New "Members Only" Subforum

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I just want to let you all know that we've added a new Members Only subforum to the Social Discussion forum.

We have several threads in the Social Discussion forum that tend to contain a lot of personal stuff, and that are all generally visible to just about anyone that comes along (they also all get indexed by Google and other web crawlers and such.) So the purpose of this new subforum is to provide a place for people to post things that they may want to share with other members here, but not so much the rest of the world.

I've moved a handful of threads over already, however I've also left permanent redirects to them in the Social Discussion forum so they can still be accessed from the same place that they've always been. New posts in those threads will also continue to show up in the New Posts list and the Latest Posts sidebar widget on the front page for logged in members, but they won't show up for anyone else. If anyone can think of any threads that I missed that might contain a lot of personal stuff (or even anything that some might consider to be objectionable in some way), please let us know so we can move it over.

Thanks, everyone. <3

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I guess I should add that putting stuff in spoilers will still hide it from non-members in other parts of the forum, as well. So that's always an option too, if people are unsure about whether they want to share something somewhere or not.

turkleton

Muddarator
Reaction score
This is the most Minority Report-fearing thing you've ever done.

Reactions: aveline

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
This is the most Minority Report-fearing thing you've ever done.
It's just from that conversation last night. I've been thinking about it for a while, and that discussion just made me think that maybe it was time.

Yeah, I've considered it. Unfortunately, XenForo doesn't really let you hide individual threads. You can only hide whole forums. I like much of the social discussion forum being visible to non-members because it helps to show activity on the forum (especially now, since so much of our activity happens outside of the work threads.)

The main thread that has always concerned me though is the Sad Pandas thread. The spoiler thing was a compromise, but I feel like it's not good enough. I might just make a members-only subforum in Social Discussion that can be hidden and move some threads over there (Sad Pandas, Politics, maybe here and Peachy's thread, etc.) But I guess my concern has been that maybe people wouldn't like their threads to be hidden like that? Does anyone care?