Auto-refresher

Michael Castro

Reaction score
Hi I am also pretty new and was wondering how to make Chrome auto-refresh while in the Hit Queue. Or is there any other way to pick up hits without manually doing it? It is frustrating to refresh a lot and miss hits.

THANKS SO MUCH!

Michael Castro

Reaction score
Thanks!

But now I am just getting denied hits in Hit Finder, they come up and I click on them in "Logged Hits" and they are gone. I don't understand what value Hit Finder adds and what also is the purpose of Hit Catcher, when you don't have relationships with requesters and know WHEN the ones that paid well from the past will need more work done.

I am stubborn and will get the hang of this soon haha

jan

Reaction score
Thanks!

But now I am just getting denied hits in Hit Finder, they come up and I click on them in "Logged Hits" and they are gone. I don't understand what value Hit Finder adds and what also is the purpose of Hit Catcher, when you don't have relationships with requesters and know WHEN the ones that paid well from the past will need more work done.

I am stubborn and will get the hang of this soon haha
I'll take the hit catcher part of the question (though I use panda crazy). If something I want posts on the forum, then I can set up my panda (catcher) for that hit. If it's a great hit (pays a lot) I'll concentrate on getting it. Throughout the day, I might set up my panda for 2 or 3 hits. If it's a super good hit, I might just try to catch that one hit. People return hits all the time. Or, they queue one up, get distracted - and it comes back onto mturk. I'm just waiting for one of those returns and then my panda grabs it.

But when folks get an alert that their 'favorite' requester is posting, they might set a panda for it as well. That's why they are always looking for the 'good' requesters that they have come to know - or perhaps something that they have a qualification for.

But mturk is a busy, crazy world. Everyone is waiting to pounce. You have to learn to do that, too.

Michael Castro

Reaction score
Ok thank you very much. So Panda Crazy and Hit Catcher are two systems that do the same thing, sounds like.

So next question is: should I stay on the Daily Work Thread for the day and stay engaged and listen to people and what they are seeing for good work that they are willing to share, and then set up Hit Catcher to "Catch" it? By doing what? "Add Watcher"? by inputting Group ID, Purl or Aurl? I am loaded with so many questions at this point. Thanks again.

TSolo315

SnapNCrackle
Administrator
Reaction score
Ok thank you very much. So Panda Crazy and Hit Catcher are two systems that do the same thing, sounds like.

So next question is: should I stay on the Daily Work Thread for the day and stay engaged and listen to people and what they are seeing for good work that they are willing to share, and then set up Hit Catcher to "Catch" it? By doing what? "Add Watcher"? by inputting Group ID, Purl or Aurl? I am loaded with so many questions at this point. Thanks again.
HIT exports in the daily thread have a "panda" or "accept" link. Right click that link and copy the link location. This is the "accept url" that HIT catcher is talking about. Paste that in and click ok. Now you have a Panda running for that HIT. A panda constantly sends the accept link trying to catch the HIT in case someone returns it or lets it expire. You will want to set a relatively low timer to have a higher chance of catching HITs this way, but not so low as to start getting PREs (page request errors.) There is a PRE counter on each Panda in HIT catcher and if that starts going up you will want to raise the timer.

Last edited:

Michael Castro

Reaction score
Yeah i haven't been able to figure this problem out. I copy the link from the export, and then paste it at "Add Watcher" screen in Hit Catcher. It doesn't take the link and accept the infomation...let me see if I can figure out how to screenshot what I am seeing.

Michael Castro

Reaction score
IT WORKED! :)

Doesn't every time, but sometimes it does.The requester name appears in HC when it works and when it doesn't, it's just a really long letter string that isn't capturing any thing.

but I caught a hit from the thread after I right clicked it and selected Hit Catcher Multiple, it actually picked up the same hit three times, but whatever, progress!!! Thanks a lot.

TSolo315

SnapNCrackle
Administrator
Reaction score
IT WORKED! :)

Doesn't every time, but sometimes it does.The requester name appears in HC when it works and when it doesn't, it's just a really long letter string that isn't capturing any thing.

but I caught a hit from the thread after I right clicked it and selected Hit Catcher Multiple, it actually picked up the same hit three times, but whatever, progress!!! Thanks a lot.
The long string is probably the group ID. The panda is working regardless of if you catch something or not. Sometimes there is nothing to catch so it just sits there refreshing. Then when someone returns the HIT, it goes back into the pool to be caught, and your panda picks it up. If no one ever returns the HIT, then your panda will never catch it -- because there was nothing to catch.

https://worker.mturk.com/projects/3TREZ2KLSXYOVG377157602U8UKJIQ/tasks/accept_random

This is a panda link copied from the forum. Do you see the string in the middle? That is the group ID. That's all the information that HIT catcher has when you start a Panda this way so it uses it as a HIT title/identifier.

Michael Castro

Reaction score
So even though it isn't someone's name or a university lab, etc, it is still working although nothing has been caught? and you use this solely hoping that someone returns something, or for more? Last question of the day.

TSolo315

SnapNCrackle
Administrator
Reaction score
So even though it isn't someone's name or a university lab, etc, it is still working although nothing has been caught? and you use this solely hoping that someone returns something, or for more? Last question of the day.
Right. After a HIT has been caught HIT Finder will update the name (it sees the requester/hit title when you catch the HIT, so it can update.) The panda is still running when all you see is the group ID, it just hasn't caught anything (yet.)

Sometimes batch HITs (short tasks you can do a lot of) will trickle in slowly and pandas can be useful for catching those as well. For catching HITs before they get taken by other turkers you should use HIT Finder.