11/09 -So I Could Find My Way Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisd6

Reaction score
Just made a rare ebay sale.

PSA to those who do ebay as a additional gig and haven't heard the news yet:

Ebay has set things up that when Paypal is used to pay for the item, you are charged Paypal fees on the sales tax amount the buyer pays when they purchase your item. The good news is Ebay lumps the sale price of the item plus the sales tax collected from the buyer together so you only have one paypal transaction to pay fees on instead of one for the item and one for the sales tax portion. Ebay deducts the sales tax paid from your account and sends it to the proper tax authorities so you aren't on the hook for having to register with the states collecting online sales taxes and remitting that yourself.
What do you sell on eBay? I've always wanted to find something that I have an abundance of and sell it consistently, but it's never worked out for me because I have nowhere to keep things lol

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
What do you sell on eBay? I've always wanted to find something that I have an abundance of and sell it consistently, but it's never worked out for me because I have nowhere to keep things lol
I collect and also sell sports trading cards. I don't know if it's this category or just buyers on ebay, but it seems people want something for nothing rather than pay a reasonable price for something. I list my stuff on ebay at reasonable prices and that something-for-nothing attitude may be why stuff I list doesn't fly out of my collection and into others collections but rather can take a few weeks/months to sell. I also limit to 50 listings which might not help me but I don't want to spend on a store or have additional listing fees for not being able to sell a few items per day.

chrisd6

Reaction score
I collect and also sell sports trading cards. I don't know if it's this category or just buyers on ebay, but it seems people want something for nothing rather than pay a reasonable price for something. I list my stuff on ebay at reasonable prices and that something-for-nothing attitude may be why stuff I list doesn't fly out of my collection and into others collections but rather can take a few weeks/months to sell. I also limit to 50 listings which might not help me but I don't want to spend on a store or have additional listing fees for not being able to sell a few items per day.
Oh, that's cool! I used to collect baseball cards pretty heavily when I was younger. I'm sure they're around in a few boxes at my parents' house somewhere.. I think that something for nothing attitude definitely exists in the trading card area like you mentioned. I had considered selling all mine in bulk but nobody wanted to pay something even remotely fair for them. You kind of brought it up, but when I looked at eBay years ago don't you have to pay just to list something or do I remember wrong? Because I'd have to imagine you're running into trouble with that if stuff isn't flying off the shelves.

Reactions: C to the J

Blakkat

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Experiment to test your perception - 30 minutes | Accept
Requester: Yuri [AQ4AZYM77FQBR] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$16.77] [Pay=Good] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Acceptable] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.67] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=3.80] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=13] [ToS=0]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 3.50
Duration: 3:00:00
Available: 0
Description: Choose which of the two circles appeared in a sequence
Qualifications: Not available from queue exports.

cb456

Let's do some hits!
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score
The real question is will Alabama still get in the playoffs since this will be a close loss
I think they still get a lot of consideration since the game was so close. I think they are still in the picture for sure.

Reactions: Peachy and KYKITTY

C to the J

Outlaw Turker
Contributor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
It's one of those markets where it's really hard to sell something unless you're giving it away because there are millions and millions of items to collect. Too many options for someone in the hobby.

Comic books are the same way. I can have the lowest priced option available and still sit on a comic book/graphic novel for 6 months to a year.

Unless you're really new all it'll take to get that 50 auction limit raised is a quick call with eBay. They are always really nice when talking to support and get your shit handled within 5 minutes.

C to the J

Outlaw Turker
Contributor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Oh, that's cool! I used to collect baseball cards pretty heavily when I was younger. I'm sure they're around in a few boxes at my parents' house somewhere.. I think that something for nothing attitude definitely exists in the trading card area like you mentioned. I had considered selling all mine in bulk but nobody wanted to pay something even remotely fair for them. You kind of brought it up, but when I looked at eBay years ago don't you have to pay just to list something or do I remember wrong? Because I'd have to imagine you're running into trouble with that if stuff isn't flying off the shelves.
No fee required to list your first 50 auctions each month. Then they'll often give you coupons and bonus offers to jump that up to 500 all the time too.

