Caps?

theturkscribe

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, so I feel like people are saying they did this huge batch of 100 of certain HITs and I'm like I got 5 of those. What could be going wrong? I have scripts installed and that's how I get the first ones but why wouldn't I also be able to do 100? There are still some things about batches and scripts I feel like I'm just not getting.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
OK, so I feel like people are saying they did this huge batch of 100 of certain HITs and I'm like I got 5 of those. What could be going wrong? I have scripts installed and that's how I get the first ones but why wouldn't I also be able to do 100? There are still some things about batches and scripts I feel like I'm just not getting.
Anything specific? Are you talking about being locked out of a batch after 5 or just not being able to do them as quickly as others?

Reactions: theturkscribe

theturkscribe

Contributor
Reaction score
Anything specific? Are you talking about being locked out of a batch after 5 or just not being able to do them as quickly as others?
I'm like I just don't even understand how they are getting 100 of them at all. I'll do maybe 5 and then the next one says no more available. So I guess I am locked out? I'm sorry I'm just totally cornfused. Yes corn-fused!

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I'm like I just don't even understand how they are getting 100 of them at all. I'll do maybe 5 and then the next one says no more available. So I guess I am locked out? I'm sorry I'm just totally cornfused. Yes corn-fused!
It sounds like maybe you're talking about an Endor HIT? Those are HITs posted by Google and they use their own methods of limiting x amount of HITs in each batch to individual workers. But while one of their batches may have like 100 HITs available to each worker right when it's posted, as the total number of HITs in that batch declines, some of those 100 that would have originally been available to you might be gone. So you end up with far fewer HITs that you're able to do compared to someone that started right when the batch posted (or was able to just work them faster, to cap before most of the batch disappeared.) You can find more information on Endor HITs, and other Google-related HITs here: https://www.mturkcrowd.com/threads/...idt-project-endor-and-way-too-many-more.1958/

There are some other requesters that will use similar mechanics within their HITs. I don't do them so I can't tell you exactly what the message says, but I know Pinterest HITs will lock people out of batches, too. That happens when people don't answer one of their golden questions correctly, I believe.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Another thing about the Endor HITs, sometimes you may receive what we call false caps. You'll get the message that the HITs are reserved for other workers even though you can still do more. Try refreshing the frame a few times to see if the message goes away or not. If it does, keep working. If it doesn't, then you know you're actually at your cap.

theturkscribe

Contributor
Reaction score
Aaaaaahhhhhhhh ok! Wow thank you so much aveline @aveline that was easy to understand and I appreciate the help. I've been embarrassed to ask because it just seems like everyone already gets it even at my newbie level.

Reactions: jklmnop and aveline

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Aaaaaahhhhhhhh ok! Wow thank you so much aveline @aveline that was easy to understand and I appreciate the help. I've been embarrassed to ask because it just seems like everyone already gets it even at my newbie level.
Oh, you're welcome. And don't ever be afraid to ask. We're all new at some point and people are always happy to help here. :)

pisceschick

Reaction score
I hope it's OK to tag along and ask another newbie question? :)

There are some other requesters that will use similar mechanics within their HITs. I don't do them so I can't tell you exactly what the message says, but I know Pinterest HITs will lock people out of batches, too. That happens when people don't answer one of their golden questions correctly, I believe.
How would you know if Pinterest has locked you out? I did 4 or 5 of their HITs several weeks ago (all approved), and haven't seen one since! Nothing was rejected and I haven't seen anything from them in my list of Qualifications. Maybe I've just had bad timing?

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score

How would you know if Pinterest has locked you out? I did 4 or 5 of their HITs several weeks ago (all approved), and haven't seen one since! Nothing was rejected and I haven't seen anything from them in my list of Qualifications. Maybe I've just had bad timing?
Pinterest HITs come and go, and there were some rumblings recently that they are moving work off of mturk, perhaps someone else can speak to that. The last time I did them, they have internal quality checks that will pop up a message if you fail too many checks and the HIT will not allow you to complete any more work (you will have to return the HIT). IIRC they also have a qualification preventing some workers from accessing their HITs altogether.

Unfortunately it is now very difficult to navigate one's own qualifications, so perhaps the best thing to do is just keep an eye out for the next time someone mentions Pinterest or "pins" and see if you can see the HITs or accept them. If you can't, say so in the daily thread and perhaps we can help from there.

ItsAmyTee

Corgo
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

Welcome! :wave:

Pinterest will lock you out of a given batch if you answer one of their "golden questions" wrong - you'll know this happens because you'll get a message starting with "oops!" the next time you accept one of their HITs. This lockout will only happen for the remainder of that batch, though, and won't affect your ability to do subsequent batches.

If you were doing them a few weeks ago, you were likely working during the time that they were posting a few HUGE batches. This is very rare! They usually just post a few dozen at a time, and they can be easy to miss. My guess is it's a timing issue, rather than you being locked out. :)

Hope this helps!