Can Someone Clarify the Multiple IP Issue?

Fanugi

Reaction score
Hello all,

Hope everyone's weekend is going well!

Can someone kindly clarify the multiple ID issue?

I run Hitscraper from my laptop (which of course has a different IP than my desktop which I complete / submit the HITS from) and am concerned about violating TOS.

One thing that I'm not clear about is whether Amazon looks at your PUBLIC IP (which is the same for both devices as they're both running on the same provider) or the IP address of the individual computer.

Does anyone know?

In either case, if two IP's are detected can this lead to suspension?

Any insight appreciated as I'm trying to do my best but can't afford to get suspended!

turkenator

━╤デ╦︻(▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)
Contributor
Reaction score
No worries :)

There's no problem using 2 or more machines logged in to mturk at the same time. I have always done it this way. Firstly, if they are all connected to the internet through the same gateway, then they will all have the same ip address anyway. Secondly, if you do connect to mturk from separate ip addresses, amazon does not mind at all. I don't think there is anything in the TOS that actually prohibits connecting using multiple computers or ip addresses. Lots of people connect using VPN, or work and home computers, or their smartphones.

I have heard that sometimes research surveys might use ip address for some things like detecting duplicate responses, and people's location. But mturk itself doesn't.

Reactions: Fanugi