12/26 - Tylenol Tuesday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jharkan

Internets EXPERT
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I guess businesses can just screw everyone. Don't invest in that business!
the logic behind it makes sense
unfortunately, just because something is logical, doesn't mean that it functions as planned
their idea was that if someone just copy/pastes the code, that means they didn't pay attention to the text above that, which describes how to set up a code.

if they weren't paying attention to THAT, what else didn't they pay attention to? invalid data/reject

quite frankly, when I am on a screen with a survey completion code, I glance through the text, but it's almost always a debrief, which is only read if I'm wildly interested in whatever the task was. If I'm not interested, just post the suicide hotline, and let them acknowledge that they received my honest responses, and let's just call it a day

Last edited:

Achilles2357

Reaction score
Honestly they just set up their HIT in a stupid way. Rather than providing unique codes at the end or tying it to your mturk ID, they asked you to create a code they couldn't verify other than by the code being in a certain format. There was no way for them to identify which mturk IDs did which HITs, and once they started sending out rejections where they described what the code should have been it became pointless because now everyone knew what the code was. The whole thing was a silly mess they could easily have avoided.
"Honestly they just set up their HIT in a stupid way."
The forum should have a button that just submits this text as a post.
(Well, in reality not... things would get very boring here!)

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
"Honestly they just set up their HIT in a stupid way."
This drives me nuts. It's so true so often, but when workers email requesters to tell them this, 9 times out of 10 they either don't respond or get argumentative. How about you stop for a minute and understand that workers who have been doing this stuff for hours a day for a long time actually have some experience and useful information and are worth listening to?

SherryNotShirley

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone try to work on VSI Production's Hits? I've tried, but when I submit the completed Hit, a weird code comes up. I don't see anything on TO about this and was wondering if any of you fine people have tried it? I reported the Hit as broken and emailed the requester but haven't heard back.
YEAH IT did that to me too

Jharkan

Internets EXPERT
Contributor
Reaction score
This drives me nuts. It's so true so often, but when workers email requesters to tell them this, 9 times out of 10 they either don't respond or get argumentative. How about you stop for a minute and understand that workers who have been doing this stuff for hours a day for a long time actually have some experience and useful information and are worth listening to?
I'm of the opinion that they think it's bizarre for people to argue over a dollar (or whatever it is).
they don't realize that it's more about our rejection rate than it is the money for the task
don't get me wrong, of course no one wants to work for free
and it burns even worse when you don't even know if they will use your input anyway
but for some requesters, they just signed up here to get one task done, they paid for the ones they liked, and that's it
they were warned that some people will try to scam them out of their survey, so they put in an attention check as suggested, and lo and behold the trap was sprung. the people that warned of survey-scammers must have been right!
the method of attention check couldn't be faulty; just read it! aha! look! rejecteds are emailing me! *block email* *block email* ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Evergreen Queen

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that they think it's bizarre for people to argue over a dollar (or whatever it is).
they don't realize that it's more about our rejection rate than it is the money for the task
don't get me wrong, of course no one wants to work for free
and it burns even worse when you don't even know if they will use your input anyway
but for some requesters, they just signed up here to get one task done, they paid for the ones they liked, and that's it
they were warned that some people will try to scam them out of their survey, so they put in an attention check as suggested, and lo and behold the trap was sprung. the people that warned of survey-scammers must have been right!
the method of attention check couldn't be faulty; just read it! aha! look! rejecteds are emailing me! *block email* *block email* ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's all of that, but I'm also talking about them just getting good, useful results. When workers say, "Hey, your HIT design sucks and here's why", it would be in their best interest to listen to that and fix their HIT so they get the best results they can. But so often, they're stubborn and are sure their way is best when it actuality, their way either screws workers or ends up getting the requesters some not great results, or both.

