08/25 - Sound of Covers Saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achilles2357

Reaction score
If auto-acceptors become problematic for the site traffic or if requesters strart to complain, then there's no reason why Amazon couldn't "weight" the page requests differently in the future.

For instance, after accepting a HIT, a worker could be given a 10-second "cool-down". This would discourage the potential massive increase in catch-and-release HIT acceptance practices if auto-acceptors become really commonplace. Then other actions, such as previewing a hit would only count like a normal page request.

I'm not too freaked out about the emergence of auto-acceptors because there are currently countless people who use MTS and PC without really understanding how either of them work, and there will be countless people with auto-acceptors doing things to shoot their efficiency in the foot. The effective Turkers will continue to be the effective Turkers, the Turkers that struggle will likely continue to struggle... except for those motivated enough to transcend their struggles, and they will figure it out.
Interesting...
I agree with the basic idea in your last paragraph.
As for a "cool-down" period, it is worth considering that Amazon (as requester) presumably has salaried employees (or maybe salaried contractors... does anyone know the facts?) doing unpaid hits that actually matter to Amazon. Amazon also has tons of batch hits that they want done as quickly and efficiently as possible, and the mturk team presumably grasps that a good chunk of these are done by people using optimizations. (I suppose you could still optimize everything even if everything is on a 10 second time delay...)

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score

BreeQuinn

Contributor
Reaction score
So I just got a captcha for the first time when I tried to long on to Amazon Payments...has anybody else had this happen before?

Reaction score
So I just got a captcha for the first time when I tried to long on to Amazon Payments...has anybody else had this happen before?
I think Amazon likes to Captcha everything once in a while, so I wouldn't have noticed the payments account in particular having one.

BreeQuinn

Contributor
Reaction score
I think Amazon likes to Captcha everything once in a while, so I wouldn't have noticed the payments account in particular having one.
I agree, but in over a year of turking this is the first time I have ever seen this happen.

Achilles2357

Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.