Books, Books, Books

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
I never liked Faith because of her acting and the comics kinda fix that. :) I gave up on Buffy for awhile because I was annoyed at some of the choices the writers made but I came back to it and now I love it. The Angel & Faith ones are really fun too. Some crossovers, of course. :)
I have up on Dollhouse early on because of her. Eventually binged both seasons and was glad I gave it another chance cos Enver Gjokaj. :hearteyes:

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
So you think turkers like fantasy/sci-fi more than the average person? I love both but often have trouble finding people IRL to discuss them with. No one in my book groups ever wants to do fantasy.
Great question! Can't speak for others but I grew up in a house full of sci-fi. Dune was one of my first "big books'. Isaac Asimov, the Star Wars Books, Ray Bradbury all part of my early years. Still enjoy some but like it tied into historical fiction now too.

Reactions: A6_Foul_Out and j0e

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
So you think turkers like fantasy/sci-fi more than the average person? I love both but often have trouble finding people IRL to discuss them with. No one in my book groups ever wants to do fantasy.
I don't remember ever NOT being into sf/f. My first bookish obsession was Edward Eager's Half-Magic series. I found most of my bookish loves on my own (or they found me), and it's only been in my mid-late 30s that I've found people who love the same things I do.

Reactions: A6_Foul_Out

KittyRaces

lengthening my shitlist by the minute
Contributor
Reaction score
I grew up surrounded by Stephen King books and the like because my dad was a huge fan. I'm pretty sure I started reading him mid-elementary school and never looked back. Other than that, I'm pretty much the same as essjay @essjay I manage to find good stuff in the genre or they find me XD

TotalBabe

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Great question! Can't speak for others but I grew up in a house full of sci-fi. Dune was one of my first "big books'. Isaac Asimov, the Star Wars Books, Ray Bradbury all part of my early years. Still enjoy some but like it tied into historical fiction now too.
Ray Bradbury was a great writer.

TotalBabe

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I like short stories a great deal. I have a book of short stories by Hemingway that I haven't got around to reading yet (I've read a couple of his short stories in the past and liked them a lot).

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
I loooooove short stories. Maureen McHugh's After the Apocalypse is outstanding. You can read one of the stories from it here, and see if it seems like your sort of thing.

Reactions: Vanyanka

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
The new Young Wizards book (Games Wizards Play) comes out on Tuesday and I'm so excited I might die.

Reactions: Vanyanka

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
The new Young Wizards book (Games Wizards Play) comes out on Tuesday and I'm so excited I might die.
I've never even heard of that. What is wrong with me?

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
I've never even heard of that. What is wrong with me?
OHMIGOSH. They are so good.

You know how sometimes books find you at the exact right time? Not only did So You Want to Be a Wizard find me at the exact right time, but it's about a GIRL WHO IS FOUND BY A BOOK AT THE EXACT RIGHT TIME.

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I've really been behind on my reading. Maybe I'll hunker down tomorrow and get to work.

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
OHMIGOSH. They are so good.

You know how sometimes books find you at the exact right time? Not only did So You Want to Be a Wizard find me at the exact right time, but it's about a GIRL WHO IS FOUND BY A BOOK AT THE EXACT RIGHT TIME.
I might have to move this to the front of my list. :)

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
I might have to move this to the front of my list. :)
Keep in mind that unless you get the New Millennium editions, the first three books were written in the 80s/early 90s, so they are quite dated. I gave the first book to my oldest when he was 13 and he came up to me to ask what a dictaphone was. However, she's updated them fairly recently so that modern teens aren't thrown out of the fantasy by terms they're not familiar with.

Regardless, they are really fabulous. The magic is much more scientific than HP magic, and their goals are lofty and worthwhile.

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Keep in mind that unless you get the New Millennium editions, the first three books were written in the 80s/early 90s, so they are quite dated. I gave the first book to my oldest when he was 13 and he came up to me to ask what a dictaphone was. However, she's updated them fairly recently so that modern teens aren't thrown out of the fantasy by terms they're not familiar with.

Regardless, they are really fabulous. The magic is much more scientific than HP magic, and their goals are lofty and worthwhile.
Would you recommend the updated or original versions? I'm on Amazon about to buy the first one right now.

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
Would you recommend the updated or original versions? I'm on Amazon about to buy the first one right now.
They might follow more if you buy the updated, since everything written since is based off of those.

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
Here is an older review of the first one from when I re-read it a few years ago.

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
This is kind of just a general inquiry about books.

Are there any tenses that just immediately turn you guys off?

Like... 9 times out of 10, if I start a book and it's in first person, I have a really hard time reading it. This seems to be a staple of the YA genre. I'm not sure why, I just don't really enjoy it. It makes me feel like I'm reading someones journal.

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I can't think of a particular tense that turns me off. I do hate it when a series switches tenses depending on the book. I often understand why they're doing it from a plot perspective but it takes me out of the story.

Digital Nomad

Reaction score
Attempting to make my self finish reading Sironia, Texas. Story sucks but I feel like I have to finish it now.