Never Ending Chat

Favorite animals:

• Total voters

ctraltDel

Contributor
Reaction score
Vanyanka @Vanyanka - oh man tell me if you like the time revolution mist! I think I bought something similar from Missha a couple years ago but I lost it moving out of dorms T__T

Reactions: Jaded

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I want to start preparing dinner at home again for my husband and myself again. I've fallen into the bad habit of going out to eat or getting takeout most of the time. I'm a vegetarian who leans vegan but my husband is an omnivore. I've been scouring Pinterest, of course, but if anyone has ideas on vegetarian meals to make that a meat eater would also enjoy, let me know!

Michele @Michele coffeeowl @coffeeowl

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I want to start preparing dinner at home again for my husband and myself again. I've fallen into the bad habit of going out to eat or getting takeout most of the time. I'm a vegetarian who leans vegan but my husband is an omnivore. I've been scouring Pinterest, of course, but if anyone has ideas on vegetarian meals to make that a meat eater would also enjoy, let me know!

I'm the only veg in my family and cook for them quite a bit especially my Sis. They like hearty meals it seems the most. So veg lasagna, chili, soups, stews and brunch or breakfast type dishes (frittatas, baked scrambled eggs etc). seem to go over best with them. Also, taco night or anything people have to assemble themselves is a hit. I save my raw stuff, zoodles and tofu dishes (hello baked tofu with peanut sauce and stir-fried veg) for myself or other veggie friends.

Reactions: Vanyanka and Sondi

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

This topic is near and dear to me at the moment! My husband and I are the opposite - I lean omni, but he wants to eat mostly vegan these days so I'm doing a lot of veg cooking.

-Sloppy lentils are really good! - or lentil/black bean tacos (with cotija or queso fresco + mango salsa, yum).
-Super lazy option = frozen veggie burgers & green salad.
-Another of my faves (except my husband doesn't really like mushrooms), is this mushroom ragu over polenta. It's satisfyingly meaty especially if you add a little soy sauce/red wine to deepen the flavor. Good with roasted broccoli or peas.
-Add some chickpeas browned in a pan with a sprinkle of paprika in place of eggs or meat to make a salad more filling.
-Chickpea salad sandwiches are quick and easy and hearty - serve with tomato soup :hungry:
-Change up the toppings! Ex: we're having black bean soup tonight, and my husband will have homemade guac on his, but I'll add a dollop of sour cream and cheese to mine.

I also find that adding a few 'extras' to a meal can curb that "where's the meat?" attitude - like olives, bread and chopped fresh fruit drizzled with a little honey. It really goes a long way.

ed: forgot burrito bowls too - easy to make vegan, veggie, or omni by switching up the toppings :)

Last edited:

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
This topic is near and dear to me at the moment! My husband and I are the opposite - I lean omni, but he wants to eat mostly vegan these days so I'm doing a lot of veg cooking.

-Sloppy lentils are really good! - or lentil/black bean tacos (with cotija or queso fresco + mango salsa, yum).
-Another of my faves (except my husband doesn't really like mushrooms), is this mushroom ragu over polenta. It's satisfyingly meaty especially if you add a little soy sauce/red wine to deepen the flavor. Good with roasted broccoli or peas.
-Add some chickpeas browned in a pan with a sprinkle of paprika in place of eggs or meat to make a salad more filling.
-Chickpea salad sandwiches are quick and easy and hearty - serve with tomato soup :hungry:
-Change up the toppings! Ex: we're having black bean soup tonight, and my husband will have homemade guac on his, but I'll add a dollop of sour cream and cheese to mine.

I also find that adding a few 'extras' to a meal can curb that "where's the meat?" attitude - like olives, bread and chopped fresh fruit drizzled with a little honey. It really goes a long way.

ed: forgot burrito bowls too - easy to make vegan, veggie, or omni by switching up the toppings :)
These are wonderful ideas! You seem to be an experienced cook. I'm thinking I may try the chickpea salad sandwich for tonight's dinner.

Reactions: Sondi

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
These are wonderful ideas! You seem to be an experienced cook. I'm thinking I may try the chickpea salad sandwich for tonight's dinner.
haha thanks - I cook a lot :electrolyte: I sometimes make a curry powder version of the chickpea salad too with halved red grapes and golden raisins and toasted pecans, because I like chicken salad that way :hungry:

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

I eat vegan burrito bowls almost everyday. Sometimes with rice other times with roasted potatoes. Switch up the beans/veg/greens and it is always different.

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I eat vegan burrito bowls almost everyday. Sometimes with rice other times with roasted potatoes. Switch up the beans/veg/greens and it is always different.
I may be able to trick my husband into eating one of these with the right combo of ingredients.

Reactions: Sondi and coffeeowl

Michele

Working on degree in Moon
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score

hey :) I just saw this right now. At least vegetarian is a little easier than vegan. Does he like pasta? I sometimes do this old recipe I learned a few years ago that's "California Cuisine" but really good. It's just angel hair pasta, with a sauce that's made of pine nuts, fresh cut or ripped basil, extra virgin olive oil, chopped black olives, tomatoes and finely grated parmesan cheese. You just boil the tomatoes for a minute or so, so you can take the skins off and then chop them into a bowl, add a half cup or so of the extra vigin olive oil and the rest of the ingredients. I don't have real mesurements, it's kind of to taste and depends how much of the sauce you want. But you can serve it warm or cold. Put it over the pasta, add a salad and some sourdough, maybe heated ...it's excellent. Oh, yeah, and of course, it's vegan without the parmesan and with fake butter for the bread.

Last edited:

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
You're awesome. I cook pretty much everything to taste and rarely follow a recipe so this is perfect. I love that I can make it vegan to because I'm trying to eat that way as much as possible.

Reactions: Sondi

Michele

Working on degree in Moon
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score

...you probably have enough ideas by now, but I forgot to say that in general it seems like we rely a lot on potatoes, rice, beans, and salads. Before dropping off my son for college a couple days ago ;( , his dinners, as a picky vegetarian were usually either, grilled cheese with veggies or salad, macaroni with veggies or salad, Trader Joe's fettucine with veggies or salad, or homemade nachos with sourcream and avacado. Otherwise, a lot what I eat for dinner is simple easy stuff like fries and a good salad, rice with (fake) butter sauteed mushrooms and salad or vegeatbles, potato salad with vegan mayo....

Reactions: Sondi and Vanyanka