Hi

Thlinks

ITS COMPLICATED
Contributor
Reaction score
Quite an interesting gig I have going. Hopefully I learn enough to share the wealth. I destroyed my ankle on a mountain, that has kept me out of work. My boss is so awesome he won't lay me off so I can't collect unemployment.

Name is Thomas

ItsAmyTee

Corgo
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

Achilles2357

Reaction score
Roll with it! I could have collected unemployment, but didn't. OK, -$15,000, whatever. I wish I had it now, but I'm learning new things. Welcome!

Nibbles

Reaction score
Hi. New Mturker here. Found this forum last night, however joined this morning. Followed the suggest to work on getting first 1000 hits instead of going for hits that paid more.

Welllllll....I decided to "work that method" today. Found a hit for a penny....yep, a penny instead of the higher paying hits I was finding. Guess what I received today??!!!

MY FIRST REJECTED HIT FOR A PENNY!!!!! : (

IT WAS REJECTED BECAUSE I USED COMMAS TO SEPARATE THE NAMES!!!!! I just took a major hit as a new Mturker for a penny!!!!

Has this happened to anyone? I sent a message to inform the requester that the commas were used to separate the names - one would think that is. a given, but I guess not. A bit bummed, but what can I do.

I took the time to review the website to find ALL the names, separated them with a comma (proper grammar writing skills) and am penalized for it. : (.

Ugh!!!!!

Reactions: jan

jan

Reaction score
Hi. New Mturker here. Found this forum last night, however joined this morning. Followed the suggest to work on getting first 1000 hits instead of going for hits that paid more.

Welllllll....I decided to "work that method" today. Found a hit for a penny....yep, a penny instead of the higher paying hits I was finding. Guess what I received today??!!!

IT WAS REJECTED BECAUSE I USED COMMAS TO SEPARATE THE NAMES!!!!! I just took a major hit as a new Mturker for a penny!!!!

Has this happened to anyone? I sent a message to inform the requester that the commas were used to separate the names - one would think that is. a given, but I guess not. A bit bummed, but what can I do.

I took the time to review the website to find ALL the names, separated them with a comma (proper grammar writing skills) and am penalized for it. : (.

Ugh!!!!!
who is the requester? have you installed your hit database?
Don't worry about 1 rejection. You have so few hits, that will be easy to fix. However, you do want to be careful. You also want to join turkopticon and check TO of the requesters you work for (we give requesters ratings, so we have a heads up for tasks that might end in rejection).

Reactions: Nibbles

Nibbles

Reaction score
Vasily Shmelev

I am really bummed, but you are right. I was making almost $10 per day (not a lot, but decent for a new MTurker with so little hits available). I was going to change my plan to do between 50-100 hits per day to hurry and get to the 1000 milestone. I guess I need to reconsider that plan.

How is one able to know if one is a bad requestor or not? I feel that it was not realistic to reject a hit because I separated approximately 10 names with commas.

Nibbles

Reaction score
Also, I haven't installed a hit database. Where can I find this? I need to make sure I'm not finding bad requestors. I've had at least 3 that didn't pay or provide a code at the end of a survey too. Sigh. I realistically was only trying to earn between $15-$20 per day - doing it a few hours per day so I need to really learn the correct way to select hits. Thanks so much for the info.

"It ain't easy being green". :ROFL:

Nibbles

Reaction score
Vasily Shmelev Collect course instructors $0.01 Rejected
Name contains comma: Shelley Correll, Gary Dexter, Mary Ann Huckabay, Dan M. Klein, Brian Lowery, Margaret Ann Neale, J.D. Schramm, Baba Shiv, Jesper B. Sørensen (name)

This is how I separated the names for the hit.

jan

Reaction score
Name contains comma: Shelley Correll, Gary Dexter, Mary Ann Huckabay, Dan M. Klein, Brian Lowery, Margaret Ann Neale, J.D. Schramm, Baba Shiv, Jesper B. Sørensen (name)

http://www.mturkcrowd.com/posts/170/
Read this and install those scripts (tampermonkey or greasemonkey). Then install turkopticon and join (also on that page).

jan

Reaction score

I just looked them up on turkopticon - and it's all red :(. They reject quite frequently. Don't worry, though. Now you know not to work for requesters with that history. As soon as you read theiir TO you'll see. Turkopticon is here. https://turkopticon.ucsd.edu/ There's a new one in beta and I had to install both (there are directions on the page when you go to that link.

Nibbles

Reaction score
Jan, thanks sooooooo much for the information. I'm going to really learn as much information here before actually doing many hits right now. Someone even paid me a 1.00 bonus for being through with my survey and comments, then this 0.01 REJECTED hit. Ugh!!!

You're the best! Again, thanks for the info.

Nibbles

Reaction score
Jan, I know this is a silly question, however what does the tampermonkey script help with? I downloaded it on my MacBook, however not sure how to use this with MTurk. I want to read everything and know how everything works before I find another dud hit. ; ).

