I Made This! (crafty things)

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
Oh, how pretty. I love them.

I took a spinning class a few years ago, with first-time-hand-spinning-predictable results (though I thought that if I dyed it and knitted it up into a scarf it might be fun :wink:. Of course, first I need to learn to dye, too. I have some old wool that I found at a yard sale that I wanted to try with some kool aid :).
Spinning really and truly just boils down to practice. The more you spin the better your yarn. That's it. I had one lesson and the rest was practice and youtube. And more practice.

You and KittyRaces @KittyRaces should definitely try more spinning and/or dyeing! Instead of Kool-Aid, Wilton icing dyes are an alternative way to try non-toxic wool/animal fiber dyeing with more striking color options. Or if you have a good art supply store near you, see if they have Jacquard acid dyes which are just as easy to use and give the best results IMO (a few basic precautions are required when using acid dyes though, mainly don't use those cooking vessels/tools for food again. I dye stuff using old thrifted vegetable steamers in the backyard, ezpz). Wilton's is probably the best compromise on color and kid/kitchen-friendliness. If either of y'all do try any dyeing def let us know! :D

Edit to add: you can also sun-dye stuff when it gets hot! Take a glass jar, add the yarn, add the dye and vinegar, fill w/ water, and leave out in the sun for a day or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: clickhappier

KittyRaces

lengthening my shitlist by the minute
Contributor
Reaction score
Spinning really and truly just boils down to practice. The more you spin the better your yarn. That's it. I had one lesson and the rest was practice and youtube. And more practice.

You and KittyRaces @KittyRaces should definitely try more spinning and/or dyeing! Instead of Kool-Aid, Wilton icing dyes are an alternative way to try non-toxic wool/animal fiber dyeing with more striking color options. Or if you have a good art supply store near you, see if they have Jacquard acid dyes which are just as easy to use and give the best results IMO (a few basic precautions are required when using acid dyes though, mainly don't use those cooking vessels/tools for food again. I dye stuff using old thrifted vegetable steamers in the backyard, ezpz). Wilton's is probably the best compromise on color and kid/kitchen-friendliness. If either of y'all do try any dyeing def let us know! :D
I would love to, one day. When we have more disposable income and possibly are not longer renting haha I'm paranoid

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
I would love to, one day. When we have more disposable income and possibly are not longer renting haha I'm paranoid
Yeah you can thrift most supplies needed for dyeing (pretty much everything except saran wrap/baggies and the dye itself) but the yarn will cost a few bucks.

Speaking of yarn, what wershcloth pattern do you use for cotton yarn?

KittyRaces

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah you can thrift most supplies needed for dyeing (pretty much everything except saran wrap/baggies and the dye itself) but the yarn will cost a few bucks.

Speaking of yarn, what wershcloth pattern do you use for cotton yarn?
Confession: I haven't made any yet haha but I have a bunch queued in my Ravelry acct. I'm on mobile rn, but gimme a few mins and I'll share what I have :)

KittyRaces

Contributor
Reaction score

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score

KittyRaces

Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like you should send me the practice ones that aren't baby worthy.
LOL I haven't even decided which one I'm gonna do! I bought like eight small skeins of cotton yarn yesterday.

Reactions: essjay

Woofles

Reaction score
Every time I walk in a craft store I just walk up and down the yarn aisles for like 20 minutes.
Now someone brought up cross stitching and mounting them so........ I want to make everything!
Probably something Pokemon related so my bf can have it on the wall.

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
Every time I walk in a craft store I just walk up and down the yarn aisles for like 20 minutes.
Now someone brought up cross stitching and mounting them so........ I want to make everything!
and pet everything.

I love making nerdy cross stitches, my next project will be neko atsume cats, I've made some final fantasy characters.

ristiekay

SupernOtteral Princess
Reaction score
My 7 year old would love it if I cross-stitched him something Pokemon to hang up in his room. I'd been looking for something to knit, totally forgot about cross-stitching until today!!

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
My 7 year old would love it if I cross-stitched him something Pokemon to hang up in his room. I'd been looking for something to knit, totally forgot about cross-stitching until today!!
I find old video game things translate well into cross stitch, they're easy to make into custom patterns. especially something as popular as pokemon.