Frugal, cheapskate, Broke af, tips thread.

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
There used to be one of these on mtg and I liked it so I'm making one here.

Tip #1: Don't smoke cigarettes, if you do, quit or switch to an e-cig.

Tip #2: Stop eating out so damn much.

Tip #3: I'm a 'cord cutter' (idk if I count since I never had cable in the first place.) Amazon prime, hulu, and netflix cover my t.v. needs. Steal a family members HBOGo/HBONow information to watch Game of Thrones.

Tip #4: I am an extreme couponer. If you have any questions I can answer them about coupons. If you want to learn how to coupon here's a great primer http://thekrazycouponlady.com/beginners/

Tip #5: Cell phones, I work from home, like most of you, so I don't really need a data plan, since I'm mostly connected to wifi. I found out about Ting a couple years ago and fell in love. My bill is usually around $25/month. But one thing I cannot stress enough is that Ting is NOT FOR EVERYONE. If you're a heavy data user/addicted to pokemon go you probably shouldn't use ting. Here's a referral so we can both get some monies off our bills, but you don't have to use it. https://zsc4s437oa8.ting.com/ and the reg link for a usage calculator https://ting.com/usage_calculator. They use the sprint towers so if you don't get good sprint service I wouldn't use this either.

Put all your ideas down here. Thanks!

thedorchannel

Contributor
Reaction score
you can donate plasma every 2-3 days and get anywhere from 20-40 bucks (might be more because I havent done it in years)

Reactions: Tigerpants

thedorchannel

Contributor
Reaction score
Shop at walmart because everything at walmart is cheaper than all those other evil grocery stores. Plus something interesting/crazy might happen and its cheaper than going to the movies.

-speaking of going to the movies, go when u have an afternoon off. Its a WHOLE lot cheaper than going at night. I paid 6.00 to see the jungle book at 5pm. would have been 11.25 otherwise.

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
Shop at walmart because everything at walmart is cheaper than all those other evil grocery stores. Plus something interesting/crazy might happen and its cheaper than going to the movies.

-speaking of going to the movies, go when u have an afternoon off. Its a WHOLE lot cheaper than going at night. I paid 6.00 to see the jungle book at 5pm. would have been 11.25 otherwise.
Walmart also price matches with other grocery stores, Check your junk mail on wed for the store ads.
Target will price match with amazon too, just have the item up on your phone and take it to the customer service counter.

Reactions: kryss

thedorchannel

Contributor
Reaction score
If u like pizza, sign up for Dominos Pizza email list. They frequently send you coupons and deals where u get 50 percent off an order.

thedorchannel

Contributor
Reaction score
Taco Bell's 1.00 beef frito burrito is big as fuck for a dollar.

Reactions: waffles

LilDevil

(✿◠‿◠)
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh we are good at this one, we live on very little, and somehow, I do not know how, we have managed. Long, so I'll stick a spoiler on it:

Gonna leave it at that, though I could probably write a book on this. Hopefully my random ideas help someone :)

bxpretzel

Ari Gold
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
follow reddit.com/r/frugal and /r/freebies. also /r/BIFL for "buy it for life" stuff. frugality ≠ cheap

TQueen

Southern Sweetness
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I'm a meal planner, couponer, and sales watcher. I feed 3 people each week 21 meals for less than $100/week. This also includes extras such as laundry detergent, dish washing detergent, baby/toddler needs, toiletries, etc.

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a meal planner, couponer, and sales watcher. I feed 3 people each week 21 meals for less than $100/week. This also includes extras such as laundry detergent, dish washing detergent, baby/toddler needs, toiletries, etc.
Yes! I do all of this as well. But with no baby/toddler.

It doesn't make sense to me not to! The couponing is iffy, people can take it to whatever level they think their time is worth but when you can print them for free I say why not!
http://www.smartsource.com/smartsource2/static_content/app/start.html#/
https://www.coupons.com/ (do some combing, there's a lot of junky coupons but around 50% are the same as the ones you pay for in the Sunday paper)

Reactions: TQueen

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
Download gasbuddy (http://www.gasbuddy.com/) you have to sign up but I love it. you open it up and it tells you what the prices are for what's nearby, or you can search for farther away to compare prices and decide if you should drive farther for the price.

particularly useful on long road trips, but I use it every time I have to buy gas.

