Hello mates, new here

Fresh

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I signed up for mturk years ago but just recently started working on it. I've yet to finish my first 1000 so I'm limited to 100 a day. I did a lot of reading so far and am aware that for the first 1000 or so you should stick with easier ones with probably lower payout that have a high acceptance rate from the requester. I'm totally fine with making hardly any money to start out, I just want to make sure I'm doing quality work that gets approved, even if they take longer to complete.

I got mturk suite which gives a lot of information to me which I'm still learning how to work. It seems like it's quite difficult so far to grab hits that have high approval ratings that are pretty simple. I've read about some auto-accept scripts and such but not sure if I want to attempt to use any of them just yet, as I don't want to accept ones automatically that I might screw up if I used the wrong settings, etc. Any quick advice for a newbie to quickly get his first 1,000 approvals without (hopefully) any rejections? I've got 87 pending and 40 or so approvals at the moment. (Most approvals are from 2017 though as I only started yesterday actually working on mturk after reading for a week or so.)

Also, should I do any of the survey ones to start or should I stick to just simple ones for the time being? I've heard it's good to complete a bunch of different types as it might get you qualified for others, but I'm not sure if I should be doing that or just focusing on simple and easy with good approvals. (Always be qualifying!? lol)

Thanks for reading and for letting me be part of the community, you guys and gals seem to be a nice, and this seems like a great place to learn and chat.

Reactions: savvy

scrmcasey

Skynet Aide
Gamemaster
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Welcome! There aren't many batches coming through lately, it's been a bit of a slow start to the month imo. I'd definitely do surveys that you find worth your time. You have Mturk Suite, so you'll be good to go as far as determining what is underpaid or reject happy. And you are right - Always Be Qualling! It can never hurt to have too many quals.

Fresh

Reaction score
Welcome! There aren't many batches coming through lately, it's been a bit of a slow start to the month imo. I'd definitely do surveys that you find worth your time. You have Mturk Suite, so you'll be good to go as far as determining what is underpaid or reject happy. And you are right - Always Be Qualling! It can never hurt to have too many quals.
Thanks for the reply, I'm happy to be here! :)

Yeah I was wondering as sometimes the icons show up as yellow or red on the left side but when I scroll over some of them it says >99% approval rating, which I don't quite understand. I've done quite a few surveys now actually, they take longer but are usually pretty easy to grab so that's a plus.

I'm being really careful filling out hits but still am wary about lower approval rating requesters. Is there a number that I should be comfortable taking hits from? (Like say 98% approval rating would be okay?) I've pretty much only been taking over 99%'s, but I'm aware that there are probably some turkers that rush over the instructions/just plain do the hits incorrectly, so I would assume a few rejections would be normal?

I wouldn't mind if a requester rejects wrong answers but I just don't want to do one correctly and have it get rejected. lol

I also haven't been taking any requests from brand new people, just to be on the safe side. I'm up to 84/100 today so I'm nearing my 100 for the day. It seems to be pretty hard to get any so far but I'm hoping more hits open up once I reach 500-1000 approvals with a good rating.

Yesterday I logged in around 6am EST and found a bunch of easy ones, so perhaps it's just harder later in the day once more turkers get online and working.

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: scrmcasey