MTurk Mentors

KennyAm1998

Reaction score
Hey pals am new here looking for a good guideline right 'em here any one with good ethical tips should help pls to be honest...√√√√

Reactions: savvy and jan

YayaBuen

Reaction score
Hello there, how can I make money with Mturks?

rs5050

Reaction score
Hey there. I'm super new to mturk, but i've been doing "this type of thing" on a few other sites for a few months now. I've poured through the guides here, on Reddit, the mturkguide.com site. I'm running a few extensions already as well (Panda Crazy stuff, TurkOpticon) and MTurk suite. I've worked in IT for 25+ years now, so I've got a good understanding of how userscripts work and all. I think I tend to overthink some of it as well, which doesn't help either.

Really I'd like to just get connected with a @Mentor that I can just randomly bounce questions off of who is patient enough and knowledgeable enough to help me through these early stages as I move towards that first 5000.

Thanks

jan

Reaction score
Hi!

I wish we had some mentors still stepping up. The truth is, mturk has really slowed in the last few years and there are far fewer people out there. My guess is you're probably more equipped than most to figure mturk (such as it is) out. If you do have a question, I'd post it in the main thread (for visibility).

But what you are doing is most of what we'd recommend. There are folks that script and that - for sure - helps with batch work.

rs5050

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Jan.

I'm curious if you could shed a bit more light into the "mturk has really slowed in the last few years" side of things for me.

Reactions: jan

jan

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Jan.

I'm curious if you could shed a bit more light into the "mturk has really slowed in the last few years" side of things for me.
it's a shadow of its former self. a few people would regularly make 100 a day (well, those who were 'good at it'). Average turkers could pretty readily make 30-50 dollars a day.

That still happens, but there are fewer requesters, fewer batches - just a lot less work. Many have left the platform (requesters and turkers), and those that remain are aware that the few good hits or quals involve a lot more competition. It's just harder. We used to know the absolute number of hits available. that number is hidden - but we can all see that mturk has significantly declined.

• Thinking
Reactions: rs5050

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Welcome R @rs5050 ! :wave2:

It does sound like you've done your research and will have a leg up as you get started. I'm not constantly on the forum, anymore, but I'm usually reachable on the forum Discord via PM. I'd be happy to answer any offhand questions you've got.
You can join here:
https://www.mturkcrowd.com/pages/discord/

jan @jan There's a script to show the total HITs located here:
https://turkerview.com/mturk-scripts/3-mturk-worker-display-total-available-hits
although I haven't been curious enough to use it.

Reactions: jan

redoctobers

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to mturk and I just had a question and it might sound silly. Is it bad if I return a HIT that I already started? Will it be similar to a rejection? I am a bit worried.

Thank you

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to mturk and I just had a question and it might sound silly. Is it bad if I return a HIT that I already started? Will it be similar to a rejection? I am a bit worried.

Thank you
No, it's perfectly fine. When you return a HIT or let it expire it just goes back into the pool so someone else can accept it. It's not something you really need to worry about.

Reactions: WorkerGoBrrr

mohitsinghdangi

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I did 3799 hits of requester JANINE CHEN he rejected my all work without quality check.
f**king Spammer requester. my approval rate reduced from 97.55 to 94.6. why mturk does not help in these conditions
can anyone help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ecko

Contributor
Reaction score
I did 3799 hits of requester JANINE CHEN he rejected my all work without quality check.
f**king Spammer requester. my approval rate reduced from 97.55 to 94.6. why mturk does not help in these conditions
can anyone help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your only option is to email the requester and ask them to reverse the rejections. Amazon doesn't get involved on the workers behalf so they won't be able to do anything. My best advice is grind your approval back above 95 and be very careful who you do work for in the future. This requester has a 67% approval rating which is a huge red flag.

Helen Nnolum

Helenekwy6
Reaction score
Please am new here,can anyone direct me on how to earn in mturk crowd.

LML

Reaction score
Hello! I clicked on a survey, filled out a couple of basic demographic things (no bank account, SS#, etc.), and then a page came up with a privacy agreement. Of course the only option was to agree; I wasn't comfortable with that, so I closed that window, clicked "bad HIT" and then the reason that was the closest was "privacy violation". I wish that I knew about this kind of thing prior to accepting a HIT. I'm assuming that it would be most prudent to avoid surveys altogether, for a newbie such as myself? Also concerned that my rating will go down, as I only have 4 HITs completed to date. Advice?

ecko

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello! I clicked on a survey, filled out a couple of basic demographic things (no bank account, SS#, etc.), and then a page came up with a privacy agreement. Of course the only option was to agree; I wasn't comfortable with that, so I closed that window, clicked "bad HIT" and then the reason that was the closest was "privacy violation". I wish that I knew about this kind of thing prior to accepting a HIT. I'm assuming that it would be most prudent to avoid surveys altogether, for a newbie such as myself? Also concerned that my rating will go down, as I only have 4 HITs completed to date. Advice?
You are always going to have some sort of consent form or privacy agreement when you take surveys, that doesn't make them a bad hit. You should only use that option if the survey asks for personal info like your SSN, real name etc. Returning hits does not hurt your account.

LML

Reaction score
You are always going to have some sort of consent form or privacy agreement when you take surveys, that doesn't make them a bad hit. You should only use that option if the survey asks for personal info like your SSN, real name etc. Returning hits does not hurt your account.
Thank you- noted; just being overly cautious.