Covid-19

jan

Reaction score
call your own doctor if you are sick (obviously), but Dr. Campbell is reporting on evidence that is accumulating about Covid-19 treatments and a recommendation that comes from the French Health Minister re: not taking anti-inflammatories if you have a fever

jan

Reaction score
Last edited:

Despairagus

Jorf Beeboos 👋🐎🐎
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
CDC denies they will recommend all Americans wear protective masks in everyday life: report

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/cdc-to-recommend-all-americans-wear-protective-masks-in-everyday-life-report/

I just got my masks from etsy (totally cute, too!)
I'll be wearing it for the reasons outlined in the video.
Though imperfect, they protect others - if I were sick. Plus, they offer some protection to me. AND (big and) I won't touch my face when I'm out. This is a big source of transmission.
Yeah well I'm def going to wear mine when I'm done making it and when I'm out.

ALSO last Wed when we went shopping, something like 25% of the people we saw had masks on, some with gloves too. Our cases have risen by the thousands since so the next time we go out (hopefully not till next Wed) we will see more but we will 10000% be wearing masks/gloves/glasses.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: jan

savvy

goin' down to the yee-haw
Reaction score
fucking masks make me touch my face more. i feel like i am suffocating when I wear them. Guess i can never leave my house again

• Sad
Reactions: Despairagus

Despairagus

Jorf Beeboos 👋🐎🐎
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
fucking masks make me touch my face more. i feel like i am suffocating when I wear them. Guess i can never leave my house again
That's my plan! (But I'm still making us masks for when we are forced to venture out)

4ourfuture

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure how difficult it is for any of ya'll to get groceries, but this is a friendly reminder to stock up (not hoard) pet food as well. I took being able to order our dogs' food for advantage. I went to order more yesterday to find out most stores had limited stock or were out all together. Luckily Petco still had some available online so I ordered two bags. The order was 35% off and with free shipping so that was extremely helpful and relieving.
We're running low on hand sanitizer. Does anyone know of anywhere to get any? I can't find the smallest bit anywhere. My husband is an "essential worker" so has to keep immersing himself into potential infectious places and his company isn't providing them with any PPE.

Hope everyone is hanging in there alright. 💙

• Love
Reactions: savvy

savvy

goin' down to the yee-haw
Reaction score
I'm not sure how difficult it is for any of ya'll to get groceries, but this is a friendly reminder to stock up (not hoard) pet food as well. I took being able to order our dogs' food for advantage. I went to order more yesterday to find out most stores had limited stock or were out all together. Luckily Petco still had some available online so I ordered two bags. The order was 35% off and with free shipping so that was extremely helpful and relieving.
We're running low on hand sanitizer. Does anyone know of anywhere to get any? I can't find the smallest bit anywhere. My husband is an "essential worker" so has to keep immersing himself into potential infectious places and his company isn't providing them with any PPE.

Hope everyone is hanging in there alright. 💙
I ordered online three months of my dogs food, and i keep buying about 20 days of cat food at a time. I think we have three months of horse food/hay as well. for a while, they were going to eat better than me because i couldn't find anything for myself lol

jan

Reaction score

JCIII

Reaction score
Since I live in California I happened to see these were last weeks stats on cause of death in my state for just the one week.

Heart Disease 1,202
Cancer 1,130
COVID-19 (Last Week) 332
Stroke 310
Alzheimer's Disease 308
Chronic lower respiratory diseases 279
Accidents 257
Diabetes 177
Influenza and Pneumonia 122
Hypertension 103
Chronic Liver Disease/Cirrhosis 102

DCI

Reaction score
Since I live in California I happened to see these were last weeks stats on cause of death in my state for just the one week.

Heart Disease 1,202
Cancer 1,130
COVID-19 (Last Week) 332
Stroke 310
Alzheimer's Disease 308
Chronic lower respiratory diseases 279
Accidents 257
Diabetes 177
Influenza and Pneumonia 122
Hypertension 103
Chronic Liver Disease/Cirrhosis 102
COVID-19 is the only thing on that list that's a threat to increase at an exponential rate though. If we just did nothing, we'd probably lose at least a couple million Americans to it this year. Taking action to make sure that the spread of the virus is limited clearly makes a big difference in terms of lives lost.

We do also spend a ton of resources to reduce other common causes of death, but we don't really have many options for this particular problem.

jan

Reaction score
My county has a interesting web page breaking down some stats. Interesting that the latest narrative black people being more prone to COVID-19 does not hold true at all in my area. To me it seems is not a genetic thing but a social situation. I wonder how this holds in different area's?

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/a33a1c52e7fe4252bc1f81e44d725fd1
I've been following this closely (out of interest). Most people think it has to do with institutional racism and though I'm inclined to agree - there are other confounds that might engage with this model. (Thus one reason I've been watching).

I even googled mortality by race in Florida (to see how one potential confound might test that hypothesis). Initial data suggested that race was not statistically significant - and then later data suggested it might be. What a difference a week makes??

Although many people will opine about this - lots of editorials with lots of opinions

from a research perspective - the data is too much noise at this point. We don't even have good death statistics (many people are dying at home, for example). Data is skewed towards the elderly in care homes (in some states). And even if all those things were done well - you can't get GOOD data at the beginning or even the middle of this episode. It will HAVE to be retrospective. It's just poor data at this point.

To be clear, I fully support Governor's who are taking immediate action (sending in more resources to hospitals that have reported these differences - and tons more outreach. I DO support talking about this RIGHT NOW. And I DO support action. There are some pretty big numbers - worthy of attention (and action!).

I just don't support narratives built on incomplete data. Inferences? Yes. Action - YES! People are dying.

Last edited:

LowCalCalzone

Legalize Ranch
Contributor
Reaction score
Just in case you needed a reason to be angry this morning

• Sad
Reactions: jan

jan

Reaction score
I have been following the correlation with asthma very carefully. I have also NOT seen much that suggests that asthma was a particularly dangerous co-morbidity. So, this is reassuring.

Asthma Is Absent Among Top Covid-19 Risk Factors, Early Data Shows
Despite warnings that asthmatics were at higher risk for severe illness from the coronavirus, asthma is showing up in only about five percent of New York State’s fatal Covid cases.

“We’re not seeing a lot of patients with asthma,” said Dr. Bushra Mina, a pulmonary and critical care physician at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, which has treated more than 800 Covid cases. The more common risk factors, he added, are “morbid obesity, diabetes and chronic heart disease.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/health/coronavirus-asthma-risk.html?action=click&module=moreIn&pgtype=Article&region=Footer

• Love
Reactions: LowCalCalzone