12/11 - Sadistic Saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nowicki2021

Reaction score
some quals are just nonsense (you request it, it goes into a black hole and the requester never sees it).

Others give you a qual right away and there are no hits atm.

Others open a hit right away (do it, if it's good!)

Some of the best quals are from a batch where you try out a few - and the requester uses those results as a qual. You'll never know what turns into a good closed qual until it DOES (in this case).
Thanks for the reply. I usually only do surveys, but since MTurk has been so slow lately I'll take your advice and start doing some batch work as well.

Blakkat

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Beliefs %26 Decision Study(~ 8 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Michael White [ALIVAYD5RW6IO]
TurkerView: [ $21.90 / hour ]
Description: In this survey, you will play the Choice Game with another MTurk participant and answer a few questions about your experience.
Duration: 30 Min
Available: 2
Reward: $1.40
Qualifications:
  • Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100
  • Exc: [336528-335939] DoesNotExist
  • HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95
  • CR Research Group #1 GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100
  • Location In US
[3Z18Y091VKH1Q7J52A622GBV2UH1FM]

Mikey Chlanda

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I usually only do surveys, but since MTurk has been so slow lately I'll take your advice and start doing some batch work as well.
just make sure you don't do so many that if they all get rejected, you fall below 98% or 99% approval rating. There's always horror stories about someone doing a batch, they all get rejected, and b/c they don't have much padding, their approval rating sinks to 45%, or 23% or some other horrible number. It takes thousands of hits to recover. What doubly sucks is that you won't qualify for many (most?), so you're picking thru a bunch of shitty hits, trying to find ones that are halfway decent. You'll find yourself working for pennies an hour trying to get out of the hole

Michele

Working on degree in Moon
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Read and make judgments about a series of statements.(~ 8 minutes)Accept
Requester: Moore Lab [A33V7NSHY0CNZ2] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$22.96][Pay=Generous][Approval=~24 hrs][Comm=Unrated][Rej=0][Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.48][Fast=3.76][Comm=2.45][Fair=3.86][Reviews=118][ToS=0]
Reward: $1.50
Duration: 01:30:00
Available: 1
Description: survey
Qualifications: Exc: [336254-335665] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; CR Research Group #1 GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; Location In US

Michele

Working on degree in Moon
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score

sunflowergirl

I love coffee, cats, and flowers
Reaction score
some quals are just nonsense (you request it, it goes into a black hole and the requester never sees it).

Others give you a qual right away and there are no hits atm.

Others open a hit right away (do it, if it's good!)

Some of the best quals are from a batch where you try out a few - and the requester uses those results as a qual. You'll never know what turns into a good closed qual until it DOES (in this case).
Hey all, I just wanted to clarify regarding this thread - are we talking about where it says "request qualification"? If so - cool and yay! :happy:
I didn't know that those ever worked - I just thought that you had to do some weird previous action (some previous HIT, etc.) that you'll never have the ability to access again because it occurred in the past & the HIT doesn't exist anymore, and that it was pointless to ever request that qual.

OR - are we talking about where you have to take a test to qualify for something? Because I have totally separate questions about those. So if we are talking about the "request qualification" thing, and jan @jan answering about how we might sometimes successfully get ones we request, I'm not going to introduce my test-specific questions in this thread to avoid muddying the waters.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Nowicki2021

Reaction score
just make sure you don't do so many that if they all get rejected, you fall below 98% or 99% approval rating. There's always horror stories about someone doing a batch, they all get rejected, and b/c they don't have much padding, their approval rating sinks to 45%, or 23% or some other horrible number. It takes thousands of hits to recover. What doubly sucks is that you won't qualify for many (most?), so you're picking thru a bunch of shitty hits, trying to find ones that are halfway decent. You'll find yourself working for pennies an hour trying to get out of the hole
I have around 3500 HITS completed and only 4 rejections so I should be alright. My last rejection was ridiculous though. The requester literally rejected my HIT because he said he posted an updated one and had enough nerve to tell me I can do another one of HITS. How stupid does he think I am? Haha I sent him 3 messages to remove the rejection but he was unresponsive.

jan

Reaction score
Hey all, I just wanted to clarify regarding this thread - are we talking about where it says "request qualification"? If so - cool and yay!
I didn't know that those ever worked - I just thought that you had to do some weird previous action (some previous HIT, etc.) that you'll never have the ability to access again because it occurred in the past & the HIT doesn't exist anymore, and that it was pointless to ever request that qual.

OR - are we talking about where you have to take a test to qualify for something? Because I have totally separate questions about those. So if we are talking about the "request qualification" thing, and jan @jan answering about how we might sometimes successfully get ones we request, I'm not going to introduce my test-specific questions in this thread to avoid muddying the waters.

Thanks!!
request qual almost never works.

But on mturk - everything is an outlier. So, sometimes it does :wink:.

sunflowergirl

Reaction score
M @Mikey Chlanda - are you saying that with regards to surveys, if you go through them and get the success message and the code to post, that doesn't always count as "approved"? I'm confused...

Nowicki2021

Reaction score
Hey all, I just wanted to clarify regarding this thread - are we talking about where it says "request qualification"? If so - cool and yay!
I didn't know that those ever worked - I just thought that you had to do some weird previous action (some previous HIT, etc.) that you'll never have the ability to access again because it occurred in he past &the HIT doesn't exist anymore, and that it was pointless to ever request that qual.

Thanks!!
I was talking about clicking the qualify link and it'll either say request was successfully sent or it'll say qualification request approved, it could take 5 minutes to recieve your qualification. Everytime it says approved, the HIT never shows up 5 minutes later in my qualified HITS. Someone on Reddit told me to log out and log back in and it should work, or even to clear my browsing history. I tried both and they still never show up.