This is my current status, however am making sure I have a better understanding on reviewing requestors before accepting anymore hits. Also, keeping my fingers crossed that the rest of the pending hits will be approved.

HITs You Have Submitted Value Rate
HITs Submitted 48 —
... Approved 35 97.2%
... Rejected 1 2.8%
... Pending 12 —

jan

Reaction score
Jan, I know this is a silly question, however what does the tampermonkey script help with? I downloaded it on my MacBook, however not sure how to use this with MTurk. I want to read everything and know how everything works before I find another dud hit. ; ).

This is my current status, however am making sure I have a better understanding on reviewing requestors before accepting anymore hits. Also, keeping my fingers crossed that the rest of the pending hits will be approved.

HITs You Have Submitted Value Rate
HITs Submitted 48 —
... Approved 35 97.2%
... Rejected 1 2.8%
... Pending 12 —
You want to download a HIT Database https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/11733-mturk-hit-database-mk-ii/code

as well as this:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mturk-suite/iglbakfobmoijpbigmlfklckogbefnlf?hl=en-US

once you do, look at your earnings page and see what happens.

jan

Reaction score
are those pending hits from the same reject happy requester? If so, you want to do a few more 'safe' ones to get your approval rating up over 98 percent

Nibbles

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll go do these steps now.

I did the hits before adding the program, so have to keep my fingers crossed that they are all from happy requesters, lol. I haven't done anymore hits since the silly reject for a PENNY!!!! Ugh...I had $3.50 hits get approved, then a PENNY rejected hit because I made the answer easier to read with comma after each name. I won't do anymore hits before checking the requester history first. I appreciate that info.

Nibbles

Reaction score
Okay - this is what a see. A longer version of this. Think I need to send a private message to figure out how to properly set this up.

/ ==UserScript==
// Name @Name MTurk HIT Database Mk.II
// @author feihtality
// @namespace https://greasyfork.org/en/users/12709
// @version 1.2.1
// @description Keep track of the HITs you've done (and more!). Cross browser compatible.
// @include /^https://www\.mturk\.com/mturk/(dash|view|sort|find|prev|search|accept|cont|myhits).*/
// @exclude https://www.mturk.com/mturk/findhits?*hit_scraper
// @grant none
// ==/UserScript==

/**\
** This is a complete rewrite of the MTurk HIT Database script from the ground up, which
** eliminates obsolete methods, fixes many bugs, and brings this script up-to-date
** with the modern browser environment.
\**/

/*globals self*/

const DB_VERSION = 8;
const DB_NAME = 'HITDB';
const MTURK_BASE = 'https://www.mturk.com/mturk/';

/*************************** Native code modifications *******************************/
if (!NodeList.prototype[Symbol.iterator]) NodeList.prototype[Symbol.iterator] = Array.prototype[Symbol.iterator];
Number.prototype.toPadded = function(length) { // format leading zeros
'use strict';
length = length || 2;
return ("0000000"+this).substr(-length);
};
Math.decRound = function(v, shi

jan

Reaction score
Okay - this is what a see. A longer version of this. Think I need to send a private message to figure out how to properly set this up.

/ ==UserScript==
// Name @Name MTurk HIT Database Mk.II
// @author feihtality
// @namespace https://greasyfork.org/en/users/12709
// @version 1.2.1
// @description Keep track of the HITs you've done (and more!). Cross browser compatible.
// @include /^https://www\.mturk\.com/mturk/(dash|view|sort|find|prev|search|accept|cont|myhits).*/
// @exclude https://www.mturk.com/mturk/findhits?*hit_scraper
// @grant none
// ==/UserScript==

/**\
** This is a complete rewrite of the MTurk HIT Database script from the ground up, which
** eliminates obsolete methods, fixes many bugs, and brings this script up-to-date
** with the modern browser environment.
\**/

/*globals self*/

const DB_VERSION = 8;
const DB_NAME = 'HITDB';
const MTURK_BASE = 'https://www.mturk.com/mturk/';

/*************************** Native code modifications *******************************/
if (!NodeList.prototype[Symbol.iterator]) NodeList.prototype[Symbol.iterator] = Array.prototype[Symbol.iterator];
Number.prototype.toPadded = function(length) { // format leading zeros
'use strict';
length = length || 2;
return ("0000000"+this).substr(-length);
};
Math.decRound = function(v, shi
Take a look at this thread. You have the code - you just want to add it to Tampermonkey. Does this help?
http://www.mturkcrowd.com/threads/making-basic-scripts.2120/

Achilles2357

Reaction score

Ugh!!!!!
Welcome! I do think it is better to get those rejections up front, right when you're starting. It doesn't matter if it is "your fault" or "their fault". You are going to get some rejections, and no matter whose fault it is, it is best to start figuring out how to minimize them. I doubt if there is ANY experienced turker who doesn't have rejections that are their own fault and rejections that are the fault of the requester, but as you get more experience, you get better at cutting down rejections to an extreme rarity. (Just don't do a ton of hits from one requester until you're sure you know what you're doing...)