Reactions: cyberwasp

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
like you mentioned. I had considered selling all mine in bulk but nobody wanted to pay something even remotely fair for
If they are from the 80's or early 90's, they are virtually worthless - way overproduced plus people have unopened boxes of that stuff stashed away as if it was an investment so as those worthless boxes become opened, there is more supply added to the hobby.

You could do okay late 1970's and earlier in great condition or 2000s+ if it's a star autograph or more limited print run card.

them. You kind of brought it up, but when I looked at eBay years ago don't you have to pay just to list something or do I remember wrong? Because I'd have to imagine you're running into trouble with that if stuff isn't flying off the shelves.
I think you get 50 listings free (at least I am) but you could pay a monthly fee for a store or pay for additional listings and that is what I think is not worth it since I have a hard time moving the nearly 50 listings I already have.

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
No fee required to list your first 50 auctions each month. Then they'll often give you coupons and bonus offers to jump that up to 500 all the time too.
gotta be careful with that, tho. I add the free 200 listings each time I'm offered it, but I do have a concern that I won't be getting that offer on a regular basis and anything I list over 50 items will face monthly relist charges without a new additional listings promo offer to extend those for free. That's why I stick to 50 items so I don't face the possibility of listing renewal charges.

Reactions: C to the J

afallstarxfall

Spoonfeeder
Social Butterfly
Very Versatile
Reaction score
Title: Chat with a partner in a shopping simulation | Accept
Requester: Alexa Shopping NLP Research [A1W89ORI4UNV0T] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$15.53] [Pay=Good] [Approval=1-3 days] [Comm=Excellent] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=2.83] [Fast=3.00] [Comm=2.67] [Fair=3.50] [Reviews=10] [ToS=0]
Reward: 2.50
Duration: 1:00:00
Available: 1
Description: You will chat with another person to play a shopping-oriented game. (I:eek: wizard_of_amazon_1573321280)

Blakkat

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Study of beliefs and opinions. Approx. 15 minutes. | Accept
Requester: Research Methods [A4JVAZ8IYG82L] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$11.93] [Pay=Good] [Approval=1-3 days] [Comm=Excellent] [Rej=1] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=2.95] [Fast=4.25] [Comm=3.31] [Fair=4.27] [Reviews=322] [ToS=2]
Reward: 1.50
Available: 89
Description: Take part in a 15 minute study of beliefs and opinions. Please note that you will be unable to complete this survey if you are on a mobile phone.

Reactions: JanetW

Blakkat

Contributor
Reaction score

afallstarxfall

Spoonfeeder
Social Butterfly
Very Versatile
Reaction score
Title: Study of beliefs and opinions. Approx. 15 minutes. | Accept
Requester: Research Methods [A4JVAZ8IYG82L] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$12.56] [Pay=Good] [Approval=1-3 days] [Comm=Excellent] [Rej=1] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=2.95] [Fast=4.25] [Comm=3.31] [Fair=4.27] [Reviews=323] [ToS=2]
Reward: 1.50
Available: 81
Description: Take part in a 15 minute study of beliefs and opinions. Please note that you will be unable to complete this survey if you are on a mobile phone.

Kristina M Greer

Reaction score
Goodness, I remember setting up my foster dads business for trading cards and sports memorabilia. He would buy wax boxes and things from live tv auctions and we would sell them in the paper. I was 14 years old then LOL then we started selling stuff at flea world and then I set him up on Ebay. I had so many freaking graded cards at one time.. When Sammy Sosa broke the corked bat and found to be cheating, trading cards took a dive. When my foster dad passed I had over 300k comics and god knows how many cards in a storage unit.. I ended up losing that storage unit. :(

• Sad
Reactions: alk69

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
Goodness, I remember setting up my foster dads business for trading cards and sports memorabilia. He would buy wax boxes and things from live tv auctions and we would sell them in the paper. I was 14 years old then LOL then we
That's pretty good if you were able to turn a profit. I never found home shopping cards to be any kind of extraordinary value so I never bought any from there. Knowing about graded cards and the companies grading them, I wouldn't even be surprised if the shopping networks and grading companies were in cahoots to give cards a higher grade than they actually were so the home shopping could get more money for them.

