Press/Studies Cornell uses mTurk to build sarcasm detector. (Jan 2016)

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
An online sarcasm detector

Researchers have developed a program called TrueRatr that screens app reviews for signs of sarcasm in a bid to make ratings more accurate. Its makers claim the site can detect even the most subtle sarcastic comments to help users 'get insights on ratings, to get the best and worst review' before downloading the app.

To build the app, students at Cornell crowdsourced thousands of reviews through Amazon's Mechanical Turk service as part of their three-month project.

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
Huh. If these were those "Detect Sarcasm" hits from Subjective Language Lab, then I've done a crap ton of them.

clickhappier

┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Subforum Curator
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Huh. If these were those "Detect Sarcasm" hits from Subjective Language Lab, then I've done a crap ton of them.
If you're talking about this requester, I think they're probably different (there's often multiple similar-but-unrelated research projects in popular topic areas simultaneously). turkopticon : reviews about SubjectiveLanguageIncorporated (fka nlds.soe.ucsc.edu, which is UC Santa Cruz).

Reactions: kryss

Bluedogan

Reaction score
An online sarcasm detector

Researchers have developed a program called TrueRatr that screens app reviews for signs of sarcasm in a bid to make ratings more accurate. Its makers claim the site can detect even the most subtle sarcastic comments to help users 'get insights on ratings, to get the best and worst review' before downloading the app.

To build the app, students at Cornell crowdsourced thousands of reviews through Amazon's Mechanical Turk service as part of their three-month project.
I think those ones asking about Amazon products in Januaty were from Cornell. The ones where it asked if there was a ton of white space on the company page and crap like that?