Rep Present A survey of MTurk Experience

grouplens

Requester
Reaction score
Hello all,

You are invited to participate in a research study that intends to understand the trend of voluntary group-formation phenomenon on Amazon Mechanical Turk. This research is conducted by Dr. Joseph Konstan, Dr. Haiyi Zhu and their students Xinyi Wang, Yangyun Li and Yu Cui at College of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Minnesota.

Recently, we found that some Turkers have self organized into various groups outside Amazon Mechanical Turk to exchange MTurk related information. Understanding the motivations behind this phenomenon and what impact it could have is important, because it is of interest to all parties involved: Turkers as individual users, Amazon as a platform, and requesters who conduct research on MTurk. Moreover, it might advance the knowledge on motivation, online behavior, incentive strategies, group formation, and crowdsourcing. It might also produce important design implications for other micro-laboring instances.

You are identified as a potential participant because you are a registered user on Amazon Mechanical Turk. The HIT task includes a survey that would take about 5 minutes to finish. It contains questions regarding your general usage of MTurk, your awareness of the Turker groups, a short personality test, and some demographic information, By the end of the survey, you will be invited to participate in a brief interview regarding your experience using MTurk via Skype, Google Hangout or phone call. This interview is very important for us and your contribution will be very appreciated.

There are 2 links below. Please click the first link to go to to Qualtrics and fill out the survey. At the end of the survey, you will received a code. After that, click the second link to the HIT on Amazon Mechanical Turk, and paste the code into the box to receive credit for taking our survey.

Make sure to leave this window open as you complete the survey. When you are finished, you will return to this page to paste the code into the box.

Here is the link to Qualtrics: https://umn.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0qsQGsZDZOEg3B3

Here is the HIT link on AMT:

https://www.mturk.com/mturk/preview?groupId=3NCF7G1XJI1TIUH7PBS5DZ4KF92NA0

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi! Several people (myself included) accepted this HIT earlier today when it was first posted. Seeing that it required a special link, we weren't able to do it. The HIT has a 60 minute timer so it has now expired for us (the timer starts as soon as you click to "accept' the HIT) and so we no longer are able to do it, since workers are only allowed to accept a HIT one time. Will it be reposted again sometime after this, so we can try again?

Also, is the Skype interview portion mandatory or optional? Can workers complete the survey but opt not to participate in the Skype interview? Thanks!

grouplens

Requester
Reaction score
Hi! Several people (myself included) accepted this HIT earlier today when it was first posted. Seeing that it required a special link, we weren't able to do it. The HIT has a 60 minute timer so it has now expired for us (the timer starts as soon as you click to "accept' the HIT) and so we no longer are able to do it, since workers are only allowed to accept a HIT one time. Will it be reposted again sometime after this, so we can try again?

Also, is the Skype interview portion mandatory or optional? Can workers complete the survey but opt not to participate in the Skype interview? Thanks!
Hi! For the first question, I will discuss it with my partner. And the Skype interview is optional. You don't have to accept it:)

The Bad Ash

Not Goody Little 2 Shoes
Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,

You are invited to participate in a research study that intends to understand the trend of voluntary group-formation phenomenon on Amazon Mechanical Turk. This research is conducted by Dr. Joseph Konstan, Dr. Haiyi Zhu and their students Xinyi Wang, Yangyun Li and Yu Cui at College of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Minnesota.

Recently, we found that some Turkers have self organized into various groups outside Amazon Mechanical Turk to exchange MTurk related information. Understanding the motivations behind this phenomenon and what impact it could have is important, because it is of interest to all parties involved: Turkers as individual users, Amazon as a platform, and requesters who conduct research on MTurk. Moreover, it might advance the knowledge on motivation, online behavior, incentive strategies, group formation, and crowdsourcing. It might also produce important design implications for other micro-laboring instances.

You are identified as a potential participant because you are a registered user on Amazon Mechanical Turk. The HIT task includes a survey that would take about 5 minutes to finish. It contains questions regarding your general usage of MTurk, your awareness of the Turker groups, a short personality test, and some demographic information, By the end of the survey, you will be invited to participate in a brief interview regarding your experience using MTurk via Skype, Google Hangout or phone call. This interview is very important for us and your contribution will be very appreciated.

There are 2 links below. Please click the first link to go to to Qualtrics and fill out the survey. At the end of the survey, you will received a code. After that, click the second link to the HIT on Amazon Mechanical Turk, and paste the code into the box to receive credit for taking our survey.

Make sure to leave this window open as you complete the survey. When you are finished, you will return to this page to paste the code into the box.

Here is the link to Qualtrics: https://umn.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_0qsQGsZDZOEg3B3

Here is the HIT link on AMT:

https://www.mturk.com/mturk/preview?groupId=3NCF7G1XJI1TIUH7PBS5DZ4KF92NA0
Is there a bonus or something involved in this? I'm doing it now and it seems horribly underpaid. I'm about to return it just on principle.

grouplens

Requester
Reaction score
Is there a bonus or something involved in this? I'm doing it now and it seems horribly underpaid. I'm about to return it just on principle.
I'm sorry that we don't have a bonus for this project. It is just a 5 min survey, and the interview is optional.

Reactions: The Bad Ash

The Bad Ash

Not Goody Little 2 Shoes
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sorry that we don't have a bonus for this project. It is just a 5 min survey, and the interview is optional.
kk. Yeah I was actually on the last page when I asked. A bit underpaid but not "horribly"

SweetiePuff

No Lifer
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Since it's late (and I'm a bit daft) ... The first survey link is unpaid, then I need to catch the panda and put the code (from the first unpaid survey that I just completed) into the 2nd survey (that I need to catch)?

grouplens

Requester
Reaction score
Since it's late (and I'm a bit daft) ... The first survey link is unpaid, then I need to catch the panda and put the code (from the first unpaid survey that I just completed) into the 2nd survey (that I need to catch)?
Yes. When you finish the survey, you will receive a code, then copy it to the blank on the website of HIT.

SweetiePuff

No Lifer
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Yes. When you finish the survey, you will receive a code, then copy it to the blank on the website of HIT.
Thank you :) I'll just save the screenshot of the code until I catch the panda.

Itsmee

Condor
Contributor
Reaction score
Did the job and still can't catch the HIT?????

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
I would strongly suggest that workers NOT do the survey until AFTER you have successfully accepted the HIT. That will ensure that you don't get stuck in the position that Itsmee @Itsmee is unfortunately in. :( Itsmee @Itsmee, hopefully G @grouplens can help you out with getting credit for your work!

Itsmee

Condor
Contributor
Reaction score
Tis okay, just glad to help out the Requester, but just letting him know the way he set this up, things like this could happen.

Happy Thanksgiving guys....

SweetiePuff

No Lifer
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Reactions: Itsmee

grouplens

Requester
Reaction score
Tis okay, just glad to help out the Requester, but just letting him know the way he set this up, things like this could happen.

Happy Thanksgiving guys....
I am so sorry that I didn't see your message until now. Do you still have any question about thisHIT survey?

Itsmee

Condor
Contributor
Reaction score
G @grouplens
I am so sorry that I didn't see your message until now. Do you still have any question about thisHIT survey?
Thanks for posting the HIT again....Hopefully I put in the correct code...Will PM you...