't know how to pay you via MTURK without doing a study [the bonus pay requires the HIT ID thing which would probably block payment on mtruk].

I have read the charter of what a good requester is that was composed by MTURK workers, and I will follow those guidelines [pay a fair wage, pay in a timely fashion, don't mess with your workforce, underpromise on bonus monetary delivery]; however, how can I be even better?

I really appreciate you and your consulting here.
jan @jan gave you some good answers in the welcome message, i would say much the same.

On acceptance rate... 96 is almost too generous, 98% would get you more than enough respondents.

Reactions: scrmcasey

A6_Foul_Out

I only use Organic TurkerView reviews
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reactions: savvy and scrmcasey