Reactions: sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl

Reaction score
request qual almost never works.

But on mturk - everything is an outlier. So, sometimes it does :wink:.
Thanks jan @jan - yes, sometimes luck happens! Thanks for clarifying that we're talking about the "request qual" - I'm going to compose a different thread regarding my questions on taking tests for HITs when I have a bit more time later today. Stay tuned (suspenseful music ensues).

Have a great day!

sunflowergirl

Reaction score
I was talking about clicking the qualify link and it'll either say request was successfully sent or it'll say qualification request approved, it could take 5 minutes to recieve your qualification. Everytime it says approved, the HIT never shows up 5 minutes later in my qualified HITS. Someone on Reddit told me to log out and log back in and it should work, or even to clear my browsing history. I tried both and they still never show up.
Nowicki2021 @Nowicki2021 - got it. Thanks for clarifying.

I am learning that MTURK can just be weird and unpredictable at times. I'm in my first 10 days and I'm such a newbie still. So much to learn & these forums are so helpful.

slew

Reaction score
Nowicki2021 @Nowicki2021 - got it. Thanks for clarifying.

I am learning that MTURK can just be weird and unpredictable at times. I'm in my first 10 days and I'm such a newbie still. So much to learn & these forums are so helpful.
It's a process! You got this though! Are you using scripts yet?

Reactions: sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl

Reaction score
With the conversation today around the "request qual" situation - I have another question... is there any way to contact the task requester to explain WHY you should be given the qualification? It seems so odd that there is this randomness otherwise. All they see is this person on MTURK who has clicked their button to request the qualification, and they don't know necessarily why this person is a good fit for their task, other than them trying to decipher your current list of MTURK qualifications. People DO have qualifications that exist outside of MTURK for pete's sake... or maybe had they been on MTURK when this previous wave 1 study happened or whatever, they would have qualified.

Forgive me if this is something I should have been able to figure out by myself, but all I can see is the ability to contact a requester if they are in my dashboard - if I've actually completed one of their HITs.

I would love to qualify for the HIT entitled "Covid-19 & psychological health of people with cats (10-15 mins)(~ 10 minutes)" for $2 - I am definitely interested in this topic - but there are 2 quals for it that I don't have, and I have no clue what they actually mean:
  • TP Panel: 86431744 N is not less than 100
  • Inc: [19-335711] has been granted
I did click to request those quals, but I doubt I will get them.

I have 3 cats, and they have helped me get through COVID lockdowns for sure. Speaking of my cats, one of them is currently snuggled up next to me on my recliner, one of them is sitting on the footstool and is mad that SHE isn't the one snuggled into that spot on the recliner, and the 3rd cat is not in view currently... she is most likely wedged into a spot where she shouldn't be (I did hear something crashing down earlier. Hmmm....)

jan @jan - what are your thoughts on this? Or others that may know?

Thanks for helping this newbie out!

Last edited:

sunflowergirl

Reaction score
It's a process! You got this though! Are you using scripts yet?
S @slew - no, not yet! What's the best one to start out with? I did see that recommendation here on the site, but I haven't dug into it yet.

Mikey Chlanda

Reaction score
M @Mikey Chlanda - are you saying that with regards to surveys, if you go through them and get the success message and the code to post, that doesn't always count as "approved"? I'm confused...
when you get the success message and the code, and input that to mturk, then you submit it. So it counts as 1 hit submitted. The requestor can approve it, or they can reject it if you missed an attention check, answered randomly, or just a shitty requestor. You can see your approval rating, along with # of hits submitted, approved and rejected, on your dashboard on mturk

sunflowergirl

Reaction score
when you get the success message and the code, and input that to mturk, then you submit it. So it counts as 1 hit submitted. The requestor can approve it, or they can reject it if you missed an attention check, answered randomly, or just a shitty requestor. You can see your approval rating, along with # of hits submitted, approved and rejected, on your dashboard on mturk
M @Mikey Chlanda - ah ok, thanks for clarifying. That's an interesting thing to be aware of, so I'm glad you clarified!

I wrongly thought that if I got to the part where I got the code, it was "approved."
Thankfully, I've done heaps of surveys for online money earning - Swagbucks, etc., so I'm tuned into the attention checks and such.

With regards to the dashboard, thanks for mentioning that. It's definitely an important thing to monitor! I've been keeping an eagle eye on it, and out of the 300 HITs I've submitted so far (yes, I'm definitely a newbie), I've only had 1 rejection - I was bummed to see that rejection & wish there was a way to know WHY it was rejected other than messaging the requester... if there is a way to somehow see what that exact HIT was aside from seeing just the title of it, I'd love to know. Like what was the content of it, and what were my inputs. Maybe I'd be able to see what I did wrong and understand it.

Blakkat

Contributor
Reaction score
Reactions: Michele

Mikey Chlanda

Reaction score
I have around 3500 HITS completed and only 4 rejections so I should be alright. My last rejection was ridiculous though. The requester literally rejected my HIT because he said he posted an updated one and had enough nerve to tell me I can do another one of HITS. How stupid does he think I am? Haha I sent him 3 messages to remove the rejection but he was unresponsive.
So if you have 3500 hits - I'm assuming you mean approved, not just completed, you can have 35 rejections before you dip below 99%. Since you already have 4, that means you have a buffer or padding of 31. So when doing a new batch to you, don't do more than 31, just in case. When they get approved, go ahead and do more. You'll miss out on some, but you'll protect your approval rating, which at this point, is more important, since you have so little leeway

Status
Not open for further replies.