International Bank Transfer eligibility speculation and theories

Maxekai

Reaction score
As many of you may already know, some "eligible" workers from some non-US countries are allowed to withdraw their earnings to their bank account through a service like Hyperwallet.
Amazing, huh? But remember, this is mturk. There is no information about this "eligibility". It's even more obscure than Masters. From what I have seen, it looks like it's some kind of lottery. But, why?

What's holding them from simply paying all workers from these countries?

They have been doing international payments for at least 1 year, this it's not a pilot project. Compared to USA and India, workers from these "eligible" countries amount to a relatively small portion of the worker base. This means that Amazon should be able to handle the logistics of paying all of them. Come on, they are AMAZON. They also don't have to set up anything because it's done through a third party service, it wouldn't cost them anything to just allow everyone to transfer.
This makes me think that they're checking your identity or that you aren't committing fraud.
Maybe I'm overthinking this too much and they just love lotteries, who knows.

However, it looks like their decisions are biased towards accounts that share some characteristics.
Almost all chosen workers had a relatively old account (no less than 2-3 months and many of them were 1 year+ old) or had high earnings. It may be unrelated, but some of them also had also been inactive for a few months.
Could there be some kind of earnings/account age threshold that workers need to meet before being included in this hypothetical lottery?
Are there any factors that affect "eligibility"? What is this "eligibility" about?

For all of those who have been deemed "eligible", please share your insights about the state of your account when you got approved.

Did you email Amazon about it? How high were your earnings? Did you complete the Premium Profile Qualification tests? What were your HITs Approved and Approval Rate stats? How old was your account? Did you complete many HITs during that time?

For everyone else, please feel free to share your thoughts and theories about this topic.

DCI

Reaction score
I really doubt that it has anything to do with the mturk accounts themselves. Just guessing, but it's probably something more to do with being able to verify identity with high confidence. Even a lot of US workers have a hard time getting verified.