Forum Features Guide

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Forum Features Guide

This is a quick reference guide for some of the features that we offer here on MTurk Crowd. My plan is to eventually add some simple posting, bbcode, forum search, etc guides here as well. If you'd like to help out with that, let me know.

If you have any questions about how a certain feature works, feel free to ask here. If you have any requests for new features, please post them in the Forum issues/feature requests thread.

And for additional features, check out Kadauchi @Kadauchi's MTC Forum Enhancement.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Basic Forum Features For All Members

Tagging: You can tag other members in any thread by typing @ and their name (a clickable dropdown box will appear after you start typing, which will autocomplete the name for you.) Not only does this create a nice little clickable link to their profile page, it also alerts them that they've been tagged. For example: electrolyte @electrolyte

You can also choose to be notified by email every time you're tagged. Just go to your Contact Details and check the box that says 'Receive email when name is mentioned,' under your Messaging Preferences.

Turning off avatars/images: If you don't want to see any avatars or images in posts, they can easily be turned off in your Preferences. Just click your name at the top of the page and go to Preferences. Scroll down to the NSFW Options and there will be check boxes to hide avatars, smilies, IMG tags, and attachment thumbnails. You'll need to either add a machine name or select 'All the time' for Machine Detection Mechanism, otherwise it won't work.

Themes: MTurk Crowd offers several different forum theme styles, so if you're not happy with the default look, you can change it. All members have access to the three basic themes (Scratch, Delta Dark, and Baisik.) Contributors and Crowd Pleaser award winners also have access to two additional themes (Quark and Antiquark.) You can change your theme by finding the theme name in the bottom left corner of any forum page and clicking on it, which will bring up a list of the themes that are available to you. It can also be changed in your Preferences.

Sticky Navigation and User Bars: Four of the five themes on MTurk Crowd use sticky Navigation and User bars. Those are the two bars that hang around at the top of the page when you scroll down. If you decide that you don't want to see them at all times, you can disable them in your Preferences by unchecking 'Enable Sticky Navigation' and 'Enable Sticky Userbar' under Style Options. Please note that this doesn't seem to work on the Delta Dark theme, but it should work fine on the Scratch, Quark, and Antiquark themes.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Additional Features For Contributors and Crowd Pleaser Winners

Live Update: Live update can be turned on/off by scrolling to the top of the thread and clicking Thread Tools. In the Thread Tools, there will be two boxes: Live Update and Post Jump. When Live Update is checked, the thread will automatically display new posts as they're posted. When Post Jump is checked, it will automatically jump to the newest post each time one pops up.

Username/Title Colors: Contributing members and Crowd Pleaser award winners can change the color of their user names and titles. You can do this by enabling User Name/Title Font Effects in your Preferences. All we ask is that you please be mindful of the colors that you're choosing. We have many different themes on MTC, with both light and dark backgrounds, so please try to choose colors that show up well on all themes.

Bookmarks: Do you find yourself often having to go back to a certain post or thread? Bookmark it! At the bottom of every post, next to the Report button, there's a Bookmark button. Clicking that will bring up a window with several different options for how you would like to store your bookmarked post. You can add a note about the post's content or a tag to help keep your bookmarks organized. You can also add Quick Links which will show up in the Bookmarks dropdown list on the navigation bar at the top of the forum.

Keyword Alerts: With Keyword Alerts you can be notified by email whenever certain keywords are mentioned on the forum. You can create sets of keywords to watch for and set it to watch specific areas of the forum. Alert emails can be sent out immediately or once every day/week/month/etc. To get to your Keyword Alerts, just click your name at the top of the screen and go to Keyword Alert in the dropdown menu.

clickhappier

┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Subforum Curator
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Related thread I posted a while ago: Posting Images and Videos

Sticky Navigation and User Bars: Four of the five themes on MTurk Crowd use sticky Navigation and User bars. Those are the two bars that hang around at the top of the page when you scroll down. If you decide that you don't want to see them at all times, you can disable them in your Preferences by unchecking 'Enable Sticky Navigation' and 'Enable Sticky Userbar' under Style Options.
And when you view the forum on a small screen/window, the sticky top bars will automatically stop being sticky until you go back to a larger screen/window, without you having to change those settings. :)

Nytmair

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi- I was just wondering is there's a reason that Live Update is restricted to only those "elite" folks. I really was looking for a way to make it auto-update as the daily thread moves so quickly and refreshing/finding the last post/etc is a pain.

MrTrentSD

Alive and Kicking
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi- I was just wondering is there's a reason that Live Update is restricted to only those "elite" folks. I really was looking for a way to make it auto-update as the daily thread moves so quickly and refreshing/finding the last post/etc is a pain.
You can try a tab reloader extension but I don't think that will advance the page once the limit is reached.

MerryLou

unpalatable
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
It's a donation feature! I think the minimum is $5? Donating gives you lots of useful features, you can check it out in the link at the top :wink:

Nytmair

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies folks! I'll most likely plan on donating from my Turking funds once I start making a little bit as this forum has def been valuable in the 2 days I've been learning.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
The main reason is because this forum depends on donations and we want people to feel like they're getting something in return for their donations. While the other donation perks are fun/helpful, I don't think any of them offer as much value as Live Update. It's really the best way that we have to get people to pitch in a few dollars to keep the site running. And, as MerryLou @MerryLou said, we only ask for $5, so it's hopefully not too much of a problem for people.

Serial Mom

I’m smiling…that alone should scare you.
Contributor
Reaction score
Is there still an ongoing issue with changing the avatars? I waited about a month, just tried again and cannot get it changed. I'm receiving the error: A server error occurred. Please try again later.

Schwifty

Turk'ing Newbie
Reaction score
What about adding in a "currency" or "credit" for just the forum? Just small points members earn with various tasks such as posting, creating threads, etc. Then just have a small little "shop" where members can buy something like special permissions, custom user bars, donator status, etc.
Also, maybe a Discord server? It'd so nice to be able to chat on the go and it's just easier in general IMO.