Reactions: <Gucci>

Jharkan

Internets EXPERT
Contributor
Reaction score
It's all of that, but I'm also talking about them just getting good, useful results. When workers say, "Hey, your HIT design sucks and here's why", it would be in their best interest to listen to that and fix their HIT so they get the best results they can. But so often, they're stubborn and are sure their way is best when it actuality, their way either screws workers or ends up getting the requesters some not great results, or both.
I think many people that email in are angry, and perhaps not professional.
when only one person among many seems to talk reason, they may have been drowned out by other people emailing in "threats" and stuff

you should never email them back while you're mad, and I think many people make that mistake.

SCOTTM

Reaction score
Title: Quick Survey Tuesday, December 26, 2017 #7 | Accept
Requester: Nate Hodges [A1AQHR31NR4J6N] Contact
TV: [Hrly: $29.64] [Pay: 4.58] [Fast: null] [Comm: null] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Blk: 0]
TO: [Pay: 3.53] [Fast: 4.71] [Comm: 4.60] [Fair: 5.00] [Reviews: 73] [ToS: 0]
TO2: [Hrly: ---] [Pen: ---] [Res: ---] [Rec: ---] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 0]
Reward:
$10.00
Duration: 2 hours 20 minutes
Available: 1
Description: Please take a look at a few questions and provide us with your thoughts.
Requirements: ICO 200 Deep Exists; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 90; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.0.7
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]
I did $19 dollars of Nate Hodges surveys today. Watched a lot about Bitcoin.

Achilles2357

Reaction score
I think many people that email in are angry, and perhaps not professional.
when only one person among many seems to talk reason, they may have been drowned out by other people emailing in "threats" and stuff

you should never email them back while you're mad, and I think many people make that mistake.
Never emailing anyone when you're mad is probably a good rule, and I've learned it the hard way.

Jharkan

Internets EXPERT
Contributor
Reaction score
my stupid apartment complex started charging all tenants (back in July) $25 per month for door-to-door trash removal.

the dumpsters are 15 feet from my front door. maybe 25. still, very short walk.
until last thursday.
dec. 21 the dumpsters were taken back by the contracted company, wastemanagement, and the $25/monthly that we've been charged is supposed to FINALLY start being enacted (even though no one wanted it)

we're supposed to put trash outside our door by 6pm, and from 6pm to 8pm someone is supposed to come by and take the trash.

here we are on monday night, and they've only come out one day. day 1. thursday dec 21, at midnight.

so all these apartments have trashbags at their front doors, and I'm just waiting for someone to end up accidentally letting in a fox or raccoon one of these days, or a feral cat, who knows.

Nuramazing

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Experience Study (7 min academic study)(~ 7 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Gabriela Tonietto [A26RQ6J8MFVJ0B] (TO)
TO Ratings:
★★★★★ 5.00 Communicativity
★★★★ 4.00 Generosity
★★★★★ 5.00 Fairness
★★★★★ 5.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 51 | TOS Flags: 0
Submit a new TO review
Description: 7 minute Academic Study about opinions on different experiences (No internet searching!)
Time: 1800
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $0.70
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100;Exc: [635081674-68917] DoesNotExist ;HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95;Location In US

Achilles2357

Reaction score
my stupid apartment complex started charging all tenants (back in July) $25 per month for door-to-door trash removal.

the dumpsters are 15 feet from my front door. maybe 25. still, very short walk.
until last thursday.
dec. 21 the dumpsters were taken back by the contracted company, wastemanagement, and the $25/monthly that we've been charged is supposed to FINALLY start being enacted (even though no one wanted it)

we're supposed to put trash outside our door by 6pm, and from 6pm to 8pm someone is supposed to come by and take the trash.

here we are on monday night, and they've only come out one day. day 1. thursday dec 21, at midnight.

so all these apartments have trashbags at their front doors, and I'm just waiting for someone to end up accidentally letting in a fox or raccoon one of these days, or a feral cat, who knows.
I have a close relative who took the apartment complex to court over some stuff like this and won. I think the financial stakes were slightly higher, but maybe only 3x or 4x.

Status
Not open for further replies.