coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I love to read but haven't had as much time this past year due to midlife crisis of going back to school, trying to change jobs, starting a business etc etc. Trying to read each night before bed again. Anyway, my favorite book of all time is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I reread it every year. Love the film version with Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche too. SWOON! Wanted to teach lit at one point probably because of that book. Favorite genres are mystery, historical fiction and the occasional biography. Read everything by Connie Willis a few years ago. Great time travel/historical fiction with an occasional cat! Check out her Doomsday Book or To Say Nothing of the Dog if interested in those things.

TotalBabe

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I love to read but haven't had as much time this past year due to midlife crisis of going back to school, trying to change jobs, starting a business etc etc. Trying to read each night before bed again. Anyway, my favorite book of all time is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I reread it every year. Love the film version with Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche too. SWOON! Wanted to teach lit at one point probably because of that book. Favorite genres are mystery, historical fiction and the occasional biography. Read everything by Connie Willis a few years ago. Great time travel/historical fiction with an occasional cat! Check out her Doomsday Book or To Say Nothing of the Dog if interested in those things.
I like Wuthering Heights a lot, too. The Binoche/Fiennes version is the best. I've seen it so many times.

If you haven't read it, you might like "The English Patient" by Michael Ondaatje. He's an interesting writer with an interesting style. I bet you've seen the film version of it, but if you haven't, you should. It's another film with Juliette Binoche and Ralph Fiennes!

Vanyanka @Vanyanka and I have discussed this previously, but I love Austen's "Pride and Prejudice," too. I've seen the miniseries adaptation with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth an outrageous amount of times.

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I like Wuthering Heights a lot, too. The Binoche/Fiennes version is the best. I've seen it so many times.

If you haven't read it, you might like "The English Patient" by Michael Ondaatje. He's an interesting writer with an interesting style. I bet you've seen the film version of it, but if you haven't, you should. It's another film with Juliette Binoche and Ralph Fiennes!

Vanyanka @Vanyanka and I have discussed this previously, but I love Austen's "Pride and Prejudice," too. I've seen the miniseries adaptation with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth an outrageous amount of times.
Yes to all of this! Love The English Patient in all forms! Ondaatje is amazing. His poems are wonderful too. He haunts me.

Huge fan of English/Irish writers as well. Jane Austen, Cormac McCarthy, James Joyce, Dorothy Dunnett (fave of my grandmother who is also an avid reader), Agatha Christie and many more! I truly believe I was born in the wrong time and place. Probably why I love historical fiction. As for prolific writers whose works make great movies, besides Mr. Shakespeare, I do love John Le Carré books and movie adaptations. Some faves are Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Constant Gardener (Mr. Fiennes again! So good), The Little Drummer Girl and The Tailor of Panama. I am not always a fan of book to movie adaptations, looking at you Les Mis with singing blech!, but sometimes they do get it right.

Edit: forgot Richard Adams and his masterpiece Watership Down in the English writers. Fiver is my spirit animal!

I also collect photobooks but that is another day's discussion. I have to work now!

Last edited:

Manderwiz

Contributor
Reaction score
Currently reading Book 3 of Lauren Quick's Sister Witch mysteries (Midsummer Night's Mayhem.) Got the first one for free and couldn't wait to read the rest of them. After this, I'll be reading Craig Saunders The Dead Boy, and finishing up the 2nd and 3rd books of Tony Bertauski's Legend of the Fat Man series. Probably get a couple of mysteries going while kindle batteries recharge. Love reading!

Reactions: Vanyanka

Cara

ad space now available
Contributor
Reaction score
i just picked up the hemlock grove book, can't wait to read it!

Reactions: A6_Foul_Out

Pippa

All things lovely and beautiful.
Contributor
Reaction score

TQueen

Southern Sweetness
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I always love reading biographies. Randomly right now I'm reading Troublemaker by Leah Remini. I'd recommend it. It's about her struggle with her career and her life in Scientology.

MerryLou

unpalatable
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
EVERYTHING by Tad Williams and Garth Nix's Old Kingdom Books

^It took me about 20 minutes to decide that that was all I was going to put as far as favs in this post. Big ol fan of the written word here with a heavy fantasy/scifi/supernatural preference.

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm on Goodreads but I can't even figure out what my username is. I'm loopy tonight.
I've never found anyone by their user name, usually a URL.

In other news. Since I'm not working tonight, I'm catching up on comics. Currently reading Giant Days which is awesome.

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I've never found anyone by their user name, usually a URL.

In other news. Since I'm not working tonight, I'm catching up on comics. Currently reading Giant Days which is awesome.

I haven't read many comic books but I do own all the canonical Buffy and Angel & Faith comics. :)

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't read many comic books but I do own all the canonical Buffy and Angel & Faith comics. :)
I started s10, but didn't get far in before other stuff started distracting me. I don't like Faith (which has everything to do with Eliza Dushku's stupid face), so haven't read those. :/

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I started s10, but didn't get far in before other stuff started distracting me. I don't like Faith (which has everything to do with Eliza Dushku's stupid face), so haven't read those. :/
I never liked Faith because of her acting and the comics kinda fix that. :) I gave up on Buffy for awhile because I was annoyed at some of the choices the writers made but I came back to it and now I love it. The Angel & Faith ones are really fun too. Some crossovers, of course. :)

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
So you think turkers like fantasy/sci-fi more than the average person? I love both but often have trouble finding people IRL to discuss them with. No one in my book groups ever wants to do fantasy.