Liking the worker site so far?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tricker

Contributor
Reaction score
New surveycomets just dropped.
aaaaannnnddd I finally have the qual. Just cannot do one right now at work! Shit.

Hopefully it's still up when I go home for lunch.

edit: nevermind. Their email said get it now or wait to be prioritized next time. I'm doing it at work.

Last edited:

SalvadorZombie

The Jon Moxley of Mturk
Reaction score
By the way - all of this talk about internet service is almost a moot point.

Know how SpaceX has been gradually developing reusable rocket tech? Among other things, it's to further his goal of a global laser-delivered satellite internet service. He's been developing the plans for this for a long time - 4000+ satellites distributed around the world, both to deliver service and create redundancy (if one satellite goes down, another can change aim to encompass the lost service area). Basically, because it uses lasers for delivery, the latency ends up being (if I remember correctly) about 30ms (about what you'd get now anyway). Global internet with 30ms ping. He's planning to launch a prototype satellite this year. He's planning to put them all in orbit by 2024. I'd definitely expect him to start building the network up as the satellites go into orbit, not sit there silent while they wait for everyone else. Confirm viability while sending more out.

So yeah...all of this talk is with something far, far greater right on the horizon. And in 2-3 years when people are saying "did anyone even consider that we'd have something so cool in (insert year here)?" remember this conversation.

SalvadorZombie

The Jon Moxley of Mturk
Reaction score
you say significant growth, but you're talking about major metropolitan areas. of which my state has zero. our biggest town is less than 50,000 people. even if "in a couple years" google fiber gets out to smaller metros like cleveland, richmond, savannah, etc, they still will not give WV a second look. we will be the last to ever get fiber, if at all. do you know what the topography of the state looks like? seriously if you think someone is going to make an investment in these hills and hollows to run fiber to us you are smoking something. i work in counties in this state that do not even have reliable telephone service in their homes, let alone access to some type of broadband internet.
Obviously rural areas are a problem. They always are. The solution to that is the upcoming satellite-based laser-delivered network that's being worked on right now. Not that that's going to help in the *immediate* future, but considering that many rural areas barely get cable and cell service, much less internet service, it's a big step.

bxpretzel

Ari Gold
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Obviously rural areas are a problem. They always are. The solution to that is the upcoming satellite-based laser-delivered network that's being worked on right now. Not that that's going to help in the *immediate* future, but considering that many rural areas barely get cable and cell service, much less internet service, it's a big step.
idk, i'm real skeptical considering that Ashit Pai touted that ISPs will all of a sudden be investing in rural areas because they got rid of net neutrality. sounds like a whole bunch of BS to me.

jakey baby

Certified Muppet
Reaction score
guyssss im so happy. im on my parents insurance until im 26, and im 21 now.. but I moved away and my parents insurance wouldnt cover anything where I live now.. but starting in January theyll cover like everything where I live and I get to go to therapy again and im so damn happy and excited.

SalvadorZombie

The Jon Moxley of Mturk
Reaction score
I should also say, I'm something of an idealist. I'm also a misanthrope, because any real idealist who sees what people are doing when they could be doing so much more is bound to start hating those very people they love (which is to say all people). But I'm also someone who takes pride in his ability to look at a situation and give a reasonable projection. So when I'm saying all of this, I understand that it can seem "pie in the sky," but given that a lot of things that I've considered in the past have happened more or less as considered, I don't say these kinds of things lightly. And I say them with the *absolute hope* that it turns out better than I expect, and that *even more* people benefit than I hope. I mean, FFS, my sole blood brother on my father's side lives in the boondocks. I don't want my family living in a backwards area. He loves rural areas, but I know that he'd want everything that the big cities have...so I say this fully hoping that people like my brother, in his 4 square block town, can have gigabit service in a few years. I prefer to be positively realistic that unnecessarily negative.

SalvadorZombie

The Jon Moxley of Mturk
Reaction score
idk, i'm real skeptical considering that Ashit Pai touted that ISPs will all of a sudden be investing in rural areas because they got rid of net neutrality. sounds like a whole bunch of BS to me.
Well of course it is. Everything that comes out of that douchebag's mouth is bullshit. The benefit comes from us SEEING that, the 17 states suing the FCC as we speak, and the realization of how vital the internet is.

Reactions: booboo33 and ecko
Status
Not open for further replies.