Former Medical Student

Alyssa Snider

Reaction score
I began medical school as a single mother with a 1-year-old. Our closest relatives and friends were 600 miles away. For the next 3.5 years, I poured my blood, sweat, and tears into my child and my career. I was hospitalized on two different occasions for sleep-deprivation psychosis. As graduation got closer and closer, I was finally starting to feel like I had this. I was so proud of myself for being a great role model for my daughter. I felt like I made it.

In December 2017, with just 6 months left to graduate from medical school and receive an MD, the school dismissed me for unprofessionalism. Apparently I pissed off an attending surgeon and that's all it took for my lifelong dream to go swirling down the drain. I now have $250K in student loan debt without the MD degree. If it sounds like I'm still bitter about this, it's because I am.

That's what led me to look for work-from-home jobs. I don't remember exactly how I found MTurk, but I do remember I was hooked from the very beginning. I hope to meet, talk, and work with all of you amazing, resourceful, intelligent human beings... just don't ask me to take a look at your mole.

Let the new journey begin!

-Alyssa

jan

Reaction score
I began medical school as a single mother with a 1-year-old. Our closest relatives and friends were 600 miles away. For the next 3.5 years, I poured my blood, sweat, and tears into my child and my career. I was hospitalized on two different occasions for sleep-deprivation psychosis. As graduation got closer and closer, I was finally starting to feel like I had this. I was so proud of myself for being a great role model for my daughter. I felt like I made it.

In December 2017, with just 6 months left to graduate from medical school and receive an MD, the school dismissed me for unprofessionalism. Apparently I pissed off an attending surgeon and that's all it took for my lifelong dream to go swirling down the drain. I now have $250K in student loan debt without the MD degree. If it sounds like I'm still bitter about this, it's because I am.

That's what led me to look for work-from-home jobs. I don't remember exactly how I found MTurk, but I do remember I was hooked from the very beginning. I hope to meet, talk, and work with all of you amazing, resourceful, intelligent human beings... just don't ask me to take a look at your mole.

Let the new journey begin!

-Alyssa
wow. that sounds awful. You can't apply to another school??

I wonder, too, if it's possible for you to just get an RN (and work to become a PA). You already have what it takes (should be ezpz)?
I know it's not what you intended, but salary-wise, it might be okay?

Reactions: Alyssa Snider

Alyssa Snider

Reaction score
wow. that sounds awful. You can't apply to another school??

I wonder, too, if it's possible for you to just get an RN (and work to become a PA). You already have what it takes (should be ezpz)?
I know it's not what you intended, but salary-wise, it might be okay?
If I had been dismissed for academic reasons, then I might have had a fighting chance in gaining admission at another school, but if a student is dismissed for behavioral reasons, the other schools won't touch the student with a 10-foot pole. As for RN, I was 6 months into nursing school when I applied to medical school. I just didn't feel challenged enough in nursing. In hindsight, I should have chosen nursing.

Fortunately, (this is a little known fact) students in my situation have 10+ different ways to either greatly reduce loan debt, or have the entire amount forgiven completely. So, I am not too worried about my long-term financial situation.

Thank you for asking :) As you can imagine, I don't talk to many of my family and friends about it. It's too heavy.

Reactions: jan