Rep Present Help for a newbie requester?

rbs

Requester
Reaction score
Howdy y'all (yep, Texas!),

I need some help with a project and since it's my first time trying MTURK I want to make sure I do things right. I want to make sure instructions are clear and that I pay fairly or a bit above fair.

Here's the issue:
I have a few thousand company annual reports that will either be in PDF or Word format. I need help to identify the letter from the CEO, and then either transcribe or copy/paste it. Some PDFs are easy to copy/paste, others are just images, so it's harder to do. Some of these will take 15 seconds, others a couple of minutes. I can't really control or identify which are which ahead of time. How can I set this up to be both attractive and fair?

Thanks!

Reactions: kryss

GlobalWorkForge

Requester
Reaction score
Perhaps you could break this down into a separate task. First publish a HIT and simply ask "can this document be copy-pasted or is it an image?". Once complete, publish 2 batches of HITs - one at a lower pay rate for the copy-pasta, and the second at a higher rate for transcription.

Respectfully, I'm going to suggest a 1-page letter will take much longer than a couple of minutes to transcribe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaded and kryss

rbs

Requester
Reaction score
Perhaps you could break this down into a separate task. First publish a HIT and simply ask "can this document be copy-pasted or is it an image?". Once complete, publish 2 batches of HITs - one at a lower pay rate for the copy-pasta, and the second at a higher rate for transcription.

Respectfully, I'm going to suggest a 1-page letter will take much longer than a couple of minutes to transcribe.
Thanks. Could you tell me what a fair price range might be just for the copy/paste?

jan

Reaction score
Thanks. Could you tell me what a fair price range might be just for the copy/paste?
I'm sorry no one got to this before now, but if you still want to know - you really have to do a time analysis. You could do some yourself and see how long it takes. Your goal is a fair hourly wage. HTH

Reactions: Turkster

GlobalWorkForge

Requester
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't get an alert and didn't see your message.

What Jan said. Decide how much you would pay as an hourly rate. Test how long it takes to find and copy-pasta the data, then prorate that to the effective hourly rate.