LeapForce: Heads Up

Sun

Reaction score
I applied to Leapforce because, quite frankly, I intended to write a review of their service for my rural-small town-focused websites. What I learned is that it's best not to ask questions of support. I can only speak about the process before you get accepted. I received an email from them saying that my exam (three parts) was to start on a Friday and I would get an email with the log-in instructions by 5 pm the day prior. The weekend passed and I had not received an email. I emailed them and within 24 hours, I had the promised email and link. Good job, I thought, albeit late, but prompt support response. No apology. No explanation provided. I did the first exam and passed. I recall rushing though as I did not know how much time was allocated to taking the test, other than you have 7 days to both study the 100-plus page of text and the 3-part exam. I also did not know what their clickable buttons meant -- they were not intuitive and the hover help words were not helpful. I noticed others online asking also for an explanation of those buttons.

During the second exam, my internet connection failed during a storm here. When it was restored 26 hours later, I logged on and learned that I was able to proceed with the 2nd exam. I slogged through page after page of url reviews and scoring of sites. I submitted the exam and within seconds I was told by an automated email that I had failed because I had not completed the entire 2nd part of the exam. The page that had been displayed when my internet disconnected was not submitted and could not be submitted. That page had expired during the crash and you can not return to an expired page.

I contacted support and explained what happened. I received an email to reschedule taking all three parts once again. I was told that I had to start at midnight on a Monday. I sent an email saying "Midnight? To make sure, we're on the same page, you do mean midnight Monday, e.g. 11:59 pm Monday. " I only asked because my intuition pushed me to get clarification. I received an email that said, "No. We mean midnight Monday."

Hmmm.

I wrote back, saying, "Let's rephrase that. Do you mean midnight between Sunday and Monday or midnight between Monday and Tuesday?"

LOL.

The answer I got was "Midnight between Sunday and Monday." Go figure! Glad my intuition prodded me to press on as I truly thought Monday at midnight was, well, the end of Monday, at midnight.

I then told them that I knew that the exam had to be completed in 7 days and had three parts but could they please tell me how many hours I could spend on Exam 1, Exam 2, and Exam 3, so I didn't work too slow or too fast on each exam section. You can only proceed to the next exam when you have finished one, passed and been OK'd for the next exam.

I was told, "You have seven days to finished the exam."

sigh.

I wrote back and said, "So I could spend 7 days on exam one?"

"Each exam has a set time in which it must be completed. If you spend 7 hours on exam one, you will not complete all three parts, which is why we encourage you to start the exam immediately."

sigh.

I wrote again and said, " As you said each exam has a set time in which it must be completed, can you please tell me how many hours can be spent on each exam, individually? In other words, if I start at 8 am on exam 1, by what time must I complete it? I ask because my internet failed during my first take and the page I was working on expired. I know we must have something like 15 minutes to do each page or something like that but I do not know what it is and it isn't in the instructions."

Response: "You have seven days to complete the exam."

I resent my email, saying I was feeling a bit frustrated and hoped they would reread my email and let me know how much time was allocated to Exam 1. (I was thinking I could next ask about exam 2)

Response: "I do not know why you are being so rude to an employer. I do not know what is so hard to understand. The exam is 7 days. "

Well, they are not an employer. They are a contractor hiring independent contractors. However, from what I read online about their working relationship with IC's, their behavior does violate the legal definition of independent contractor, which was interesting to me, given that they referred to themselves as an employer. DADavidson, the financial company, was sued for this by their financial advisors who are classified as independent contractors but treated as employees. They lost their class action suit because DA Davidson said that their financial advisors are actually sales people, which fall into a separate category of independent contractors.

Meanwhile, the Leapforce exam was suppose to start in a few days and once again, I never received an email with the link to the exam. I logged onto my account and noticed that sections of my account had disappeared.

I emailed them three times since, asking when the exam email would arrive.

I have not heard a word from them since.

Please note that I never used any profanity or aggressive language. The extent of my aggression was to voice that I was feeling frustrated in the email to-fro.

I'm positive now that I am being ignored and have been removed from the pool of applicants.

I have no hard feelings over this. As I said, I applied so I could write a service review. However, I wanted to share this with others in the event you want to apply to Leapforce. There are people who say they have had a good experience. I hope you will also -- just don't ask too many questions! lol

Reactions: NotTurkfactor

girlbettaturk

Reaction score
I do some work for Leapforce, and I definitely agree that sometimes, their communication and service can use a LOT of help. The way they do their invoicing is annoying (and I am positive I have been cheated out of some money there) and a lot of the work truly is subjective, though they say it isn't.

That said, the project I'm on now is boring, but easy (but only an hour a day). My previous project was a whole lot more convoluted.

Reactions: Binxybaby

weakman

Reaction score
I do some work for Leapforce, and I definitely agree that sometimes, their communication and service can use a LOT of help. The way they do their invoicing is annoying (and I am positive I have been cheated out of some money there) and a lot of the work truly is subjective, though they say it isn't.

That said, the project I'm on now is boring, but easy (but only an hour a day). My previous project was a whole lot more convoluted.
How long did it take for leap force to accept you? I just applied today.

SCOTTM

Reaction score
Do they take taxes out or do we file 1099 tax form as independent contractor?

Taytay

Reaction score
I have been trying to get into doing work for leap force also, thanks for the heads up about the lack of communication skills!:)

Cara

ad space now available
Contributor
Reaction score
that is crazy. i probably would not have even bothered after that.