Looking for advice to improve a listing

wgordon

Requester
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and fairly new to MTurk overall (less than 2,000 HIT requests). I'm going to publish a large batch of HITs soon and want to hear from workers how to simplify and improve the success rate for the HITs.

The basic nature of the request will be the following:

Given a business name, owner name, phone number, address, and website, return the business owner's email address.

Secondly, the company websites I have are sometimes the official website, sometimes a website for a single location, and sometimes not actually an active site (e.g. just a parked page). I'd like to get the official website for the company.

There's a third piece of information I want to collect, but it's even harder. I want to know which software platform the company uses for managing their rental properties. Many don't use any software, but the ones that do tend to fall into a few different platforms.

If you were working this HIT, how would you want it broken down? How would you want the information displayed?

Kadauchi

Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
The standard way would be to have the information you have in a table. The information that you want would be just input boxes that are labeled underneath that. The most important thing would be to have robust instructions with examples specifically for the software platform. The other two would be easy, find the official website, then look on the contact page/footer/whois to get an email.

Reactions: mTurk8705

Matilda Jones

Grey Ghost
Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of times, despite our best efforts, we can't find the information because it's not available online. Please be clear in the instructions whether you will accept "N/A" if the information can't be found. :)

sryan66611

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and fairly new to MTurk overall (less than 2,000 HIT requests). I'm going to publish a large batch of HITs soon and want to hear from workers how to simplify and improve the success rate for the HITs.

The basic nature of the request will be the following:

Given a business name, owner name, phone number, address, and website, return the business owner's email address.

Secondly, the company websites I have are sometimes the official website, sometimes a website for a single location, and sometimes not actually an active site (e.g. just a parked page). I'd like to get the official website for the company.

There's a third piece of information I want to collect, but it's even harder. I want to know which software platform the company uses for managing their rental properties. Many don't use any software, but the ones that do tend to fall into a few different platforms.

If you were working this HIT, how would you want it broken down? How would you want the information displayed?
Aside from what Kadauchi @Kadauchi said it may also be beneficial to split the tasks up into parts... so like part 1 find the email address as a separate task then create one for the official website and finally the software platform. I don't know if this is cost efficient or not but it can be easier for workers to do just one task at a time for better efficiency an overall quality.

Reactions: kryss and Sik06

Kadauchi

Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Aside from what Kadauchi @Kadauchi said it may also be beneficial to split the tasks up into parts... so like part 1 find the email address as a separate task then create one for the official website and finally the software platform. I don't know if this is cost efficient or not but it can be easier for workers to do just one task at a time for better efficiency an overall quality.
The other data points help with the other imo. You are more than likely to get the email if you find an official url, and that official url will help lead to finding the software. Splitting it up forces more work on the workers.

sryan66611

Contributor
Reaction score
The other data points help with the other imo. You are more than likely to get the email if you find an official url, and that official url will help lead to finding the software. Splitting it up forces more work on the workers.
Ur right I was just thinking along the lines of how other requesters did it in parts I thought it wasn't to bad but it may not work with this info.

Reactions: Sik06 and <Gucci>

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of times, despite our best efforts, we can't find the information because it's not available online. Please be clear in the instructions whether you will accept "N/A" if the information can't be found. :)
This is super important. If you write in your instructions that N/A is not acceptable or workers should skip HITs that you can't find the information for, keep in mind that you'll potentially lose a lot of good workers. Most hard working people don't want to spend time and effort on a task and then not get paid for it.

Reactions: Matilda Jones

charlie

Reaction score
Hi all,

This needs to be separate. The likelihood of this information being public is slim to none. I know, for instance, that the software my brother's commercial real estate tenant representation company uses is proprietary and not mentioned anywhere. His prior company used a more readily available piece but again that information was not readily available to the wandering public.

T. Leela

Oh Lord...
Contributor
Reaction score

Sik06

Reaction score
So what was the answer if you can't find it. Is N/A an acceptable answer or do we have to return it and it was wasted time?