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
OH
Yes! I do all of this as well. But with no baby/toddler.

It doesn't make sense to me not to! The couponing is iffy, people can take it to whatever level they think their time is worth but when you can print them for free I say why not!
http://www.smartsource.com/smartsource2/static_content/app/start.html#/
https://www.coupons.com/ (do some combing, there's a lot of junky coupons but around 50% are the same as the ones you pay for in the Sunday paper)
OH YES. #1 rule of couponing is don't buy something just because you have a coupon. use coupons on things you would buy anyway, whether you need them or not.

Reactions: JenniLeigh

Yatagarasu

all up in the videos, all on the records, dancin'
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
OH

OH YES. #1 rule of couponing is don't buy something just because you have a coupon. use coupons on things you would buy anyway, whether you need them or not.
This is mostly why I don't coupon the large majority of the time. Most coupons are for things I never buy and never would. Coupons on things like diapers and paper products are useful though.

YAHU

YAHUUUUUUU
Contributor
Reaction score
remember that sales don't mean you're saving money-- youre still spending it

also, amazon fuzzes their prices daily, so things like camelcamelcamel.com help you price track things for free

....also also, you can use a service or do this yourself, but when prices drop like a week later on an item you just bought for whatever reason (sometimes minus sales) you can usually get the different refunded somehow

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
Dollar stores sell a cleaning product that is literally called AWESOME, for like a 1$, and its the best stuff I have ever used. No bleach either, and you can use it on EVERYTHING (hard surfaces or soft, carpets, floors etc.). Stuff is magic.
Can concur, this shit is beautiful!

JenniLeigh

Batch Betta Have My Money
Contributor
Reaction score
- INVEST in things that will make your life easier (more time to turk!) plus help you save money...
like crockpots (and those big roasters!), not-shitty hair clippers (and scissors if you have the skill or training...), quality kitchen appliances for food prep. (As soon as I replace my blender, we're going back to making the little one's almond milk...) home office shit.
- Meal plan and food prep. ESPECIALLY if you're turkfitting...
- Don't cut "entertainment" to save money- you & your family need that outlet. (Netflix & what not...) my therapist taught me that...
- Have a couponing plan that works for you/your needs/your area. (My rural newspaper doesn't get inserts! And we have to plan very well our trips into the city to utilize our coupons best...etc... and storage space for stockpiling. - know what you NEED to stockpile, and what you can just enjoy a good deal on...) For me, this includes having a local couponing buddy. We keep an eye on shit for each other, give each other extras/find coupons we know the other needs/etc. (it's my bestie- so we know our needs pretty well lol) I'm still trying to hunt down a way to get our hand on inserts LOL

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
- INVEST in things that will make your life easier (more time to turk!) plus help you save money...
like crockpots (and those big roasters!), not-shitty hair clippers (and scissors if you have the skill or training...), quality kitchen appliances for food prep. (As soon as I replace my blender, we're going back to making the little one's almond milk...) home office shit.
- Meal plan and food prep. ESPECIALLY if you're turkfitting...
- Don't cut "entertainment" to save money- you & your family need that outlet. (Netflix & what not...) my therapist taught me that...
- Have a couponing plan that works for you/your needs/your area. (My rural newspaper doesn't get inserts! And we have to plan very well our trips into the city to utilize our coupons best...etc... and storage space for stockpiling. - know what you NEED to stockpile, and what you can just enjoy a good deal on...) For me, this includes having a local couponing buddy. We keep an eye on shit for each other, give each other extras/find coupons we know the other needs/etc. (it's my bestie- so we know our needs pretty well lol) I'm still trying to hunt down a way to get our hand on inserts LOL
You can buy inserts online, I've seen them in a few places... but I've never done that personally.

Reactions: JenniLeigh