When Sammy Sosa broke the corked bat and found to be cheating, trading cards took a dive.
That corked bat thing reminds me of the funny Manny Ramirez corked bat card that was released and probably led to the downfall of Pacific Trading Cards.

Reactions: Kristina M Greer

chrisd6

Reaction score
If they are from the 80's or early 90's, they are virtually worthless - way overproduced plus people have unopened boxes of that stuff stashed away as if it was an investment so as those worthless boxes become opened, there is more supply added to the hobby.

You could do okay late 1970's and earlier in great condition or 2000s+ if it's a star autograph or more limited print run card.

I think you get 50 listings free (at least I am) but you could pay a monthly fee for a store or pay for additional listings and that is what I think is not worth it since I have a hard time moving the nearly 50 listings I already have.
Oh, that's cool! Would you say you mostly do that as a hobby then or do you have a goal of making a solid profit from it?

I have some neat cards but I'm way too attached to them to sell. My favorite is a Don Mattingly card with a piece of one of his game-worn uniforms in the card. After I bought that at my local baseball card store as a kid, I managed to get the thing also signed by Don Mattingly. I love that card so much, but I left it with my dad because Don Mattingly is his favorite player.

Reactions: cb456

chrisd6

Reaction score
Title: User Test, Requires Mic, Windows, b904cb9d | PANDA
Requester: SoundingBox (Change Sciences Group) [A1DIWKR9NEY82N] (Req TV): $21.08/hr/hr
(TO): [Pay: 3.30] [Fair: 4.12] [Comm: 3.63] [Fast: 3.91]
Description:
Perform a user test on a website. It's fun and your opinion matters! Microphone required.
Time: 2 hour(s)
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $7.00
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 1000; Study Group Exclusion - c63ecc7e-637c-4d3b-8890-9674d12dbae5 DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 97; Location In US;

Has anyone ever done these? Is it worth it at all? I've always avoided them....

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
Oh, that's cool! Would you say you mostly do that as a hobby then or do you have a goal of making a solid profit from it?
It's like 98% hobby, 2% business. Baseball is my favorite sport so I enjoy collecting baseball cards (and racing cards, too, as NASCAR is up there) but I don't go looking for cheap inventory to resell but rather sell unwanted cards that might have some value from boxes I open or sell parts of my collection I"m not as enfatuated with that I once was and see if I can get a few bucks that way.

That's a cool Mattingly story you told. I pulled a Mattingly autograph from a box of cards once but am keeping it in my collection as he's one of the rare Yankee players that I admired.

Last edited:

chrisd6

Reaction score
It's like 98% hobby, 2% business. Baseball is my favorite sport so I enjoy collecting baseball cards (and racing cards, too, as NASCAR is up there) but I don't go looking for cheap inventory to resell but rather sell unwanted cards that might have some value from boxes I open or sell parts of my collection I"m not as enfatuated with that I once was and see if I can get a few bucks that way.

That's a cool Mattingly story you told. I pulled a Mattingly autograph from a box of cards once but am keeping it in my collection as he's one of the rare Yankee players that I admired.
Sounds like a great hobby to me! Baseball's my favorite sport as well, and it just so happens my favorite team won it all this year!!
That makes sense with how you approach it. Any profit out of a hobby you really enjoy always feels great, so keep at it even if it's small volume!

Wow, was this a box of cards you bought? I can't believe someone would throw a Mattingly autograph in a box like that..

Reactions: Peachy

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
Wow, was this a box of cards you bought? I can't believe someone would throw a Mattingly autograph in a box like that..
I seem to recall it was 2012 Panini Prime Cuts or something like that. Don signed autographs for Panini to stick into boxes, as is common with the vast majority of autographed cards. I was lucky to pull one of those from a box I bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.