11/04 - Mutfruit Monday!

What do you prefer more?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
Next up is a nice telescope for star and moon gazing.
I hope planets are involved - it can be interesting to see the phases of Venus or the rings of Saturn and moons and Great Red Spot of Jupiter. I recommend at least a 4" for decent light collection at a minimum and you may have to do some home modifications to the telescope mount as the mount on a reasonable priced hobbyist telescope that I bought doesn't have good lock-downs once you set it up. I even bought a 10" mirror and made my own homemade dobsonian telescope but it doesn't do any tracking on its own -- you have to move it by hand to follow what you want to see.

Reactions: JDWFM

JDWFM

Reaction score
I hope planets are involved - it can be interesting to see the phases of Venus or the rings of Saturn and moons and Great Red Spot of Jupiter. I recommend at least a 4" for decent light collection at a minimum and you may have to do some home modifications to the telescope mount as the mount on a reasonable priced hobbyist telescope that I bought doesn't have good lock-downs once you set it up. I even bought a 10" mirror and made my own homemade dobsonian telescope but it doesn't do any tracking on its own -- you have to move it by hand to follow what you want to see.
That's awesome! We are starting basic and then moving up as she grows older and as she shows more interest. I am thinking of this guy to start with: Orion SpaceProbe II

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
Well, assuming my approval rate holds I just submitted #9,000. Only 1,000 more until the floodgates open, right? ...right? Please can this be right?
not really. You might be eligible for a more surveys, but you still have to catch them. Consider I'm at 37,000 and surveys are still hard for me to catch.

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
That's awesome! We are starting basic and then moving up as she grows older and as she shows more interest. I am thinking of this guy to start with: Orion SpaceProbe II
Cool that Orion is still around. My first and only commercially-purchased telescope was from Orion and is like this one but was 4" instead of 5" like this one: https://www.telescope.com/Telescope...efinementValueIds=4515&refineByCategoryId=339

Yours looks like a great budget starter scope and then you should be able to buy an equatorial mount and have auto-tracking at some future time if you find this scope works well for you.

afallstarxfall

Spoonfeeder
Social Butterfly
Very Versatile
Reaction score
Title: Judgments of Distress | Accept
Requester: Social Motives Miami University, Johnson PI [A1AM01Q6JF9L7D] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$11.06] [Pay=Fair] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: No Reviews
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 1.75
Duration: 3:00:00
Available: 0
Description: This study explores first impressions. You will be asked to judge other people’s distress in various situations. This survey should take approximately 20-25 minutes to complete, and you will be compensated $1.75 for your participation.
Qualifications: Not available from queue exports.

afallstarxfall

Spoonfeeder
Social Butterfly
Very Versatile
Reaction score
Title: A Word Unscramble Competition(~ 5 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Katherine Sun [A3M4QSWDYWSUP] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$7.32] [Pay=Low] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=5.00] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=0.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=1] [ToS=0]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 1.00
Duration: 30:00