10/01 - Makeover Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
A visit is always a great excuse to clean.....
That's why I don't like visitors.:D
I like when my MIL comes over for that reason - I always do a quick spruce-up and vacuum that I probably wouldn't have otherwise :o_o:

when we were kids and my grandma was coming over we'd all rush around and shove things under the couch and into the closets though... not real cleaning :ROFL:

Peachy

Banned
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score
social media is so toxic. browsing comments on celebrity’s photos on Instagram just now and negative comment after negative comment. a lot of people always have a more braver front behind a screen. they say things they probably wouldn’t say face to face. I feel like (and this is just my personal opinion) that a lot of society will forever be addicted to social media forever now. not all of society, but some.

it’s like it’s engrained into who they are, daily habits, etc. i hardly post on my IG but i do check my feed at least once or twice a day. this has been PeachyRider Morning Reflections

Last edited:

GemStone

Contributor
Reaction score
social media is so toxic. browsing comments on celebrity’s photos on Instagram just now and negative comment after negative comment. a lot of people always have a more braver front behind a screen. they say things they probably wouldn’t say face to face. I feel like (and this is just my personal opinion) that a lot of society will forever be addicted to social media forever now. not all of society, but some.

it’s like it’s engrained into who they are, daily habits, etc. i hardly post on my IG but i do check my feed at least once or twice a day. this has been PeachyRider Morning Reflections
I agree, a lot of people do stuff just so they can post. Social media runs their lives. I hardly post but I look too. I have kids and I like to see what they and their friends are up to.....

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

I couldn't imagine quitting would be any harder than quitting cigarettes. They're addicted because it's available. If, for some reason, it went away forever(I'm crossing all of my fingers) people would go through withdrawals but, eventually, the need for constant acceptance through likes and views would force them to interact the only way that would be left, which would be face to face. Then they'd realize that the communication is more rewarding in that situation and will tell each other stories about how dumb they were when they were "communicating" in such a low-bandwidth fashion while avoiding real interaction with people in their immediate vicinity.

That said, none of this will probably happen. What will probably happen is the younger generation will all end up wearing masks when they go outside to hide their true identity, while displaying emojis to convey feeling. :p

Metallica

Never free, never me
Contributor
Reaction score
a lot of people always have a more braver front behind a screen. they say things they probably wouldn’t say face to face. I feel like (and this is just my personal opinion) that a lot of society will forever be addicted to social media forever now. not all of society, but some.

I'm curious to see the long term effects that SM will have on personal communication. I think kids now are going to grow up way less socially competent than generations before them. It isn't my intention to make this sound inflammatory or anything

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Social Perception Survey(~ 3 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Shoko W. [A1QJ6AOVO1FB8U] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$12.97] [Pay=4.50] [Fast=null] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=2.57] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=0.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=8] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=4.56] [Pen=1.00 days] [Res=null] [Rec=0%] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 0.25
Duration: 1800
Available: 45
Description: Read a short story and give us your opinion about social perception
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; Exc: [109322-108733] DoesNotExist ; c4cd49cf DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 97; Location In US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.3.12
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

savvy

goin' down to the yee-haw
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine quitting would be any harder than quitting cigarettes. They're addicted because it's available. If, for some reason, it went away forever(I'm crossing all of my fingers) people would go through withdrawals but, eventually, the need for constant acceptance through likes and views would force them to interact the only way that would be left, which would be face to face. Then they'd realize that the communication is more rewarding in that situation and will tell each other stories about how dumb they were when they were "communicating" in such a low-bandwidth fashion while avoiding real interaction with people in their immediate vicinity.

That said, none of this will probably happen. What will probably happen is the younger generation will all end up wearing masks when they go outside to hide their true identity, while displaying emojis to convey feeling. :p
there is a scary but good to watch episode of Black Mirror, how the world is run on likes and your star rating - including where you're allowed to live and whatnot. It seems to legit.

I get too entwined in SM, but have a hard time quitting because that's the only place events and updates on a lot of things are posted. Even educational groups for my horse trimming and stuff like that. There aren't really any forums outside of that anymore.

savvy

Reaction score
Title: Study on interesting facts on Isotopia | Accept
Requester: DJ Isotype [APOA3ZOLZTRZ5] Contact
TV: No Reviews
TO: [Pay=5.00] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=0.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=2] [ToS=0]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 8.00
Duration: 7200
Available: 5
Description: You will see 20 information visualizations on Isotopia and will rate the truth of statements on each of them.
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThan 500; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 96
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.3.12
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
WAKE UP! :p[/td][/tr]
i somehow got purple on this, though I have more than 500 hits and my approval rate is definitely above 96 and i've never done it before.

Reactions: NemoRolls and jan

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
there is a scary but good to watch episode of Black Mirror, how the world is run on likes and your star rating - including where you're allowed to live and whatnot. It seems to legit.

I get too entwined in SM, but have a hard time quitting because that's the only place events and updates on a lot of things are posted. Even educational groups for my horse trimming and stuff like that. There aren't really any forums outside of that anymore.
I've seen it. It was pretty good.
Horse groups, for instance, are there because that's where everyone is, to generalize. That said, if everyone went elsewhere or got off SM, the groups and people who want their community updated would follow to keep the community active, sell things, etc. The people were there first. The groups and businesses just follow. With enough people, businesses can be lead anywhere. We have the power, in this one instance.:)

"If you build it, they will come"

Reactions: GemStone

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I'm curious to see the long term effects that SM will have on personal communication. I think kids now are going to grow up way less socially competent than generations before them. It isn't my intention to make this sound inflammatory or anything
My alternate (hopeful) prediction is that it will be seen as 'uncool' to be constantly on your phone when my kids are teenagers. Something old people do. But that dopamine is hard to resist.

The other day the power in our neighborhood went out for around 45mins and literally every single person up and down the street went outside to sit around and chat with the neighbors. It was like bizarro world :spaz:

savvy

Reaction score
My alternate (hopeful) prediction is that it will be seen as 'uncool' to be constantly on your phone when my kids are teenagers. Something old people do. But that dopamine is hard to resist.

The other day the power in our neighborhood went out for around 45mins and literally every single person up and down the street went outside to sit around and chat with the neighbors. It was like bizarro world :spaz:
it's true....college/high schoolers i've met recently, quite a few think facebook is uncool (but they do insta and whatnot)

Reactions: GemStone and Sondi

savvy

Reaction score
I've seen it. It was pretty good.
Horse groups, for instance, are there because that's where everyone is, to generalize. That said, if everyone went elsewhere or got off SM, the groups and people who want their community updated would follow to keep the community active, sell things, etc. The people were there first. The groups and businesses just follow. With enough people, businesses can be lead anywhere. We have the power, in this one instance.:)

"If you build it, they will come"
true, but in the mean time there is a huge lapse of sharing and knowledge and assistance (if I just left facebook) ya know. My farm owners refuse to do facebook, but make me look for things on there for them lol

Reactions: Jerami and Sondi

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
true, but in the mean time there is a huge lapse of sharing and knowledge and assistance (if I just left facebook) ya know. My farm owners refuse to do facebook, but make me look for things on there for them lol
Maybe you should print the things you find for them on an 8.5x11 piece of cheap paper and hand, or mail(do they still have this?), it to them. You could call it something crazy, like a newsletter. Be the change you want to see.:p

I'm just playing now.

Last edited:
Reactions: savvy

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I read this great article a while ago about the emotional labor that Facebook does for us now.

Reactions: savvy
Status
Not open for further replies.