How do I give workers qualifications for taking my survey

kollektivet503

Requester
Reaction score
I'm new at this so I have a pretty basic question: How do I stop workers who take my first survey from taking my second?

Im guessing I can give workers qualifications for taking my first survey in order to be able to exclude them on that criteria in the next. But how do I do it in practice??

Or if there is some other way to do it, please tell :)

GlobalWorkForge

Requester
Reaction score
There are several ways you can do this.

1. The first (and most reliable) method is to use what called a 'reverse qualification". In this scenario, you grant a qualification to workers who have completed your survey. Then on the next survey, you apply a criteria that workers who hold that qualification cannot access you HIT.
  • Create a new qualification by going to the requester dashboard and click on manage>qualifications>create new qualification. Give it a name and a short description (call it something like "previous participant").
  • Grant that qualification to the workers you want to exclude from future surveys
  • - you can grant the qualification to workers by navigating to their manage worker page (easiest done from the results page of your first survey) and manually granting the qual, or by downloading your worker list, editing to give them the qual, and then uploading the list.
  • When you create your new HIT, apply the following qualification. "Previous Participant" "Has NOT been granted". This way, only workers who do NOT hold the "Previous Participant" qualification will be able to accept your HIT.
2. Soft-block workers by incorporating some javascript into your html. Easiest done using something like the unique turker service.

Last edited:

clickhappier

┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Subforum Curator
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I'm new at this so I have a pretty basic question: How do I stop workers who take my first survey from taking my second?

Im guessing I can give workers qualifications for taking my first survey in order to be able to exclude them on that criteria in the next. But how do I do it in practice??

Or if there is some other way to do it, please tell :)
I list some options here: Retake Prevention

clickhappier

┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Subforum Curator
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
There are several ways you can do this.

1. The first (and most reliable) method is to use what called a 'reverse qualification". In this scenario, you grant a qualification to workers who have completed your survey. Then on the next survey, you apply a criteria that workers who hold that qualification cannot access you HIT.
  • Create a new qualification by going to the requester dashboard and click on manage>qualifications>create new qualification. Give it a name and a short description (call it something like "previous participant").
  • Grant that qualification to the workers you want to exclude from future surveys
  • - you can grant the qualification to workers by navigating to their manage worker page (easiest done from the results page of your first survey) and manually granting the qual, or by downloading your worker list, editing to give them the qual, and then uploading the list.
  • When you create your new HIT, apply the following qualification. "Previous Participant" "Has NOT been granted". This way, only workers who do NOT hold the "Previous Participant" qualification will be able to accept your HIT.
2. Soft-block workers by incorporating some javascript into your html. Easiest done using something like the unique turker service.
Good post, except PLEASE don't use the word 'block' in any way when talking about MTurk unless you're talking about applying MTurk's actual block system which jeopardizes workers' accounts. Workers sometimes say 'hard block' to mean one where they receive Amazon's randomly-doled-out nastygram the morning after the block is applied, and 'soft block' to mean one without the email, but they are not distinguishable from the requester's side and can cause the same potential harm. (So due to this terminology which has been in use in the community for years, the term "soft block" is 'taken'. :wink: ) Please call what you're talking about some kind of 'limit' or 'cap' or 'restriction' something like that instead, to avoid confusion. :)

Last edited: