Books, Books, Books

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Post what you're reading, your favorite books, books you hate, etc.

Last edited:

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
Right now I'm re-reading the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. I think my favorite book ever is probably Spindle's End by Robin McKinley, or Wizard of the Grove by Tanya Huff, or all of ASoIaF.

I'm not good at picking favorites

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Right now I'm re-reading the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. I think my favorite book ever is probably Spindle's End by Robin McKinley, or Wizard of the Grove by Tanya Huff, or all of ASoIaF.

Favorites are really hard for me too. Too many books that are too different. Love ASOIAF! I enjoyed the Mistborn series and haven't read the the other two you mentioned. Added to Goodreads. :)

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
Favorites are really hard for me too. Too many books that are too different. Love ASOIAF! I enjoyed the Mistborn series and haven't read the the other two you mentioned. Added to Goodreads. :)
Yay! I hope you like them. Those are the two books that come to my mind the most when someone asks favorite book so I'm guessing those are probably my two favorites. Although the Sword of Truth series was really good (up until I think pillars of creation? I wish I had noped out around then.)

alithia

Oblivion
Contributor
Reaction score
I feel the same way about books. People ask me and I'm like ... it might be shorter to tell you which ones I didn't like.

For those of you who like fantasy, I strongly recommend Sarah Douglass. I was enthralled in her various trilogies.

Last edited:

Pippa

All things lovely and beautiful.
Contributor
Reaction score
I like historical fictions like Pillars of the Earth. Haven't read anything in a while though because of time. Hoping to get some reading in soon though.

Bluedogan

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to read next, I am staring at my digital shelf with hundreds and am overloaded. I read several at any given time. I just finished White Trash Zombie Gone Wild by Diana Rowland and Zeroes by Chuck Wendig. My favorite book is The Stories Life of A.J. Fikry. My favorite non fiction book is Lost City of Z.

I like anything science fiction and zombies. Last year I read 70 but now that I discovered Mturk that number is going to go down. This time last year I was already into book 3.

Reactions: j0e and Vanyanka

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't logged into it in over 2 years now, but this was my goodreads account (I was too lazy and vain to delete all those reviews when there was that clustercuss in 2013). You can see my hundreds of reviews there (many written while semi/totally drunk) and/or make comparisons, cos we all are a little judgy, right?

Philip K Dick is my OTL, but I'm also super into faerie tales (#LangFangirl4Lyfe), comics, zombies and weird. I'm a mega Tolkien nerd (PJ can suck a bag of dicks) and Jasper Fforde is my favourite living author.

KittyRaces

lengthening my shitlist by the minute
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't read nearly as much as I used to (between kiddo, mturk, and my various other endeavors - crochet, coloring.. trying to keep our apartment not a dumpster), but it used to be a LOT. My favorites would have to be:

Peter Pan (like.. I have so many copies of this book)
The Hobbit (^^) & LoTR (seriously, same^^)
I enjoyed the Sookie Stackhouse series but.. the ending was so anti-climactic, I just.. I don't even know.
Harry Potter
Most anything Stephen King & Christopher Moore (I have the version of Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal that looks like a bible. THAT's probably also one of my favorites. So good.)

Back in the day, I devoured the Fear Street series, all the LJ Smith books (Vampire Diaries, etc), Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality series.. I could go on. I have been reading books for as long as I can remember. Essentially, it was how I was potty-trained. :p I'm hoping to instill the same love of reading in Amelia once she'll sit still for more than five minutes. I've tried reading more than picture books to her, but she hasn't been interested yet.

I haven't finished the ASOIAF still, but I do have the first two books (I think husband has the entire set, though).. I'd need to reread the first anyway since it's been so long. I don't really have much of anything that I'm reading right now.. Well, I have something in progress on my Nook, but I haven't touched it in a while so, it doesn't count.

Speaking of, if you have an ereader and aren't already signed up, check out BookBub! You choose your preferred genres and stores from their list and, every day, they'll send you a list of books in said genres that are either free or $0.99/$1.99 on sale. It's amazing and I've acquired SO many books that I wouldn't have otherwise heard of this way. :D

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I need to post a list of books I've enjoyed but one of the best things I've reread recently is the "His Dark Materials" trilogy. If you haven't read it, then you should probably do that. Right now.

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
I need to post a list of books I've enjoyed but one of the best things I've reread recently is the "His Dark Materials" trilogy. If you haven't read it, then you should probably do that. Right now.
I LOVE this series. Was so fucking pissed with the shitfest that the movie was.

Reactions: A6_Foul_Out

KittyRaces

lengthening my shitlist by the minute
Contributor
Reaction score
This is on my list! :D

redtokyoboxers

the güero you cannot sweat-o
Contributor
Champion
Reaction score
Junot Díaz has written the best novels I've read in the last few years, and it's not really close.

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I LOVE this series. Was so fucking pissed with the shitfest that the movie was.
Oh my god, seriously! I was so excited for the movies and they really fucked it up in every way possible. Some of the casting was good, but that's all.

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
I just finished reading the Nightrunner series. I read the first three books when I was a teenager, and didn't even realize she had written 4 more until a couple of months ago.

They were pretty good... kind of tapered off in the last few books though. I enjoyed the first 3 more than I enjoyed the last 3.

TotalBabe

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I just can't seem to find the time to read a lot anymore, unfortunately. The most recent thing I've read is a short story called "Why I Live at the P.O." by Eudora Welty (I read it a while ago, but wanted to read it again). It's pretty amusing (it may not be to everyone's tastes, though). Actually, it's posted on YouTube, read by Welty herself. Vanyanka @Vanyanka I think you might like it, and it's worth listening to just to hear her say "hussy." Ha, ha!

I'm kind of behind in what's new and interesting in popular fiction. The classics are always good, though. I'll have to think about what other books to recommend. I quite like reading plays, too. Oh! Fun fact about me: I collect fairy tale books. :)

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
The Amber Spyglass is one of the first books that made me ugly cry. Need to re-read the whole series again soon. I heard BBC is picking it up so that should be amazing.

Right now I'm 3/4s of the way through An Echo in the Bone (Outlander book ..7? I think?)... I started it once before and only make it a few chapters in, but this time I'm hooked. I have the next one queued up too.

Last edited:

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
The Amber Spyglass is one of the first books that made me ugly cry. Need to re-read the whole series again soon. I heard BBC is picking it up so that should be amazing.
Oh my god, so much this. It hurt so bad at the end. If it got picked up by the BBC that would be <3