Controversial HITs

hyway

Contributor
Reaction score
Not because I expect the cops to show up on my door step, but just in the same vein that we don't allow people to post torrenting sites.
Ha, I am on the internet ain't no cops no where I live.

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
20 bucks says Amazon tells you that the best way to handle scam requesters is to clear your cache.
Yeah, basically. Here's what they told me:

Thank you for reaching out to us. I apologize for the concern this may have caused. I want to assure you that we take all claims of misuse of our services seriously and investigate each one. We will certainly investigate this Requester and take appropriate action as needed.

Any time you see a HIT that violates Amazon Mechanical Turk policies (https://www.mturk.com/mturk/help?helpPage=policies) or the HIT isn't displaying or working properly, please report that to us.

To report a problem with a HIT, go to the HIT and scroll down to the bottom of the page. Then click "Violates the Amazon Mechanical Turk policies" or "Broken" as appropriate. We recommend using these links prior to contacting us directly, as they ensure the report of the inappropriate HIT is forwarded to the appropriate department the fastest for review.

I hope this helps.
Thank you for your inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

Best regards,
Cherise F.
Amazon Mechanical Turk

Reactions: Tribune

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
Gotta love them form letters.

I've found that if I actually say "Please do not send me a form letter" when I write in, I get a non-generic response... not a HELPFUL one, mind you. But it does generally lead to a person sitting down and typing out a sentence or two of dirty, dirty lies.

Reactions: Tribune

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
The MTC staff has been discussing this since Monday. We reached out to amazon, but have not heard anything back. Before Monday we had not been privy to any information regarding these HITs other than people saying they were scams without having anything tangible. After doing a bit of research we've decided to disallow posting these HITs on the forum on moral grounds, based on what we've found. There was enough evidence to lead us to believe there is a high probability of some type of fraud taking place. Please note, we're not disallowing them due to an Amazon TOS violation.

All of the following emails are from different requesters that have posted these HITs.

Earlier emails from February.

Emails the mods here have received in the last few days.

If you wish to discuss this, please keep it contained to this thread. If someone posts a HIT, simply report the post. Any and all discussions pertaining to these HITs posted in the daily thread will be moved here.

Last edited:

jan

Reaction score
I find it interesting that someone responded when an mturk worker emailed. If someone sent an email to me saying that there was work under my name at mturk (assuming that I'd never heard of mturk :wink:, I would never send an email back. I'd probably just throw out the email.

If I thought the site was legitimate and I was really worried, I MIGHT send an email to the site and ask them to look into what is happening.

But an email back to an individual? Never. I'd think that someone was fishing for information about me or my email.

In any case, I guess the ball is now in Amazon's court. So, we'll see what happens :).

Reactions: electrolyte

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
I find it interesting that someone responded when an mturk worker emailed. If someone sent an email to me saying that there was work under my name at mturk (assuming that I'd never heard of mturk :wink:, I would never send an email back. I'd probably just throw out the email.

If I thought the site was legitimate and I was really worried, I MIGHT send an email to the site and ask them to look into what is happening.

But an email back to an individual? Never. I'd think that someone was fishing for information about me or my email.

In any case, I guess the ball is now in Amazon's court. So, we'll see what happens :).
I've been thinking about it and I know that I wouldn't have responded, either. I'd think it was from that Nigerian prince we've all been avoiding helping for the last 20 years. The fact that someone IS naive enough to respond, though, lends some credence to me that none of this is aboveboard.

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score

My thought process on that is that they don't really know we're just turkers, or peons or whatever. The email gives us ID's and everything, they may think we're "official" workers. Like some type of rep from the "Amazon Mechanical Turk Department" (Which is how the footer reads)

Reactions: electrolyte and jan

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
All of the responses seemed to think that the workers were in a position to fix the problem. I assume they thought they were responding to actual Amazon employees, as opposed to random freelance grunts.

That one guy even blamed the worker for it, like he thought the worker was the one who had caused the problem.

jan

Reaction score
My thought process on that is that they don't really know we're just turkers, or peons or whatever. The email gives us ID's and everything, they may think we're "official" workers. Like some type of rep from the "Amazon Mechanical Turk Department" (Which is how the footer reads)
You might be right. But I have an email account attached to an internet provider - and I got a very official email from them about my account. I did a triple take. But I still didn't respond directly - I went on their forum page and investigated - and saw that it was a scam.

One thing that might support the theory that the email respondents are all part of the 'scam' is that they all responded the same way. If they were interested enough to email back, you'd think they would want to explore what was being said and ask for more information.

But............:shrug:.
Amazon needs to track this - it should be easy for them...............

Tuesday

Banned
Banned
Contributor
Reaction score
I think that is the right thing to do. Shit, I'm sorry, for pretending to have any kind of opinion about things that you guys have been dealing with for a long time. I just don't think it's worth the risk. There are other ways to make money on Mturk.

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, basically. Here's what they told me:

want to assure you that we take all claims of misuse of our services seriously and investigate each one.
If they wanted us to believe this, they should give us the opportunity to explain why/how it violates ToS.

Reactions: Jaded

TSolo315

SnapNCrackle
Administrator
Reaction score
You might be right. But I have an email account attached to an internet provider - and I got a very official email from them about my account. I did a triple take. But I still didn't respond directly - I went on their forum page and investigated - and saw that it was a scam.

One thing that might support the theory that the email respondents are all part of the 'scam' is that they all responded the same way. If they were interested enough to email back, you'd think they would want to explore what was being said and ask for more information.

But............:shrug:.
Amazon needs to track this - it should be easy for them...............
Each "name" they use is also attached to an Amazon account with history (like reviews on stuff bought from Amazon, wishlists) Those reviews are not written with a similar writing style between accounts. They are not just throwaway accounts from the same people.

Pleco

Friendly Neighborhood Rat
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Et tu, mturkcrowd?

bxpretzel

Ari Gold
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
well, I admit this is frustrating and annoying. I just started doing these and now they're "banned" from being posted. are there any other forums where they are still allowed to be posted?

Reactions: Jason2384

Coffee

Contributor
Reaction score
well, I admit this is frustrating and annoying. I just started doing these and now they're "banned" from being posted. are there any other forums where they are still allowed to be posted?
If you use hitscraper, they pop up all the time. People on other forums often ask how to get rid of these results since they are so annoying. The common keyword in most of their titles is "easy".

kryss

carburante al fuoco
Former Admin
Reaction score
I don't know what forums are allowing them. I know that mtg doesn't allow them to be posted. I would assume TN doesn't either.

There are a few mentions of credit card fraud in those emails, with that in mind we just can't allow them on the forum.

Last edited: