Rep Present GlobalWorkForge - Create unique content (NEWS)

Not A Robot

VERIFIED HUMAN
Contributor
Reaction score
GlobalWorkForge @GlobalWorkForge

So, today there was some confusion in the Daily Thread about whether or not people could use the same site more than once to post news. Some people were doing upwards of 250 hits and I just don't understand how that many could be separate news sources with a substantial following.

I messaged GBF and their response was to only use one site per hit per batch, but obviously people would rather hear that from the requester themselves. I just want to make sure I am doing this right and I am sure other people would like to avoid rejections or disqualifications

If we could clear this up I'm sure everyone can breathe a sigh of relief. Thanks for your time!

Reactions: GlobalWorkForge

GlobalWorkForge

Requester
Reaction score
Okay, here's the scoop. I need as much variety as possible. When I have 100 workers all use www.nbcnews.com/, I already have 100 nbc news. If everyone uses that twice, now I have 200.

I understand that it is very difficult to avoid using the same site more than once, especially when completing large volumes. So I've been asking people to try and not use the same site per batch. Still, people use the same site multiple times. So far, it has not been an issue (with a few exceptions). There were 3 or 4 workers who were submitting the same site too many times - they were messaged about it.

I realize my rule cannot be complied with and still complete a large volume of HITs. So, let's try the following guidelines:

1) Use as much variety as possible with the links
2) Try not to use the same website more than once per batch.
3) If you do use the same website more than once (of course it could easily happen inadvertently) don't worry about it.
4) If you are using the same website too many times, I will let you know.
5) If you use the same website for every HIT, I will probably revoke the qual.

Hope this helps. I want to just say, please use as much variety as possible. So far things have been fine, keep up the good work!

Here are some things workers have done that I don't accept:

1. Copy-pasting straight from the article/website.
2. Fluffing the word count by starting/ending every post with the same thing (i.e. Hey did you hear that... or ...blah blah check out this link now!) Variety is key!
3. Some workers refer directly to the article in every post (I blame the instructions - so I just send a message). For example, "Check out this article from Glamour about...", or "blah blah says this article from Glamour".

Here are some things to know:

I am not too worried about the content of the post. As long as it relates to the topic, is not plagiarized and is unique (like you haven't written the same thing multiple times/ways) it will be accepted.

I no longer require no line breaks. I tried to ask workers not to include line breaks, but could not get compliance. Since I have to deal with it anyway, don't worry about it if you want to include blank lines between the post and the URL.

Thanks everyone for your great work on these HITs!

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
If you are using Google News, the best way to find varying sources is to click on the arrow at the top right of the story, which will show different sites sharing similar stories. The more you click on the sites that aren't just HuffPo/NPR/CNN/Time/LAandNYT/WaPo, the more the smaller, local sites will show up.

Many of the bigger sites have a limit on how many articles you can read in a month, as well, so this is another way around that.

alboelive

Reaction score
Hi, I've been wanting to complete these HITs since I joined. I'm a journalist by trade and feel that I'd be very good at these. Is there any way a qualification test could be opened for me?

Not A Robot

VERIFIED HUMAN
Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, here's the scoop. I need as much variety as possible. When I have 100 workers all use www.nbcnews.com/, I already have 100 nbc news. If everyone uses that twice, now I have 200.

I understand that it is very difficult to avoid using the same site more than once, especially when completing large volumes. So I've been asking people to try and not use the same site per batch. Still, people use the same site multiple times. So far, it has not been an issue (with a few exceptions). There were 3 or 4 workers who were submitting the same site too many times - they were messaged about it.

I realize my rule cannot be complied with and still complete a large volume of HITs. So, let's try the following guidelines:

1) Use as much variety as possible with the links
2) Try not to use the same website more than once per batch.
3) If you do use the same website more than once (of course it could easily happen inadvertently) don't worry about it.
4) If you are using the same website too many times, I will let you know.
5) If you use the same website for every HIT, I will probably revoke the qual.

Hope this helps. I want to just say, please use as much variety as possible. So far things have been fine, keep up the good work!

Here are some things workers have done that I don't accept:

1. Copy-pasting straight from the article/website.
2. Fluffing the word count by starting/ending every post with the same thing (i.e. Hey did you hear that... or ...blah blah check out this link now!) Variety is key!
3. Some workers refer directly to the article in every post (I blame the instructions - so I just send a message). For example, "Check out this article from Glamour about...", or "blah blah says this article from Glamour".

Here are some things to know:

I am not too worried about the content of the post. As long as it relates to the topic, is not plagiarized and is unique (like you haven't written the same thing multiple times/ways) it will be accepted.

I no longer require no line breaks. I tried to ask workers not to include line breaks, but could not get compliance. Since I have to deal with it anyway, don't worry about it if you want to include blank lines between the post and the URL.

Thanks everyone for your great work on these HITs!
Thank you very much for taking the time to give such a thorough explanation of what you want. That was very helpful.

Reactions: GlobalWorkForge

MrTrentSD

Alive and Kicking
Contributor
Reaction score
I know the stories have to be relevant, buts there a limit on how may day ago the article was posted to the linking site. Is 5-7 days "too old" or can they be slightly older.