Press/Studies Article about MTurk with a mention of MTC!

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score

Dutchy

Lion's Dimension
Contributor
Reaction score
Communicating with Amazon is, for all practical purposes, virtually impossible. "The lack of support we have is disturbing," said Bhatia. "There's no live chat, no phone number." The only way a Turker can make contact is through email, which prompts a boilerplate response.

"I am utterly baffled by the choices they are making," said Little, "and the number one choice they are making a mistake in is a lack of communication. Why do they want to be so hands off? It can't because of the risk of a lawsuit, because their terms of service clearly state 'No class action lawsuits.'"

Little talked to lawyers, but "none of them would ever take on a single worker against Amazon," he said. And Amazon still refuses to talk. "Not even about rejections, not about improvements, not about how we think they could make more money," he said. "Nothing."

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
The writer of this article has been on two online shows talking about MTurk:

TWiT:

Daily Tech News Show:

Reactions: jan

MrTrentSD

Alive and Kicking
Contributor
Reaction score
electrolyte @electrolyte
I listen to KCRW (Morning Becomes Eclectic and Eclectic 24) while turking and this show was promoted.
Mostly about Uber but Mechanical Turk was mentioned at 24:30. Some 'classification of workers as independent contractors' at 40:00.
The pro Uber / the ‘gig economy is wonderful’ guy was frustrating to hear his thoughts. Basically ‘The Struggle Is Real‘ and that a good thing. Hold on when he talks about health care.

https://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/s...-gig-economy-is-changing-the-way-we-view-work

Reactions: jan

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
electrolyte @electrolyte
I listen to KCRW (Morning Becomes Eclectic and Eclectic 24) while turking and this show was promoted.
Mostly about Uber but Mechanical Turk was mentioned at 24:30. Some 'classification of workers as independent contractors' at 40:00.
The pro Uber / the ‘gig economy is wonderful’ guy was frustrating to hear his thoughts. Basically ‘The Struggle Is Real‘ and that a good thing. Hold on when he talks about health care.

https://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/s...-gig-economy-is-changing-the-way-we-view-work
Thanks! I'll check it out.