coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

This is a place to discuss your favorite films. Just talk about what you like, what you want to see, fave actors or actresses, etc. Anything movie related! Nothing that violates forum guidelines of course. Please use Spoiler tags for anything plot related. Don't want to ruin a great flick for others who haven't seen it yet! Thanks!

The first film I remember seeing in a theater was Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. I still remember when the first ship came on the screen. My brother and I looked at each other like WHOA! This is gonna be good! So I am a big fan of the originals and loved The Force Awakens.

Some other favorite films are Last of the Mohicans, Amelie (and all directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet), Sixteen Candles (80's John Hughes baby), Notorious (love old b/w films), Up!, Buena Vista Social Club and too many historical period dramas to mention.

Any movies coming out that you are excited to see this summer? Do tell!

Last edited:

SquishyFluffkin

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm super excited for Suicide Squad to come out. I think it will be a good step forward from the lackluster performance of Batman Vs Superman. I like the actors, every trailer I've seen I've loved. It's one of the first movies I've been genuinely excited for in a long time.

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I'm super excited for Suicide Squad to come out. I think it will be a good step forward from the lackluster performance of Batman Vs Superman. I like the actors, every trailer I've seen I've loved. It's one of the first movies I've been genuinely excited for in a long time.
Oh yes. Looking forward to it as well!

Yatagarasu

all up in the videos, all on the records, dancin'
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I watched Monster's Inc. with the kid yesterday and she loved it. Finding Nemo didn't keep her attention so I wasn't sure how it'd go. She's only a year and a half old and requests to watch Thomas & Friends 99% of the time. As far as current movies, I'm not even sure what's out or what's coming tbh. I haven't been to a theater in 2 years.

corvid

Contributor
Reaction score
I watched Mistress America the other day which I really loved. Greta Gerwig was perfect, as always. As far as favorites go, I really like I Heart Huckabees, Broken Flowers, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Upstream Color, and Me Without You.

I'm terrible at keeping up with new releases so I'm going to use this thread for ideas on what to watch. Thanks in advance and thanks coffeeowl @coffeeowl for initiating it!

TQueen

Southern Sweetness
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Great thread coffeeowl @coffeeowl !

I watch tons of movies, but I never really go to the theater. The most recent one that I watched that was new was probably the Danish Girl. It was pretty artsy fartsy, just wasn't my cup of tea. Interesting story though.

I'm actually wanting to see the Conjuring 2. I know, horror movie squeals are the worst, but I've heard great things about it. And I live for a good horror movie. :tqueen:

Kessikitty

Issac the Todd
Contributor
Reaction score

I watch tons of movies, but I never really go to the theater. The most recent one that I watched that was new was probably the Danish Girl. It was pretty artsy fartsy, just wasn't my cup of tea. Interesting story though.

I'm actually wanting to see the Conjuring 2. I know, horror movie squeals are the worst, but I've heard great things about it. And I live for a good horror movie. :tqueen:
I've never been able to watch horror movies. Something about them always makes me crack up, one part being even SLIGHTLY cheesy or exaggerated makes me die laughing. I haven't seen the Danish Girl yet....how artsy fartsy we talking?
Like that fake hipster coffee shop or secret underground film and music festival "you wouldn't understand us anyway" artsy fartsy?

Reactions: coffeeowl

TQueen

Southern Sweetness
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I've never been able to watch horror movies. Something about them always makes me crack up, one part being even SLIGHTLY cheesy or exaggerated makes me die laughing. I haven't seen the Danish Girl yet....how artsy fartsy we talking?
Like that fake hipster coffee shop or secret underground film and music festival "you wouldn't understand us anyway" artsy fartsy?
It was definitely one of those movies for people who do "films". Lots of like staring and angles and scenery etc etc. But Eddie Redmayne was great as usual, and I wish it wasn't as artsy, because the biography was super interesting.

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

I can't do horror films. Too :chicken:! I even fast forward through parts of some fave films that have scary scenes. Or snakes or spiders. Dracula films are an exception but those are usually more psychological thriller than horror.

I love artsy fartsy films if we are talking independent films. I also agree about too many angles and weird shots ruining a good story. I had the same prob with the latest Les Mis or what I like to call 'close up cry'. Just tell me a good story with a good cast and stay in the right period with costumes etc. Is that too much to ask? :wink:

TQueen

Southern Sweetness
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I can't do horror films. Too :chicken:! I even fast forward through parts of some fave films that have scary scenes. Or snakes or spiders. Dracula films are an exception but those are usually more psychological thriller than horror.

I love artsy fartsy films if we are talking independent films. I also agree about too many angles and weird shots ruining a good story. I had the same prob with the latest Les Mis or what I like to call 'close up cry'. Just tell me a good story with a good cast and stay in the right period with costumes etc. Is that too much to ask? :wink:
I was a fan of the first Conjuring. It had some really standard horror movie stuff with a slow build, but the movie was well put together with some great acting.