Kerek Tag Thread

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
"If the light of friendship is a form of power...the darkness of being alone is a power...even greater. Darkness is the heart's true nature."
This is what I believe.

(Not really)

( ducky @ducky)

Reactions: Jaded and ducky

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
"If the light of friendship is a form of power...the darkness of being alone is a power...even greater. Darkness is the heart's true nature."
This also echoes Eddings's essay about the nature of good versus evil, perspective, and the conflict of distributed power and concentrated power between the party of good people and the singular evil one.

Last edited:

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
MerryLou @MerryLou we're going to have to go through the entire

just to understand what the fuck is going on. I think I stopped during Birth by Sleep because I didn't care about random characters from the past, and you need to play Dream Drop Distance to know the immediate backstory for III.

Last edited:
Reactions: MerryLou

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
This also echoes Eddings's essay about the nature of good versus evil, perspective, and the conflict of distributed power and concentrated power between the party of good people and the singular evil one.
I think his conclusions or premises were wrong, though. If I remember correctly there was probably a lot of relativist nonsense and didn't address the fact that almost all of these villains are objectively evil and doing objectively evil things.

Reactions: Jaded

aveline

fun sucker
Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I don't even know where I'm at apparently

Reactions: Kerek

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I think his conclusions or premises were wrong, though. If I remember correctly there was probably a lot of relativist nonsense and didn't address the fact that almost all of these villains are objectively evil and doing objectively evil things.
"Gonna kill a bunch of my population, start a civilization destroying war, summon incomprehensible demons from the void that are using me for their own purposes and will eventually get out of hand since I could never have hoped to control them, torture, terrorize, assassinate, and suborn traitors in a fight against enemies I created through my own actions, but it's just a matter of perspective."

Last edited:

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
"Gonna kill a bunch of my population, start a civilization destroying war, summon incomprehensible demons from the void that are using me for their own purposes and will eventually get out of hand since I could never have hoped to control them, torture, terrorize, assassinate, and suborn traitors in a fight against enemies I created through my own actions, but it's just a matter of perspective."
"It's just a prank, bro."

Last edited:

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I mean, I could conceive of a situation where such things were "necessary" but it would take someone who's a one in a quintillion outlier on the moral wisdom scale to be capable of a decision like that. That takes a lot of hubris.

I blame people not understanding distributions, a.k.a., hubris.

Last edited:

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I mean, I could conceive of a situation where such things were "necessary" but it would take someone who's a one in a quintillion outlier on the moral wisdom scale to be capable of a decision like that. That takes a lot of hubris.

I have been reading a lot of fantasy and that is my conclusion.

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
They do wear cool outfits, though, so there's that.

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
They do wear cool outfits, though, so there's that.

Does it count as a zippered hoodie if it's a full length leather coat and allows you to travel through darkness portals?

ducky

fight for what's right
Contributor
Reaction score

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

I think the framework of distributions helps with understanding or solving those moral "lifeboat" scenarios as well. Like you'll kill a guy for water in a desert but not in your living room, because the desert is a several standard deviations away from normal situation whereas your living room is not.

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I don't even know what that is.
I should probably work out a way to :jekjek: a HIT easily since they changed the way that works and it's not just refreshing a URL.